Top 10 Vegan-Friendly Pizzerias

Remember the days when going out to eat pizza with friends meant that, as a vegan, you were staring at a wall while everyone else chowed down on slice after slice of pies loaded with cheese and meats? Luckily for vegans, those times have passed. It’s now easier than ever to find vegan pizza options in almost any city. It’s so easy, in fact, that I’ve put together a list of the Top 10 Vegan-Friendly Pizzerias in the U.S., and the winners are…

1. Pizza Luce: Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Pizza Luce in Minneapolis carries a plethora of pizza options. With its wide array of vegan mock meats—including mock duck and two different kinds of mock chicken—as well as two types of soy cheese and all your favorite veggies, you can put together almost any pizza your brain can imagine. Not in the mood for pizza? Grab a vegan entrée, such as the Mock Muffuletta.
  2. Pizza Pi: Seattle, Washington
    Pizza Pi in Seattle doesn’t just have vegan options—its entire menu is vegan! Not only is the pizza tasty, there’s loads of variety. Mock meats range from pepperoni to Canadian bacon to veggie sausage, and veggies include sundried tomatoes, artichokes, and capers, to name just a few. Pizza Pi also carries vegan calzones, a wide range of sandwiches, and vegan desserts.
  3. Gianna’s: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    A favorite when in the City of Brotherly Love, Gianna’s has enough options to make any vegan happy. From its wide range of mock meats (sausage, beef, bacon, ham, chicken, and pepperoni) to its interesting list of veggies (broccoli rabe, anyone?), Gianna’s has it all. And it gets extra credit for having vegan sandwich options, including a vegan Philly cheesesteak.
  4. T.J. Scallywaggle’s: Allston (Boston), Massachusetts
    T.J. Scallywaggle’s has an all-vegan menu that is even fun to read. With lots of specialty pizzas named in honor of “Captain Jazelda,” in addition to your standard fare, T.J. Scallywaggle’s is sure to bring out the pirate in you. It also has a bunch of tasty subs, calzones, salads, entrées, and desserts—all vegan!
  5. The Pizza Research Institute: Eugene, Oregon
    Don’t be fooled by the name! This restaurant is much hipper than the words “research institute” imply. However, with all the one-of-a-kind pizzas on the menu, you would think that there really was a staff of food scientists in the kitchen. One standout is the 3P—pears, potato, and pesto.
  6. Slice of Life: Sebastopol, California
    Slice of Life in Sebastopol (near San Francisco) is a fully vegetarian, and mostly vegan, restaurant with a huge menu. It includes not only pizza—such as the Cheeseless Wonder—but also other Italian options, as well as Mexican and traditional American dishes too.
  7. Mac’s Pizza Pub: Cincinnati, Ohio
    Mac’s Pizza Pub is a lively college hangout in Cincinnati. When winding down after an exam (or skipping class!), locals enjoy Mac’s vegan pizza, which is topped with fresh veggies and gourmet vegan mozzarella. But veggie students aren’t limited to just pizza at Mac’s—the pub also offers a Boca burger.
  8. Bella Pizzeria: Norfolk, Virginia
    The hometown pizza favorite of PETA, Bella’s makes a delicious pie, piling plenty of soy cheese on top of a tasty New York-style crust and, if you like, topping it off with classic veggies. In the mood for something a little different? Try the white pizza, which skips the tomato sauce and uses an olive oil-garlic blend as the base under loads of soy cheese.
  9. Pizza Fusion Franchise
    With 23 locations across the country, Pizza Fusion is definitely the biggest vegan-friendly pizzeria. As a company that prides itself on being “green,” Pizza Fusion’s got the right idea by giving the option to get vegan cheese on any pizza, because the best thing we can do for the environment is to go veg!
  10. The Rudyard Kipling: Louisville, Kentucky
    The official pizza place of frontline warriors against Kentucky Fried Cruelty in Louisville is The Rudyard Kipling. The restaurant offers a super-duper healthy crust with more grains than you can shake a breadstick at. Word has it that you can even get polenta on your pies. Also, be sure to check out its famous Vegan Rudyard Burger.

Did I overlook an awesome pizza joint in your neck of the woods? If so, tell us about it!

