Chipotle’s test kitchen has been busy lately, perfecting an in-house spicy vegan chorizo option made from pea protein and flavored with ancho chilies, chipotle peppers, tomato paste, crushed garlic, Spanish smoked paprika, and olive oil. The option is currently being tested at locations in two cities: Denver and Indianapolis. This is the chain’s second vegan protein option since the launch of the extremely popular Sofritas in 2014, made with shredded organic tofu that’s braised with chipotle peppers, roasted poblanos, and spices.
How do you order vegan at Chipotle?
- Decide what you want: a burrito, a taco (soft or crispy), a salad, or a bowl.
2. Ask for Plant-Based Chorizo (if it’s available at your location) or Sofritas, or go for the veggie option.
3. Add beans (pinto or black) and rice (white, brown, or cilantro-lime cauliflower rice).
4. Add some fajita vegetables (green peppers and red onions with salt, oregano, and rice bran oil).
5. Top it with one or all of the salsa options: Fresh Tomato, Roasted Chili-Corn, Tomatillo-Green Chili, or Tomatillo-Red Chili.
6. Finish it off by adding guacamole and a side of salty lime chips—then enjoy!
Going vegan is easy with so many great options available at chain restaurants nationwide. Here’s how to make the transition: