Weight Loss Success Stories!

The only weight-loss plan that has been scientifically proved to take weight off and keep it off for more than a year is a vegetarian diet. Have you lost weight on a vegetarian diet? Tell us your story!

“It’s the easiest ‘diet’ I’ve ever been on—I saw results right away.”

Before: 200+ pounds, size 16
After: 134 pounds, size 6

Read Leah’s story

“I went from being a fast-food-loving meat-eater to a vegan overnight.”

Before: 200 pounds
After: 150 pounds

Read Ben’s story

“When I cut out dairy products and eggs, I had so much energy that it felt like I had a whole new body.”

Before: 175 pounds, size 14
After: 130 pounds, size 4

Read Reannon’s story

“I now participate in bodybuilding competitions and recently took second place in a local contest.”

Before: 210 pounds
After: 160 pounds

Read Mike’s story

“Six months after going vegan, I had the peaches-and-cream complexion that I thought I’d never have.”

Before: 167 pounds, size 14
After: 135 pounds, size 6

Read Randi’s story

Commenting is closed.
  • meleny says:

Its not a diet, it’s a lifestyle!

• Diana S says:

As a Texan gal, I never thought I would be able to give up ribs, brisket, and blue bell ice cream. I yo-yo dieted all during high school, and packed on some pounds during high school and college. My highest weight was 148, and I would periodically lose and gain it back during college by calorie-counting and vigorously exercising. I became vegan at the beginning of 2012 for health reasons, and I currently weigh 123 lbs. I feel more confident than I ever thought I would with very little effort. Much easier and more sustainable than calorie counting, or even just “trying to eat healthy” as an omnivore or vegetarian.

My boyfriend, whose dinners frequently consisted of entire pizzas or four big macs, began complaining to me about his (unsurprising) weight gain. After some gentle nagging, he finally watched the movie “Forks Over Knives,” and instantly became vegan. Since then (and it was only about two months ago), he has lost around 15 lbs. He says it’s way easier than dieting or “trying to eat healthy” ever was, that all the work is basically done for you.

And now we both look better with our clothes off! Hats off to veganism for giving both of us an easy, ethically sound and environmentally friendly way to look smokinnn’

• bo says:

Hi my experience as seagan (vegan w some seafood)is that one stays with a 10 pound lighter body weight compare to basically same lifestyle exempt from eating low fat dairy and some meet, let it be said that i quit all BPA containing cans too, life is all we have..

• Zara says:

Before becoming vegan I was between thin and average. I was between a size 4 and 6 (5’7″ female), which for me meant thin but with a bit of annoying belly, arm, and thigh fat. After becoming vegan my “problem areas” smoothed out on its own with no exercise or effort! I now comfortably fit into size 2 clothing. There is a bit of jigglyness left that I could get rid by exercise. I mainly eat a ton of hummus and veggies, coconut milk ice cream, yummy granola and almond milk, veggie burgers, fruits and peanut butter, dark chocolate, and rice noodle stir fry. I became a vegan overnight for ethical reasons but I didnt mind the added weight loss side effect. Haven’t gained the weight back

• VeganMom says:

I’ve been a vegetarian since childhood and raised my family that way, but went vegan recently when I learned (from PETA!) that even on organic dairy or egg farms, animals are often mistreated. I’m part Italian and thought it would be impossible to give up dairy (mozzarella please!), but was surprised to discover that I’m genuinely not interested anymore. Suddenly even the best cheese, yogurt or ice cream is repulsive when you consider sentient beings suffered so that you could have it. Going vegan has made me so much more aware of the impact each of us can have – it’s informed the choices I make on everything from cosmetics to cleaning supplies. It feels good to know that I’m living to a higher standard now, and a happy aside is that it’s basically impossible to eat badly… my numerous food sensitivities and horrendous allergies have totally disappeared! I’d had horrible belly issues for years that cleared up within a week, no exaggeration. I sleep better, have more energy and my skin is at its best. I wish I’d done this from the start. If you’re considering going vegan, try it for a month – you’ll never want to go back.

