Winter Squash Stuffed With ‘Sausage’
2 oz. vegan margarine, plus extra for brushing the squash
2 Tbsp. maple syrup, plus extra for brushing the squash
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 1-lb. acorn squash, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
1 lb. veggie sausage
1 green apple, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped chestnuts, roasted and peeled
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the vegan margarine. Stir in the syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Add 1 or 2 Tbsp. to the hollow center of each squash half and brush it on the cut surface. Save the rest.
• Bake, uncovered and cut side up, for about 40 minutes, or until the flesh is partially cooked.
• In a large bowl, mix the “sausage,” apple, and chestnuts. Set aside.
• Remove the squash from the oven and pour the liquid from the center of each half into the “sausage” mixture. Scoop out some of the partially cooked flesh. (Be careful to leave enough so that the squash still holds its shape.) Chop and mix into the “sausage” mixture. Adjust the flavor with salt and pepper.
• Stuff the squash with the “sausage” mixture. Brush with a little melted vegan margarine and maple syrup. Cover with foil and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
Makes 4 servings