The following article was written by Jessy Easton.
No time to prepare breakfast? These healthy baked oatmeal squares from the vegetarian cookbook Peas and Thank You by Sarah Methany make a great on-the-run meal. They are simple to prepare and satisfying to eat, and do you want to know the best part? Each square totals less than 150 calories!
Just grab a square on your way out the door to work or the gym or when you’re off on a long day of errands.
Baked Oatmeal Squares
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4-1/2 cup organic brown sugar (depending on how sweet you like your oatmeal)
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup nondairy milk
1/2 block silken tofu
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Toppings: nondairy milk, sliced bananas, strawberries, peanut or almond butter
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and cranberries.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the nondairy milk, tofu, applesauce, and vanilla and process until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
- Spread the mixture into an 8×8-inch pan that has been lightly coated with cooking spray and bake for approximately 40 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve with desired toppings.
Makes 9 2×3-inch squares