Commenting is closed.
  • Shaiya says:

The South is often thought of the home of Meat and Three. But the exceptions to the rule are surprisingly good.
    Sister city across the border, Asheville, NC has a plethora of vegan friendly options, but Knoxville, TN has the renown Tomato Head which features a vegan soy cheese pizza plus some vegan baked goods.

• Steven Pollak says:

Silvio’s Organic Pizza in Ann Arbor, MI has countless vegan options on their organic pizza. This is the place!

• Amy says:

Hi Kimberley,
    According to the Pizza Fusion web site, only the gluten-free dough contains eggs. They say their other doughs are always vegan: http://www.pizzafusion.com/menu/what-separates-us/our-gluten-free.aspx.

Hope that helps!

Amy

• Kimberley says:

I was reading the ingredients in Pizza Fusions’ Gluten-Free Dough and ‘eggs’ are listed. How does this make them a top 10 candidate for a Vegan pizza place? I was excited to get one in Houston, but I don’t eat eggs. Does this mean I DON’T have a vegan pizza spot?

• Bonnie says:

Vinnie’s in Williamsburg, Brooklyn always has amazing vegan pizza options. They offer such wondrous pies as vegan black bean chili pizza, vegan bbq chicken pizza and numerous others. They use vegan cheese and meat substitutes, as well as fresh vegetables to make even omnivores’ mouths water (or so I’ve been told). They also make some great “rolls” like the vegan pepperoni roll and they carry Vegan Treats.

I moved from Williamsburg recently and miss Vinnie’s the most!

• Anna says:

I just now turned vegan and It’s been kind of hard on me trying to find things to eat. Are there any pizza places in North Carolina that are Vegan?

• Madeleine says:

Engfer’s Pizza on Seabright Ave in Santa Cruz, CA offers a wood-fired vegan pizza that is just wonderful. They make a tofu spread, top that with yummy red sauce and you pick the toppings! They serve great homemade soup and almost always have a vegan choice. And….they have a listing of the vegan beers available.

• veganmuff says:

Vic’s Pizzeria in Olympia WA has the best crust ever- white or whole wheat. Both are chewy, crispy, kind of salty and garlicky. The menu is not entirely vegan but they offer vegan calzones, daily vegan slices and you can build your own pizza using their several vegan sauces and great ingredient selection. They also offer a selection of locally made vegan desserts.

• jess_shambler says:

Cafe Viva Pizza in NYC is A-MA-ZING! The slices are huge and delicious and they have a ton of vegan options! Plus: Vegan Treats! num num

• Bryan says:

So ecstatic to see Pizza Pi made this list, they really made a lot of great changes! They aren’t the only great veg*n food in Seattle though, check out VegSeattle.com for Pizza Pi + more!

• Bryan says:

Great! I love Pizza Pi, definitely way better since the revamp…which is why they’re being featured on VegSeattle.com, the best resources for vegetarian and vegan eating in the pacific northwest!

• Katie says:

Tucson: Magpies!!!

• Corey says:

City O’ City in Denver, Colorado can make you the most amazing vegan pizza you have ever tasted! They have a variety of choices that range from sauces, to veggies, to fake meats galore! My favorite is a build your own with apricot sauce, cashew ricotta, pinapple, bbq tofu, vegan pepperoni, and vegan sausage. Its sweet, salty, creamy and completely cruelty free! Its on 13th and Grant and they also have a sister restaurant on 17th and Emerson (Watercourse Foods) and a vegan bakery area next door. You can’t beat it!

• kaela says:

where in canada are the top ten places?

• Cam says:

I can’t believe nobody from San Diego has put Stephanie’s Bakery on here. It’s a total vegan bakery in Ocean Beach in San Diego and their pizza is to die for, especially the pesto pizza. The cakes, cinnamon rolls and struedel are amazing also. Check them out at stephaniesbakery.com.

• M. Oxley says:

Krl: I used to agree with you about Pizza Pi, but the new ownership has really turned things around. The restaurant looks cleaner, they gave it a new paint job, the staff are friendlier, and the pizza is much better.

• Val says:

Viva Herbal on 2nd avenue in NYC!! Awesome!

