1/2 cup room-temperature vegan margarine
2 cups powdered sugar plus sugar sufficient for dusting
1 3/4 cups creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
12 oz. dark chocolate
• Cream together the margarine, powdered sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla.
• Dust your hands with powdered sugar and roll the dough into small balls.
• Stick a toothpick into the top of each ball. Place in the freezer.
• Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
• Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler or microwave.*
• Taking only a few of the peanut butter balls out of the freezer at a time, dip into the chocolate, leaving 1/4 of the ball uncovered so that it looks like a buckeye.
• After the buckeyes have begun to set, remove the toothpicks and gently smooth the tops to cover the holes. Place on the cookie sheet to cool.
Makes 3 to 4 dozen
* To melt the chocolate in the microwave, place it in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 10 seconds. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the chocolate. Repeat until melted.