Some folks made Christmas merry, while others are in need of making some serious New Year’s resolutions to shape up:
- Kisses to hip international clothier Mango. The retailer will no longer sell fur or exotic-animal skins.
- Hisses to Essence magazine for featuring real animal pelts alongside their far more attractive—and humane—faux counterparts in a gallery of “opulent furs.”
- Kisses to the Pacific Islands Conservation Initiative for working to designate the waters surrounding the Cook Islands as a sanctuary where sharks won’t have their fins cut off for soup.
- Hisses to San Juan Mayor Jorge Santini for sending disturbing Christmas cards showing his family standing alongside taxidermied animals.
- Kisses to the Seattle City Council for protecting animals in Puget Sound and the Pacific Ocean by banning plastic bags from groceries and other retail stores, which can kill birds, turtles, and other marine animals when the bags wash into the water and animals ingest them or become entangled in them.
- Hisses to forever flip-flopping Drew Barrymore for betraying animals by ditching her vegetarian diet to please her boyfriend.
- Kisses to Israel for making cat declawing a crime punishable by up to one year in prison and a $20,000 fine.
- Hisses and gag reflexes to Wendy’s for adding a $16 foie gras burger to the menu in its Japanese restaurants.