By now I’m sure you know that here at PETA we’re suckers for delicious vegan food and hot vegan fashion. You can imagine my delight when I stumbled upon Jessica Milan’s website, LookbookCookbook.com, which combines these two faves of mine.
Jessica posts simple and mouthwatering vegan recipes (that are also gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free!) and has gorgeous girls pose with the foods while modeling vegan clothing. While browsing her site, you may stop and wonder if you’re actually looking at a designer’s clothing blog!
© Lookbook Cookbook
LookbookCookbook.com’s fun photos and tasty recipes prove what we’ve been saying all along: Compassion is always sexy. See for yourself.
Raw Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches
For the Maple Nut Ice Cream:
1 cup cashews, soaked for 1 hour and rinsed thoroughly
6 Tbsp. organic maple syrup
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, at room temperature
1 cup purified water
1 tsp. cinnamon
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and mix to a smooth liquid.
- Pour the mixture into a small dish until it measures about 1-inch thick.
- Place in the freezer for three hours or until completely frozen.
For the Chocolate Walnut Cookies:
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. raisins
1 cup walnuts
1/4 cup cacao powder
1/8 tsp. sea salt
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and mix well. You’ll know it’s done when you can hold clumps of the mixture and it sticks together.
- Smooth out the dough on a plate or in a large container until it is approximately 1/2-inch thick. (I use a rubber spatula to even it out.) Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden.
- Remove the dough from the freezer and use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes. When no more shapes can be cut, lightly knead the remaining dough with your fingers to thaw it a bit, then smooth it out and flatten again to approximately 1/2-inch thick. Freeze again and cut more shapes until dough is gone.
- When the ice cream is frozen, use the same cookie cutter to cut shapes from it. Place one ice cream shape between two cookie shapes. Put them back in the freezer if they have melted slightly or serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings