Accidentally Vegan Food List

Vegan Snacks

Grocery stores carry an array of great-tasting vegan options, including some items that you might not know are vegan. “Accidentally vegan” foods are those that were not created intentionally to be marketed to vegan* eaters.

Please note that this list is just for U.S.-based products, as ingredients can vary by region. Companies frequently change their formulations, so read labels prior to purchasing. We are constantly updating this list, so if you know of a vegan product that isn’t currently listed or if you find a product here that isn’t vegan, please contact PETA.

Thank you, and happy munching!

Breakfast (Dry)
Beverages
Snacks
Condiments
Baked Goods
Refrigerated and Frozen Foods
Baking
Staples

*Items listed may contain trace amounts of animal-derived ingredients. While PETA supports a strict adherence to veganism, we put the task of vigorously reducing animal suffering ahead of personal purity. Boycotting products that are 99.9 percent vegan sends the message to manufacturers that there is no market for this food, which ends up hurting more animals. For a more detailed explanation of PETA’s position, please click here.

Commenting is closed.
  • Jc Rodriguez says:

Are Redvines vegan?????? Thanks

• Darcie says:

can anybody tell me a list of uk vegan snacks(sweets if possible) that are 100% vegan

• PlantBased says:

I follow a plant-based diet for health reasons. I am not vegan because while I don’t eat meat, eggs, or dairy, I will eat honey. Too, as long as a food’s list of ingredients is vegan, I don’t worry whether it was produced in a factory that also processes eggs and dairy (otherwise, I could never enjoy Amy’s fabulous products). Now that my non-vegan resume is out of the way, I’d like to say that I doubt that many of the sugar-containing foods in these lists are truly vegan, since it’s likely that the sugar was processed with bone char. High-fructose corn syrup, on the other hand, is vegan in that no animal products are involved in its processing (of course, HFCS brings a different set of baggage to the party). And the chemicals, preservatives, and artificial flavors in many of these products are best avoided by everyone from omnivores to vegans. It seems to me that one would be better off learning how to take advantage of the abundance of healthy whole and minimally-processed foods that are available to people who follow a vegan diet.

• Terry says:

There have ~got~ to more dry cereals than this. Or is this truly exhaustive? For instance, if Cap’n Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch (
    which I do not care for) is vegan, what about plain Cap’n Crunch (which I love)? What about Post cereals, which aren’t mentioned above? Are they all non-vegan? Could you do some more research, or point me to a source that has? Thank you very much.

• alex says:

Skittles are vegan and gluten free

• tiffini says:

Skittles are made by mars candy right? Last I heard they do animal testing.

• A says:

are Skittles vegan

• C says:

I read somewhere that Wheaties were vegan. Is that true?

• Ben Blue says:

I am an accidental vegan. This blog chronicles my transformation: http://www.awesomeveganblog.com

• Genevieve says:

“Although many vegans are highly motivated to change their diet for their health, care deeply about the environment, and try to avoid any connection to animal suffering in their consumer spending, this is not the case for the vast majority of nonvegans. Most people choose what is familiar, convenient, cheap, and tasty.

Modern animal agribusiness doesn’t care about a handful of whole-food locavore hard-core vegans…….What is a threat to entrenched interests are psychologically informed campaigns that accept human nature as it is and work within our current system; e.g., meat reduction and cruelty-free foods that are familiar, convenient, cheap, and tasty.” -Jack Norris RD

SO, thanks for keeping us informed on what we can support that’s familiar, convenient, cheap, and tasty, and I don’t know if there are tiny by-products of animal products’ products in any of these or if the companies that make the cookies are in some way evil, but at least they’re not purposely and directly making much of a profit, if any, off of animal cruelty! because these products are vegan or at least mostly vegan! Change and progress usually happen in increments! So even if these products aren’t pure and tidy perfection, they’re still accessible, and acceptable. If I was a farmed animal, I’d rather people ate any vegan snack instead of anything else.

• Lori White says:

I have an allergy to dairy and noticed many of the products mentioned in fact have dairy (whey). Although I understand you want to encourage manufacturers to keep producing products that are at least 99.9% vegan, maybe putting an asterisk at the end of the products with non vegan ingredients will be beneficial to all that come to the site for information.

• Ishfinn says:

Thank you, this information is really helpful. I took on vegan diet couple of months ago, and overall I find it easy to follow and I realized that I have always naturally preferred food items that are vegan (even me not knowing it). I don’t buy many canned or ready made meals, but when it comes to snacks and sweets…this is where I need help. Thanks a bunch! P.s. I’m careful about saying I’m vegan as I do not follow veganism as far as clothing,

• Penny says:

You have items listed that are made by some of the largest animals testers, Proctor and Gamble (crisco), and Unilever (Knorr). Please consider making note of that so that we can easily remain cruel free.

• MyNameIsDefiance says:

@ ilovehope13, I use Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream Supreme.

• alilbitosunshine says:

@ ilovehope13 they have a Silk version of coffee creamer, i enjoy the french vanilla, and Tofutti has a sour cream; I have never tried but heard it was good.

• mel says:

hi i would like to ask if mr.Tom peanut bar is vegan?

• ilovehope13 says:

This list is so helpful, I am slowly transitioning into the vegan lifestyle as I am in the vegetarian phase right now. Thank You so much for this list. This will definitely help cut my shopping time in half cause I wont need to read the ingredients of everything I pick up at the grocery store! The only thing I have been having a hard time finding is vegan sour cream and coffee creamer. are there any good ones out there that are the same thick consistency?

• Lee says:

@newtothis: i completely agree with you! Well-said!

• ylwlabluv says:

I have been a vegetarian for 10 years now, and just decided to do a vegan trial. So far I’m loving it, however, I have also noticed that the more experienced vegans are quite rude when we “normal” people ask questions about veganism. I strongly believe that these types of people need to take a closer look at the big picture here, which is helping animals. Don’t talk down to someone that is trying to become a vegan. It’s not an easy thing to do, and there’s a long process to figuring it all out. After all, most of us were raised on meat, dairy, or products with those things in them. So let’s just all help one another so that together we can form a larger group to help out all animals :)

• sani says:

Go green – Be vegan! :}

• Donna says:

This is in response to the comment from the person, on 12/12/12 that criticized the list for containing processed foods, rather than those naturally occurring. Why would anyone need a list of “naturally occurring” vegan foods? If it’s a vegetable, fruit, or whole grain, of course it’s vegan. If it’s a dead animal or something that came out of an animal, like milk or eggs, then, it is not vegan. Everyone, presumably, knows an apple, carrot, grain of corn, bean, or grain of wheat is vegan; and a glass of milk or boiled egg is not. The point, here, is to inform folks who want to be vegan which pre-prepared/processed foods are made with only vegan ingrediants. That doesn’t mean a vegan diet should not be comprised, primarily, of whole foods, and and simply supplemented with the processed ones. But, it’s nice to have a product list, like this. Thanks PETA.

• Weight Lifting Complete says:

Researching best foods for vegans and came across this page as many of my readers are vegan. Putting together a guide and found this page. I don’t see a lot of healthy vegan foods on the page as many are processed foods. Actually, it looks like 99% of them are processed foods that are very unhealthy. Do you have a good list of naturally occurring vegan foods? I think it would really help your readers stay healthier and support the vegan lifestyle.

• Newtothis says:

Im just starting off being vegan. After reading the comments section of this posting and other websites I just have one observation. It seems some people might be turned off by the anger that people are showing to each other. You would think vegans would try to support people trying to change but a lot of comments are just pure rude. I hope people are not turned off by this. As for me I would support anyone who even willing to give up one animal product in their life. That is one more animal saved. You can be nasty and rude and turn off someone and you have just caused another animal to be hurt.

• Bina T says:

IS RED BULL® ENERGY DRINK SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS?

Red Bull® Energy Drink is suitable for vegetarians. Red Bull® Energy Drink does not contain any animal products or substances derived from animals.

IS RED BULL® ENERGY DRINK GLUTEN FREE, VEGAN, WHEAT FREE, DAIRY FREE?

Yes, Red Bull® Energy Drink is gluten free, vegan, wheat free, dairy free!

