Let’s take these already-sweet classic cookies, combine them with a lot more sugar, and turn them into cupcakes! This is proof of my firm belief that a dessert can never be too indulgent.To be honest, I wasn’t really into desserts until I started baking them. Sure, I enjoyed cake and soy ice cream as much as the next person, but I never really craved them. Now, I enjoy the science involved in baking. The satisfaction comes from getting the delicate balance among all the ingredients just right—now that is what I crave.
The chocolate cake recipe below is from The Grit’s own bakery, where I once worked. Don’t worry—the recipe was published in The Grit’s cookbook, so it’s not like I’m giving away any secrets. These cupcakes are delicious, with a rich chocolaty flavor enhanced by the strong brewed coffee used in the batter. Another added bonus is that the recipe is almost impossible to mess up. Guaranteed success sounds like as good a reason as any to try a recipe, if you ask me.
4 1/2 cups flour
3 cups sugar 1 cup cocoa
1/2 Tbsp. salt 1 Tbsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1/8 cup vanilla extract
3 cups strongly brewed coffee
1/4 cup plus
2 Tbsp. vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda until well combined.
- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla and mix until just combined. Slowly add the coffee, mixing for a few minutes. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Mix again until very smooth.
- Add the vinegar and mix for 1 minute.
- Fill each cupcake liner about two-thirds full.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.
Cookie Crumble Icing:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup vegan margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup soy milk
10-15 crumbled sandwich cookies
18 cookies for garnish
- Using a hand mixer, combine the sugar, margarine, and vanilla. Mix in the soy milk.*
- Stir in the crumbled cookies.
- Top each cooled cupcake with 1 tablespoon of icing and garnish with half a cookie.
*Note: You may need more or less than 1/3 cup.
Makes 36 servings