• Jeff says:

The new owners of Pizza Pi have really turned the restaurant around. It’s probably one of my favorite vegan eateries in the city now.

Also, there’s a pizzeria in the Capitol Hill area of Seattle called Juliano’s that offers some delicious vegan options as well (vegan cheesy bread…)

• Liz says:

Galactic Pizza in uptown Minneapolis has so many delicious vegan options! All my non vegan friends would recommend the vegan cheesecake for dessert. Yummm.

• Kristy says:

Austin’s Pizza in Austin, TX, has tons of yummy veggie toppings like artichoke hearts, broccoli, and the usuals, plus you can always substitute soy cheese on your pizza for a nominal fee. They also have fabulous, fresh salads! 11 locations in the Austin, area.. and they deliver!!

• Catrin Thorp says:

Wow, thanks — I’ve lived in Boston for over 20 years and never heard of Scallywaggle’s until just now, but can’t wait to try it! Fellow Bostonians, do check out the vegan baked goods at Fiore’s near the Monument in Jamaica Plain — their Boston “cream” cupcakes and carrot cake are particularly awesome!

• Larissa says:

Back when I lived on the east coast, I loved T.J. Scallywaggle’s. Not only does it have amazing food options that even my meat-eating mother became addicted to, but they have the most friendly staff. And once a week they’d have local musicians play. IE: Elijah Wyman.

• Julie says:

I second Nice Slice in Providence, Rhode Island. They make incredible NYC-style soy cheese pizzas with fake meat options.

• Heidi says:

If you are ever in Orange County, CA, there is this amazing vegetarian and vegan place called Avanti Cafe. They make fantastic vegan pizza with homemade organic crusts and tons of local organic veggies (including yams and kalamata olives!) The chefs there are quite stupendous! Check them out!

• Suri says:

I third City O’City! When I read over the list I couldn’t believe it was missing! If you are in Denver you have to go have pizza there! And some wings…and…a lot of other stuff :D

Also, make sure you visit Watercourse Foods, which is the ‘full resturant’ versus City being the bar/cafe (no pizza at Watercourse, though). The food at both is amazing plus there is a completely vegan bakery! So good!!

To all vistors coming next week: they are open for the DNC :)

• Jenie says:

I can’t believe that Mac’s Pizza made it on the list!! Cincinnati is hardly known for our abundant selection of vegan foods!!! The calzones and the MacOver can also be made vegan. The MacOver is a heart-stopping mouth-watering deep fried calzone.

• sheryl says:

nice slice in providence, ri offers vegan options for most of the items on their menu.

• Serena says:

Girl, let me tell you, I live for pizza, I can not wait to visit some of those places. My city doesn’t have any specific vegan pizza restaurants. I get Papa Jones and Pizza Hut without cheese all the time which is cool and tasty but unfortunately not totally jazzz as it should be.

• Shannon says:

I live in the Bay area, which is a vegan heaven-

Pizza Plaza in Oakland, CA is an all vegetarian pizza shop with choices galore

Lanesplitters pizza in Berkeley has a few vegan options (vegan calzone, vegan pizza, vegan eggplant bake), but it’s a great place to take omnivores, and those who like good beer.

I used to live in Lawrence KS and Rudy Pizza had amazing pizza (without cheese) for vegans- Wednesday night specials for $3.50 for your own pizza.

• Krl says:

Oh, I just checked Pizza Pi’s website and it says under new ownership. If the quality has changed within the last 9 months, I apologize. It was bad for a long time before that though.

• Krl says:

Just so you know. I lived in Seattle for many years and was ate a vegan diet. I have since moved to Portland where the vegan food is abundant. When in Seattle, I tried Pizza Pi over and over again hoping that it would get better. Bottom line. The pizza was gross! Anyone that I went with agreed. I can’t believe it’s even mentioned on this list. There are many places in Portland that make a vegan pizza that are WAY better than any at Pizza Pi. In fact there are places in Seattle that make better pizza there. I’m not sure where Amy got her info. I don’t have an axe to grind with Pizza Pi, I’m glad they are trying. I just would hate for someone to go there thinking that it represents good northwest vegan food. It doesn’t.

