The following article was written by Neelam Pai.
This summer, transform a boring salad into a spectacular one! By adding a few key ingredients, you can have not only a hit dish at a barbecue or the dinner table but also a healthy, guilt-free meal that will keep your beach body looking good. Mix and match the following ingredients in a bowl of fresh baby spinach or arugula, and enjoy either a delicious side salad or gigantic entrée:
- Avocados promote good health and fat burning. In addition, this fruit has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease and is low in saturated fat. Add a few slices of avocado to your salad for a bit of creaminess.
- Adding a tablespoonful of nuts, such as walnuts, pine nuts, or almonds, to your salad will give it more crunchiness while giving you essential minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. Nuts are also a great source of protein. And walnuts are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Fresh broccoli and cauliflower can also add some crunch as well as fiber and vitamin C.
- Tofu is a healthy, versatile, and cruelty-free source of protein.
- Rich in vitamin C and a simple sugar called d-mannose, delicious dried cranberries can protect you from urinary tract infections. In addition, the beautiful dark-red fruit adds color to your salad. If you’re not a fan of cranberries, you can add raisins, currants, or other types of dried fruit instead.
- Apple slices make a great addition to a summer salad because they’re juicy, crunchy, and refreshing. They’re also a great source of fiber and can add a hint of sweetness.
- Beans are packed with protein, fiber, minerals, and antioxidants while also being cholesterol-free. Plus, you can choose from many varieties of beans, allowing you to keep things interesting.
So when making a salad for your next dinner party—or just for yourself—remember that mixing and matching these cruelty-free ingredients will contribute not just health benefits but also loads of flavor.
What ingredients do you like to add to your summer salads? Let us know below!