Mashing tofu and adding a handful of ingredients such as lemon juice, basil, salt, and garlic leads to a tasty ricotta-style tofu. Many people use tofu ricotta on pizza or in lasagna, but I like to bake it with cooked pasta, such as penne, and plain store-bought marinara sauce.
Let’s see…the tofu cost $1.19, a box of pasta can be purchased for a dollar, and a decent jar of marinara sauce can be purchased for about $2.50. So, for less than 5 bucks, you can have a tasty and simple meal that can feed four. Enjoy!
1 lb. firm tofu, drained
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. dried basil
3/4 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic, minced, or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 lb. cooked pasta
1 jar marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the tofu in a large mixing bowl and mash until the entire block is in medium-sized chunks.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the pasta and sauce, and stir until just combined.
- Pour the pasta into a casserole dish, top with the amount of marinara sauce desired, then cover with the tofu ricotta.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes 4 servings