• Gabriele H says:

The fastest way to control our body weight is choosing the right diet plan. I found that I lost 2 pounds by eating breakfast every morning with green food and special food that help our bodies burn fat and I stumble upon an effective weight loss program. Check this webpage if you want to know 5 healthy food to lose weight and then Click Learn more if you want for more information.

• ktnewvgn says:

I recently became vegan over a week ago and I feel great, I’m tired when I’m supposed to be and sleep like a log all night. I think I’m losing weight although I haven’t had chance to weigh myself, but generally I feel better. Also I just feel much happier with my food choices because I watched ‘Meet your meat’ and ‘If slaughter houses had glass walls’ and was just shocked that in this day and age animals are treated with such little respect, I felt physically sick and emotionally disgusted at the thought of what happens in relaity. I do like the taste of meat, but I don’t think I can eat it again due to the clash with my personal moral and ethical standing on the subject. Animals are a gift not to be wasted and disrespected….

• Marko says:

I’ve been on a vegan diet for three or so months. I’ve lost 17 pounds, my skin looks better, I sleep less and wake up easier, I have more energy, my mind seems more focused and clearer, I feel lighter, I actually feel more positive, and I’m spending less money on food. I know I must sound like an infomercial, but I highly recommend this lifestyle to everyone. I grew up in an Italian household. We ate a lot of meat. I also used to live in Texas where I used to compete in chilli cook offs and BBQ competitions (won several of them). I really don’t miss it. Meals feel like a healthy spiritual experience now, and I can’t remember the last time I felt bloated or too full. I’ll stop typing now, but I really wish everyone was vegan. It’s such an easy fix to several of peoples, and the worlds, problems.

• Shyam says:

I recently became a vegetarian. Can i take whey protein shake and still expect weight loss? I gave up everything else…. bacon, chickhen etc etc

• Chris O. says:

43 year-old man here. I went vegetarian this last new year’s and am now fully vegan for two and a half weeks. I’m really loving how it feels — more energy, sleeping better, fewer aches and pains in the morning, and a generally “lighter”, more spiritual feeling. Maybe it’s psychosomatic, but just knowing that I can not only keep myself alive, but happy and satisfied without making another beautiful creature suffer is a gift that just keeps on giving. That happiness results in me just naturally being kinder to others and to myself. Talk about making the world a better place! I feel great. I have faith that the weight loss will come. I’ve lost about 5-6 pounds since starting, and it would be great to lose more. But no matter what, I’m really loving the way this feels. My wife still eats meat and dairy but she’s totally supportive of my choice. You’d think there’d be big arguments, but it’s really quite easy: we make vegan salads and side dishes that we share, and keep the proteins separate! Just a little effort goes a long way. I don’t know if she’ll ever commit to going as far with this as me, but she’s now eating meat a lot less than she did before (1-2 days a week), and to me, any reduction in animal suffering is better than nothing. So, we live and let live. So, I was 208 when I started, down to 202 now. One great selling point to my wife was, “Hey, if I can get down to 175-180 again, you’ll think I’m so hot you won’t CARE what I’m eating!” :) Peace, everybody.

• Marmalade says:

I started a plant-based diet a month ago, shortly after a birthday dinner that disturbed me at a rotisserie chicken establishment here in Canada. I always ordered the white meat because it comes with a charred and crispy chicken wing – but the one I got was deformed, like a claw. I thought to myself, “What kind of living conditions did this chicken have to endure to end up with a wing that looks like a claw?”

