Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chunk Cookies
8 Tbsp. (1 stick) margarine, preferably unsalted, chilled and cut into pieces
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup soft silken tofu
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
• Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
• In a large bowl, cream the margarine with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy. Add both of the sugars and blend well. Add the tofu and vanilla and blend again.
• In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the margarine mixture and mix well. Continue with another 1/3 of the flour mixture, then the final 1/3, mixing after each addition. Then add the peanut butter and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
• Roll the cookie dough into 1-inch balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Allow room for the cookies to spread. Press down twice on each cookie with the back of a fork, flattening it and making a crisscross pattern on top.
• Bake the cookies for 5 to 8 minutes, until light golden brown, and then allow them to cool on the pan.
Makes 4 dozen cookies