Petfinder reports that 63 percent of people buy holiday gifts for their dogs. Then there are the birthday presents, valentines … the list goes on and on. While the rope toys and Nylabones give dogs mental stimulation and exercise, our pups get much more of both from the time that they spend with us. Here are five gifts that your dog will love every day of the year:
- Real walks, not “drag-alongs”: Pay attention to when the dog wants to stop and sniff rather than worrying about how fast you are burning calories. Outings to the dog park, where they can safely run off leash, are always appreciated too.
- The opportunity to bark: People talk all day long, yet dogs are often shushed if they bark even once.
- Frequent and prompt bathroom breaks: Don’t get up in the morning and brush your teeth and comb your hair while your dog is waiting to go outside.
- Veterinary checkups: Schedule an annual visit, including a dental exam to check for any painful dental problems. A fresh, clean bowl of water daily helps keep mouths healthy too.
- Time: Don’t be a blur, dashing in, changing clothes, and dashing back out again, leaving your dog to stare at the wall. Get the ball out and throw it, brush his or her coat, or just hang out and have some quality time together.
The joy that these kenneled dogs have when they are able to run free is certainly worth a look.
Written by Ingrid E. Newkirk