I eased into a vegan diet for the first week – then went full-on vegan after that. I’ve lost 10lbs so far. I’ve tried being a vegetarian a few times in my life, but I made the mistake of not supplementing my diet with D and B12…but this time I actually did my homework and found out what I needed in order to have a balanced diet. I’ve been tempted a few times, but I the weight loss in my body (and conscience ;)) is keeping me going. People say it’s hard to be a vegan, but I found it to be surprisingly easy. My boyfriend is still a meat eater, so I just prepare a vegan equivalent of what he’s eating. The main challenge is incorporating more fresh fruits into my diet – I eat tons of vegetables, and I often forget about fruit. It’s also tempting to add a lot of fat for flavour, but I’m getting better at it as time goes by. :)

• Liveforpassion says:

This is day one of my life as a vegan. Surprisingly, I’m not as hungry as I thought I would be. I’m a Cuban-American so this lifestyle is not in existence. My mom has heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol and she had a stroke so I look @ her as inspiration to live a healthy lifestyle. I’m also reading a book called “eat to live” & it’s a big help in my transition. Wish me luck!

• Jason says:

I was 17 370lbs high blood pressure borderline diabetic and sleep apnea I couldn’t walk up a set of stairs w/o being dizzy and out of breath. then I went vegan
    Im now 6’3 230lbs blood suger and blood pressure is normal no sleep problems and near limitless energy I walk up to 15 miles a day workout and have NEVER felt better :D

• VeganBB says:

People assume that, because you’re Vegan, that you do it for the sake of animal rights. While this is correct in some cases, it is incorrect in that a lot of people become Vegan because of the health benefits. Cancer reduction is a biggie (at least for me). As a MMA fighter, I must have my health at the top of my priority list. I found this cancer screening thing and the score difference was pretty interesting. It also gives some pretty interesting research on specific fruits that can reduce and eliminate it. Sadly people don’t eat enough or any fruit. Could save some money in the long run by avoiding illness all together.

Pretty helpful IMO. Enjoy and diet on!

• Kaitlin6033 says:

Yes, we can be vegan yet consume inadequate or unhealthy caloric intake. If we are mindful and aware of the foods that pass our lips we can know for sure whether or not we are satisfying our bodies of their physical and emotional needs. When our diets are based on plants and whole, natural ingredients it is easy to recognize that we are in touch with our bodies in a way that is beyond what most of our western culture could fathom. Where we are lacking we can realize and correct. Living a life free of animal proteins clears our arteries and our minds in a way that promotes a healthy lifestyle that will benefit us endlessly in years to come.

• Kaitlin6033 says:

Carrnature-
    That is a beautiful realization and it was so kind of you to come to this site and post that. My heart and mind are with you in your journey. At first it feels so hard, trust me, I know! I haven’t consumed meat in 8 years but I have only been vegan for 7 months. I’m now fully committed to this lifestyle, and I still struggle with cravings. When I take a step back and look at the true reasons that I am eating this diet, I am undoubtedly committed. I wish you the absolute best! Be strong. We all have our weaknesses but our knowledge and health can help us to overcome them.

• Tom says:

I grew up in the meat-eating culture of the Midwest. At first, I met a lot of hostility when people found out I went vegan. In three months I have lost almost 30lbs and I look like a totally different person. My complexion is the best it has ever been and feel fantastic. Some of my staunchest critics when I first started have become incredibly supportive and truly see the dramatic impact this has had on my life.

• sarah says:

When I went vegetarian I gained weight because of all the dairy I was eating-not to mention junk food. Going vegan I lost about 35 pounds without even trying. Dairy and meat are the worst things to eat if you’re trying to lose weight. Milk is made for babies to eat when they can’t process solid foods. It’s full of fat for exactly this reason. Cut the middleman and just go vegan.

• Leigh says:

I became a vegetarian 4 years ago when I went to college. Before I became a vegetarian I weighed 120lbs. After two months or so I lost 15 lbs and have been the same weight since. I love being a vegetarian! It is hard work but the benefits your body will receive are priceless.

• carrnature says:

I turned 39 two days ago. I decided to go vegan for a few reasons. I am extremely overweight. I have high blood pressure. I have constant heartburn. I have had enough. I have wanted to become a vegan since my 20′s. I talked to my husband and he has agreed to become vegan also. I don’t want one more animal to die just so we can eat. It’s disgusting. I hope to lose weight, gain energy, and gain more respect for myself because for the first time, I am listening to my heart and being true to myself! I’ll keep you posted.

