Mexican Chocolate Cake
For the Cake:
Coconut oil for greasing the pan
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
Pinch sea salt
Pinch of chili power
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp. orange zest
1 1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp. orange extract
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
• Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch Bundt pan with coconut oil, then line with parchment paper and dust with 2 Tbsp. of cocoa powder.
• Sift 3/4 cup cocoa powder, the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, chili powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
• Beat the coconut oil and sugar together in a separate bowl for 2 minutes. Slowly add the maple syrup, orange zest, almond milk, orange extract, and apple cider vinegar until fully mixed.
• Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Fold with a spatula until the batter is smooth. Pour into the pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes.
• Let cool. Turn out from the pan and drizzle with Creamy Chocolate Frosting.
For the Creamy Chocolate Frosting:
2 cups chocolate chips
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp. orange extract
1 tsp. chili powder
Pinch fine sea salt
• Place the chocolate chips in the top part of a double boiler, stirring until the chips are thoroughly melted.
• Add the remaining ingredients. Whisk until smooth. Immediately drizzle over the cooled Mexican Chocolate Cake.
Makes 1 9-inch Bundt cake