4 cups unbleached flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/3 cup plain soy milk
For the Filling:
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1/2 lb. faux ground beef
2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 large cooking carrots, sliced
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup minced green bell pepper
2 tsp. minced garlic clove
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. sea salt
Black pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. margarine, softened (try Earth Balance brand)
• Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
• Using your fingers, mix in the shortening until crumbly.
• Slowly stir in the soy milk, adding just enough to form a soft dough.
• Dust with flour, wrap in wax paper, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 375°F.
• To make the filling, heat the oil in a large skillet. Brown the faux ground beef. Add the potatoes, carrots, onion, bell pepper, garlic, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
• Roll the dough out and cut into 4 large ovals. Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the filling into the center of the dough. Pinch the edges together to form a half moon. Roll the edges up to form a rope.
• Place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with the softened margarine. Let stand for 10 minutes. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 4 servings