• Erica says:

Being vegetarian doesn’t mean you will necessarily lose wight. Some people actually gain weight, due to their intake on carbs and nuts. So to avoid gaining weight/maintaining weight you have to limit the carbs and whole grains!!!

• vadalee says:

ive been off meat and meat byproducts for a week and i havent lost anything. i thought i lost 4lbs overnight but then remember i threw up pumpkin seeds so…it had nothing to do with being vegan. anyone have any tips to speed it up?

• rantaboutfuture says:

I grew up on a family farm. I ate everything. Loved dairy. Thought tons of protein (animal protein even) was NECESSARY. My sister watch Forks Over Knives and asked me to try watching it. My wife and I watched it and both have gone vegan. It’s been 4 days. I am literally DEFLATING. That’s a GREAT thing, by the way. All my clothes are getting looser. I feel so much more energy. I was so depressed before this I was having a hard time doing anything. I was going to quit college. I weighed 275 when I went vegan. I ate almost no meat compared to other people. The meat was not the problem, I think. I ate TONS of dairy. All the time. I am now down to about 260 pounds. I am literally deflating. It’s awesome.

• Susan says:

I was very overweight since the birth of my son 10 years ago. I would diet and then regain back my weight plus extra pounds. I was 186 at my heaviest and miserable.
    I stopped eating meat last Spring on my 47th birthday. I lost a few pounds and felt much better and happier. Last August a friend died of cancer and I decided to really change my diet for my health and have been eating a raw vegan diet since. It has been night and day in the effects that it has had on my health. I have lost all of my excess fat and am wearing my pre-pregnancy clothes for the first time in a decade. I am sleeping well at night, can concentrate better and have so much energy. I have been told that I look nothing like my driver’s id pic and will probably change it soon. It’s fun and exciting to wake up and look in the mirror and see the person who I used to be. I feel more like myself and am happier in general.I think that being a vegan is a personal choice of course but I would recommend it to anyone. I love food and eating and don’t feel deprived at all.

• Melissa says:

I am a 34 yr old mother of 4. I have been struggling with weight loss for the past 6 years. At 190 pounds I decided it was time to try something new. All the pills and exercises in the world did nothing for weight loss other than a couple of pounds now and then which would come back immediately. So 5 months ago I decided to do a trial period of going vegan. To me, it was miraculous. In that month, I lost 20 pounds effortlessly. Went down 2 pant sizes and regained self confidence that I thought was lost forever. I only did It for 30 days, and have not gained back one pound. I have decided to go back though, the health benefits are undeniable. I still have high cholesterol and many more pounds to lose to be at a healthy weight. I too have been a dairy fiend for years. Hardest habit for me to break. Never really been a big meat fan, so that part is easy for me. I’m very excited to see and feel the benefits of this as a way of life instead of a “diet”. One of my daughters, who is 10, has also done this with me. She has been suffering with mild weight issues for the past couple of years herself. She enjoys watching herself and mommy transform. Best of luck to you all. Enjoy a happy healthy life!

• Melissa says:

I’ve been vegetarian for about a year but didn’t really see any weight loss results. I’ve been vegan now for only FOUR days and have already lost 9 pounds. It’s amazing. I feel so much better already. I’m never going back and can’t wait to see the results of doing this for an extended time. :)

• Elaina says:

Is there any new success stories? These have been up for years.

