If you need a dish to take to all your summer barbecues or something hearty and warm for a cold winter night, look no further. The combination of savory, sweet, and spicy flavors takes this burger to the next level.
Mouthwatering Vegan Sloppy JoesView Recipe
- Olive oil, for frying
- 4 scallions (spring onions), chopped into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 baby chiles, finely chopped
- 16-oz. vegan beef crumbles or 1 cup cooked lentils
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. sweet chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp. mustard
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat and fry half the scallions until slightly browned, then add the chiles and continue to fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegan beef crumbles and fry until browned.
- Add the tomato paste, onion, sweet chili sauce, mustard, chili powder, salt, dark brown sugar, ketchup, tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, and the remaining scallions and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve on a toasted bun (use vegan buttery spread on the bun, if desired). Enjoy!
Makes 2-4 servings.
Adapted with permission from MouthwateringVegan.com