• Curtis says:

The Pizza Research Institute in Eugene is SO good! I LOVE IT!

• JC says:

FYI, Gianna’s Grill in Philadelphia had an incident a few years back where they were shut down by the city because they were lying about the cheese in their pizza being vegan. This led to the establishment being boycotted by most of the city’s longstanding vegetarians.

The owners care very little about being animal friendly (they serve just as many hot dogs and cheese steaks as they do vegetarian pizza slices), they just saw an opportunity to cash in.

• mjc says:

i nominate viva herbal pizza in NYC! great stuff.

• Eric says:

I can’t believe there is nothing in New York City!

• Kumudha says:

Any good vegan pizzas in Michigan?

• Brooke cline says:

a really great pizza place in omaha,NE is Zios. its delicious!!!!!! and they have all natural food and tons of veggies and stuff. more veggies than meat! there gourmet vegetarian is the shizness

• Kate says:

Pizza Luce has several locations, actually — one in Duluth, MN, one in St Paul, and three locations in Minneapolis (http://www.pizzaluce.com/locations/) . They are GREAT, too…

There is also a pizza place in Milwaukee, WI that can make vegan pizza called Classic Slice. I never visited it, but I’ve heard good things about it.

• Christina says:

I’m with Lena–Pizza Plaza in Berkeley (also known as Vegan Plaza, http://www.veganplaza.com) features nothing but vegan and vegetarian pizza, loads of faux-meat options and straight veg too. Recently they even started using Teese! Plus who can say no to free delivery?

• calanan says:

Very nice! I second the vote for City O’ City, I recently visited Denver very much enjoyed their pizza (with cashew “cheese”).

Also, I’m putting a good word in for three great Salt Lake City vegan pizza options:

1) The Pie Pizzeria http://www.thepie.com/
    (Near the University of Utah)

Though it’s not listed on their web site, they’re recently begun offering vegan “cheesed” pizzas and calzones at their take out location near the U.

2) Este Pizza http://www.estepizzacompany.com/
    Offers vegan New York-style pizza in the heart of SLC’s Sugarhouse district.

3) Sage’s Cafe http://www.sagescafe.com/

A downtown vegan/organic restaurant with vegan pizzas available, including an all-you-can-eat pizza special on Tuesday nights, where servers offer a variety of pizza combinations throughout the night.

- mike

• CocteauBoy says:

I can’t believe NYC didn’t make the cut? There are some really good Vegan pizza places here!

• Lena says:

Vegan Plaza in Oakland, CA does…well…vegan pizza! With Teese. They deliver, too! All vegan pizzerias are awesome.

I also have to second Fellini in Berkeley. They do great vegan pizza, vegan caesar salads, pasta, and of course, brunch– with all sorts of tofu scramble and french toast. I have to go there at least once a month.

• Zoe says:

Yay, go Minnesota! I love Pizza Luce!
    We’ve actually got another one in town that’s got a ton of awesome pizzas and other foods. It’s my favorite pizza place :D

• Megan says:

Forgot to mention: Fellini in Berkeley also has amazing vegan pizza (and brunch!).

• Megan says:

The P3 at PRI is actually pesto, pears, and potato. :) It was one of my favorites!!

• May says:

::sigh:: I used to live right by Pizza Pi but I never got around to going there. Now I’m kicking myself about it

• Kari Sullivan says:

If these are the top ten, City O City in Denver should be #11 (though I think it should be higher). Every pizza on their menu can be made vegan AND gluten free, and they have two types of homemade vegan cheeses and lots of homemade fake meats. Also, they’re open until 2am every night!

• Peace by Pastries says:

thanks for this post! this will be really helpful for traveling and such! btw, there is a super vegan-friendly pizza place in Kansas City, Missouri called Waldo Pizza…it is amazing! They have TONS of veggie toppings and even have Follow Your Heart Mozzarella and multiple sauces for vegans to choose from! Visitors to KC have to check it out!!

• Kimberly Pye says:

Oh, boy, did you ever! Here’s one in Boston, MA. It’s SOOOO good!

It’s a vegan pizza/sub shop, and it’s wonderful!

• lori says:

Bella Pizza in Norfolk, VA has some delish vegan pizza!