With Hanukkah in full swing, one delicious addition to your holiday meals should be a creamy golden beet soup.
Unlike red beets, golden beets have a delicate sweetness that goes well with savory ingredients.
Golden Beet Soup
6 Tbsp. vegan margarine
9 medium golden beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (8-9 cups)
4 1/2 cups chopped onions
4 tsp. peeled and minced fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. finely grated lemon peel
6 cups vegetable broth (more if desired)
2-3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the margarine in a large pot over medium heat. Add the beets, onions, ginger, and lemon peel. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for approximately 1 hour. Remove from the heat and let stand until cool.
- Purée the mixture in a blender or food processor until very smooth, and then return the soup to the pot.
- Add 2 tablespoonfuls of lemon juice and thin with more broth, if desired.
- Season with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice, if desired.
Makes 8 servings