Have you ever thought about the similarities between you and a shark? What about a goldfish? At first glance, it’s easy to miss the similarities for all the apparent differences. But if you look beyond the scales and the ability to breathe underwater, you’re just like a fish!
1. Humans have fishy features! Can you see the similarities? The way your face developed is shockingly similar to that of a fish. Your eyes started out on the sides of your head, and your top lip, jaw, and palate began as gill-like structures on your neck.
4. This shark is your distant cousin! Some 450 million years ago, sharks and humans shared a common ancestor. I can see the resemblance, actually.
5. Just like humans, fish can feel pain—and they also learn to avoid it.
6. You’re not the only one who can rock a Mohawk. This fish’s Mohawk is sure to make a splash at the next Phish concert.
7. Do you remember what you did yesterday? Goldfish can remember things for up to five months. Eleven months after Australian crimson-spotted rainbowfish learned how to escape from their tanks, they could still remember how they did it. And some fish can remember events up to 40 years ago in human time!
8. Fish use forks just as you do! OK, not really. But they do use tools to crack open clam shells.
9. Fish love dogs just as much as you do!
Now that you know that fish are just like you, will you still eat them? Sign the pledge to go vegan and respect fish for the intelligent and interesting animals they are. Check out our fabulous faux-fish recipes and share on Facebook and Twitter so that all your friends will know that fish are just like them!