4 cups strawberries, sliced
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
4 Tbsp. margarine
1/2 cup soy milk mixed with 3/4 Tbsp. lemon juice (let stand for 5 minutes)
1 1/2 cup nondairy whipping cream, whipped according to package directions, or nondairy cream-cheese sauce (see below)
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Grease a baking sheet and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, gently stir together the strawberries and 2 Tbsp. of sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and baking soda. Cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then pour in the soy-milk mixture all at once. Using a fork, stir until just moistened.
- Divide the dough into quarters and drop each quarter in a mound onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle them with sugar and bake at 450°F for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.
- Split the shortcakes into 2 layers. Place the bottom layers into individual serving bowls. Spoon some of the strawberries and nondairy whipped cream or 'cream cheese' sauce (see below) over the bottom layers. Add the top layers. Spoon more strawberries and the remaining nondairy whipped cream or 'cream cheese' sauce over tops. Serve immediately.
For the 'Cream Cheese' Sauce: In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup nondairy sour cream and 4 Tbsp. nondairy cream cheese with 2 tsp. sugar until smooth.
Makes 4 servings© Steve Lee Studios