• Lola says:

Great article, thanks. I went vegan (from vegetarian) three weeks ago and I have lost 10 pounds…I really wasn’t expecting that. I did eat quite a lot of cheese on my previous vegetarian diet so that’s possibly the biggest drop in calories, but I feel so much better too. Skin is clear, eyes are clear and my dark circles have almost vanished (they got worse before they got better – detox symptoms). I watched the documentary ‘Earthlings’; which you can find to watch on youtube for free; and I just think of the imagery and information given in that if ever I think about cheese or milk or cream (I now make my own oat milk), and I can’t see myself ever eating dairy again. I am thinking about occasionally eating organic, free range eggs from a local farm because I’m slightly concerned about vitamin B12 and believe that supplements can never replace the real vitamin – and I know how brutal a B12 deficiency can be (anxiety, insomnia, etc). I wish I’d taken this decision sooner, not only because I can now look forward to turning 40 and be the only one of my friends who hasn’t gained weight and a middle aged spread, but because I know I’m doing my part to help end needless, insane animal suffering – which is horrific – more horrific than anyone realizes. It’s TRUE that if slaughter houses had glass walls, no one would ever dream of eating meat.

• Caleigh says:

I have been an Ovo lacto vegetarian since may 19, 2011 and I have seen so many improvements in my energy throughout the day and my digesting systems. I may not be losing more than a couple of pounds but I am not gaining which is great. I plan on staying vegetarian for the rest of my life. And starting at 14 years old, with no vegetarian family members can be hard. But, I’ve learned how to cook my meals and change my lifestyle and I love it. Even though I didn’t do it for the animals, I’m glad I did it for my self.

• Danielle says:

I’ve just read some of the things that happen to animals and it just made me feel so sick. For the past year or so I’ve only had meat like once a week but now I’m going to eliminate it. Actually Im going to try and go completely vegan, but that’s going to be hard cuz I love eggs, cheese and yogurt.

• VeganStepMum says:

Very lactose and egg intolerant and still persisted in a heavy dairy and egg diet (always resulting in the fetal position….). Finally decided to take an active stance and gave up all of it. Vegan for 2months so far and I’ve never felt better.

It’s winter and everyone around me is getting sick, but I haven’t had so much as a sniffle (where most winters I’d get 4 decent flu’s).

Definitely recommend!

• tmtrotminor says:

I went vegan about 11/5/2010. I was 230 lbs then. Now (6/23/2011) I’m 164lbs! I used to always get sick and have problems along with feeling like crap all the time. I feel so much better now, both physically and ethically.

• Jeremy says:

Third day vegan. No cravings yet. I’ve been eating great vegan foods at loving hut and other vegetarian restaurants. I’m making myself some nice sandwiches for lunch as well, but dinner is at the restaurant for now.

• Downunderdaz says:

In 1992 I weighed about 100 kilos/210 pounds. A Vegetarian friend of mine told me to try going Veg and my health would improve. I gave it a try and in the first month lost 5 kilos, whilst eating a lot of yummy food. I got down to 81 kilos in the first 12 months without trying. I had never felt better. My weight stayed this way for 5 years until I got married to a Meat Eater.Upon commencing to eat meat again, my weight steadily went up until I reached 135 Kilos/290 Pounds. I developed High Blood Pressure, Chronic Fatigue, tendonitis in both ankles, Depression and more. Upon cutting out the meat again, my weight dropped 7 kilos/16 pounds in 3 weeks, again without trying. I am absolutely convinced this is the way to live. My diet is Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian, Eggs and Dairy, but no meat of any sort- including fish.I will try now to live this way for life.

• quico says:

I went from vegetarian to vegan and went from 305 to 235…I was not looking to lose weight but it was a really nice bonus…still losing weight…nice to be vegan.

• breezy says:

In the last five years since I first made the decision to go vegan, I have lost over 100 lbs. I went from 235lbs. and a size 22 to 129lbs. and a size 4/6, and I have never looked back once. My motivation was always originally for the animals, the enormous improvement in health was only a much-needed bonus.

• 51 Blondie says:

I started the ‘Eat To Live’ diet which for the first 6 weeks is vegan. After 6 days on the diet, I can’t believe how much more energy I have and I’ve lost 5 lbs. already. You will never be hungry on this diet. Can’t wait to see my progress after 6 weeks.

• Brett Alexander says:

Keep an eye on calories. Even healthy fats, such as nuts, nut butters and oils, have calories that add up quickly. Trust me, I would know – you go vegan and then expect it will all drop like magic – but you can put on a few extra pounds with high calorie foods – so just be careful ok. Remember the before and after pictures did not happen overnight? Be Patient.

