Sweet and Sour “Meatballs”
12 oz. beef-flavored vegetarian sausage roll (try Lightlife Gimme Lean—www.lightlife.com)
1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 slices white bread, crumbled
Egg Replacer equivalent to 2 eggs
A dash each of salt and pepper
Oil for frying
6 oz. chili sauce
5 oz. red currant jelly
• Combine all the ingredients except the oil, chili sauce, and jelly in a bowl and stir until well mixed.
• Heat the oil in a skillet, using just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
• Roll the sausage roll mixture into 1-inch balls then fry them in the oil until they are brown and thoroughly cooked. Drain on paper towels.
• Meanwhile, place the chili sauce and jelly together in a saucepan. Heat and stir until smooth.
• When the mock meatballs are finished cooking, add them to the sauce and stir to thoroughly coat. Simmer over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
Makes approximately 20 “meatballs”