If you ask me, sweet and spicy are flavors that are always better when they’re together. The mixture of chipotle peppers and sweet potatoes in this dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at your next potluck, dinner party, or meal for one (hey, I won’t judge you!). Enjoy!
Chipotle Sweet Potato Skins
5 medium sweet potatoes
3 whole chipotle peppers, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium white onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
Dash salt and pepper
1 8-oz. pkg. vegan chicken strips
1 15-oz. can black beans
1 cup shredded vegan cheese
Optional garnish: avocado, guacamole, or soy sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork and bake until tender, about 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from the oven, slice in half lengthwise, and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Change the oven temperature to 400˚F.
- Sauté the chipotle peppers, garlic, and onion in 1 tablespoonful of the vegetable oil until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add the vegan chicken strips and sauté on medium heat until well cooked, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Heat the black beans separately on the stove or in the microwave.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, scoop out the majority of the flesh, leaving a very thin layer of potato in the skins. You can reserve the scooped-out flesh for another use.
- Coat the potato skins with the remaining oil. Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle a bit of vegan cheese into the hollowed, slightly crispy potatoes. Add a layer of the vegan chicken, followed by a layer of black beans, then top with more vegan cheese. Repeat this step until all the potato skins are filled.
- Bake for 10 more minutes, or until the vegan cheese is melted. Garnish with avocado, guacamole, or soy sour cream.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 4 to 6 servings