Ryan Gosling has played many characters on the big screen. But when it comes to animal welfare, he isn’t playing at all. The actor has used his voice and powerful influence to speak up for animals on numerous occasions. So to celebrate his birthday—he turns 37 on Sunday—we’re rounding up six of our favorite Ryan Gosling–is-a-hero-to-animals moments. See which ones made our list!
That one time when Gosling …
RT if u agree with #RyanGosling!
— PETA (@peta) March 24, 2015
2. … wrote a letter to the U.S. Department of Agriculture on PETA’s behalf calling on the agency to revoke its approval of a foam-based extermination method that kills birds by submerging them in foam in order to suffocate them slowly.
3. … fired off a letter on behalf of PETA to KFC Canada (his home country) urging the company to stop its Canadian suppliers’ worst abuses of chickens, who are killed when they’re still just babies.
— PETA (@peta) August 18, 2015
4. … sent a letter on PETA’s behalf to McDonald’s CEO Jim Skinner asking him to adopt a less cruel slaughter method.
5. … sported a shearling-look coat made of laminated painted cotton while portraying Officer K in Blade Runner 2049. Fans went nuts over the cruelty-free garment—so much so that Men’s Health magazine deemed the coat itself award-worthy.
6. … stepped out on multiple occasions wearing his late companion animal George’s dog tag around his neck. Gosling was a notoriously wonderful dog dad, treating George with the love and kindness that all animals deserve.
— Entertainment Tonight (@etnow) September 24, 2017
Be a Hero to Animals, Just Like Ryan
The best birthday present that you could give Gosling would be to be kind and compassionate to all beings, just as he is. Whether it’s what you’re putting on your plate or your body, every decision that you make has the potential to spare animals suffering. Ryan knows it, and now, you do, too. Click the buttons below for a little inspiration: