Pressed Sandwich of Barbecued Tofu and Braised Red Cabbage
1 lb. extra firm tofu
4 Tbsp. ketchup
4 Tbsp. soy sauce
4 Tbsp. orange juice
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tsp. chipotle, chopped
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
4 dashes vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 small head of red cabbage (about 2 pounds), quartered, cored, and thinly sliced crosswise
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. red onion, finely sliced
1 large green apple, diced
3 Tbsp. red-wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
• Press tofu for 20 minutes, pat dry, and cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch sections.
• Combine ingredients, mix well, and refrigerate. Marinate tofu in barbecue sauce for up to one day.
• Immerse the cabbage briefly in a bowl of cold water.
• Cook the olive oil and onion in a large, non-corrosive pan until soft and colorless. Remove the cabbage from the water and add it, along with the green apple, red-wine vinegar, maple syrup, and salt, to the pan. Cover pan and cook over medium heat until the cabbage is very soft (about 1 hour). Add boiling water or stock during cooking, if needed.
• To assemble the sandwich, coat one side of two slices of sourdough bread with spicy mustard, spread 1/4 cup of cabbage on the bread, grill two slices of tofu, and add the tofu to the cabbage mixture. Close sandwich, lightly oil bread, and place on a griddle with a sandwich press. Toast both sides until golden brown.