• salami, F. O says:

Fantastic content,please give us more to read and digest

• Salami Olalekan says:

An excellent post full of useful information.Please I would Like to ask how protruded belly can go down after birth as experienced by some women, in africa

• Kate says:

I have been a life long struggler with weight, as well as struggling with maintaining a completely vegan lifestyle. When I tipped the scale at almost 200lbs I knew it was time for a change. For two months I have adopted a vegetarian/vegan diet and have lost 25lbs and feel incredible!! My skin, which I have also been embarassed about, is clear and glowing and my hair and nails are the strongest and healthiest they have ever been. I am so grateful to have decided to be so kind to my body and the earth by adopting a vegan diet and can’t wait to keep losing the weight!!

• broccolibrains says:

i don’t usually post on things like this but i have a comment for christina… because i was once very very heavy too like 280 pounds on my 5’4 frame. i loved bacon cheeseburgers and mayo and lard. i was considering gastric bypass at one point. i’ve done weight watchers and failed. overeater’s anonymous meetings. i thought i was going to be obese forever. so i know what it’s like to eat and love food. and feel desperate helpless and out of control. and i still love food as a vegan. but i feel so much better about it. i started out being a vegetarian last year and recently decide to be vegan for lent. with diet and exercise i’ve lost 140 pounds. so dear, you weight and your life is yours… no one elses, be kind to yourself and you will feel so much better. abstaining from meat is one of the best things i have ever done in my life. not even in an obnoxious and you can do it. you will be fabulous.

• christina says:

I am currently 382 lbs and I’m 5 feet 2 inches tall.I started eating only fruits and vegetables yesterday,I am determined to lose 150 lbs.However right now I would be happy just to lose 30 pounds.The physical pain of doing every day tasks has become overwhelming.I hope this is the answer for me.I’m desperate.

• AM says:

I’m struggling to lose weight on a vegetarian diet / and not sure if I’m eating too much bread sometimes. But what I have noticed is that I “feel” much better — and I’ve definitely increased my vegetable and fruit intake tremendously — I actually crave them now.

• Kim Jackson says:

In December, I accidentally clicked on a PSA from PETA featuring Paul McCartney. I had no idea as to what I would see and was absolutely horrified. Then I happened on the website portion that showed a racoon being skinned alive. Needless to say, I was traumatized and stopped eating meat that very same day. Since then, my weight has droppede off like crazy. I have more energy and my skin and eyes are clearer. When I feel the desire for meat, I think about that poor racoon and then I’m fine.

• Joy says:

I started eating vegan January 1 and I have lost 10 pounds so far.

• MeMe says:

This is going to sound dumb but I’ve been a vegetarian for over a year an haven’t lost weight. I eat chocolate and meat free junk. You don’t realise until it’s shoved in your face that cows and chickens (as well as other animals) are needlessly exploited and harmed just so people can have milk in their tea and eggs for their breakfast. The young calves and baby chicks are deprived of their own good nutritional needs just so humans can stuff their faces! I didn’t really realise the affect until I read about it so I’m going vegan. First and foremost for the benefit of the animals so they don’t need to suffer (it’s horrendous and I don’t want to be part of it) and secondly to benefit my health more. Don’t really care all that much about my benefit to be honest, as long as Im helping prevent animal suffering.

• Maria says:

I turned vegetarian (including dairy) after Christmas, and in the four weeks since I have lost 4 kilos (8 pounds).

• Chris says:

I turned vegetarian on the 8/12/10 and went down two dress sizes since a few days ago (today is the 12/1/11).

• Alexa says:

I dont really think you need to have a specific vegetarian diet to lose weight. Studies suggest that just being a vegetarian will lose you atleast some weight, see article:
    vegetarian weight loss
    However if you are a vegetarian and you are still not losing weight you should cut down any dairy products you consume as that can be the only other source of real fat.