IS TAURINE MADE FROM BULLS’ TESTICLES? IS TAURINE A DERIVATIVE OF BULLS’ TESTICLES OR SEMEN?

The taurine in Red Bull® Energy Drink is a purely synthetic substance produced by pharmaceutical companies and is not derived from animals or animal materials. All ingredients for Red Bull® Energy Drink are synthetically produced by pharmaceutical companies. This guarantees the highest quality.

Taurine is safe.

• Luna Faye says:

How are energy drinks vegan? They contain Taurine.

• slippywoo says:

Has anyone been able to find Famous Amos Oatmeal Macaroons?

• WhereIsYellow says:

Cogs, Red Dye #40 does not contain any animal ingredients. It is produced in a lab and is usually petroleum based. By no means is it natural, but it is vegan.

• cogs says:

nesquik strawberry is not vegan or even vegetarian, it has red dye 40 in it. not to mention the ever mysterious “artificial flavors” which is often made out of upwards of 100 chemicals youve never heard of.

• lwolf88 says:

I have recently gotten a nut, egg, and dairy allergy. Not that I drink or eat any dairy or eggs. However I can’t sine products with any trace of dairy in it. Can.anyone tell me a.site that had 100% vegan lists or possibly tell me some stuff to look for that would be dairy derived. Please and thank you.

• Gray says:

I know that you compiled your list from reading the ingredients. However, being a mom of a highly allergic 5 year old I would like to help others, the way people have helped me! My son now has a Service dog who is trained to detect the smallest traces of his bad allergens. He is allergic to beef, pork, chicken, milk, eggs, white potatoes, green peas, watermelon, apricots, whey, casein, peanuts and tree nuts. The Charms Lollipops do NOT have these ingredients in the listing but she hits on them everytime. Upon further investigation they are made in a facility that processes milk. I can tell you through extensive training this dog does not miss. She has told us on numerous occassions that these lollipops do indeed have trace amounts of milk from cross contamination, on several different bags from several different places. We have never given him products that say “may contain” or “made in a facility that processes..” or “shares equipment with..” for this very reason and now we know for sure that when it says that, 9 times out of 10 it truly does have traces in it. So, just as a tip for moms out there that may be going through what we are it’s best to keep away from those products even if it does limit your childs food availability its definitely better off for them in the long run!

• E says:

Are all of the varieties of Sour Patch Kids vegan or just the normal ones?

• MzLing says:

The poptarts with frosting contain gelatin (yuck!). Opt for the ones without frosting, they only make blueberry, strawberry, and brown sugar without, I believe.

• Emily M says:

Can someone please tell me if Primo pasta is vegan friendly. Thanks!

• EmilyR says:

Nati, poptarts contain gelatin… I think all the poptart knock offs have it too, hidden somewhere in their long list of ingredients.

• Sheena says:

pytor, unfortunately Krunchers jalapeno chips does contains milk products. A lot of flavored chips contain whey/milk products. I think the milk product helps distribute flavor, or is a carrier for the flavor which is why a lot of flavored chips have them. :(
    And Richard, thank you, I completely agree with you! So many vegans are criticizing each other and bickering regarding their definition of veganism. Seriously, spend that energy trying to educate and enlighten meat eaters instead of preaching to the choir.

• Nati Soto says:

What about straberry poptarts? are they vegan?

• pytor says:

Any one know if Krunchers Kettle Cooked Jalapeno Potato Chips are vegan?

• Richard says:

is refined sugar vegan

It depends on how you define “vegan.” Refined sugars do not contain any animal products, and so by an ingredients-based definition of vegan, refined sugar is vegan. However, some refined sugar is processed with animal bone char. The charcoal is used to remove color, impurities, and minerals from sugar. The charcoal is not ‘in’ the sugar, but is used in the process as as a filter. Thus by a process-based definition of vegan, refined sugar may not be considered vegan. For those who would prefer not to use refined sugar, there are several alternatives: raw, turbinado, beet sugar, succanat, date sugar, fructose, barley malt, rice syrup, corn syrup, molasses, and maple syrup.

However, if one accepts a process-based definition of vegan, then many other familiar products would also not be considered vegan. For instance, steel and vulcanized rubber are produced using animal fats and, in many areas, groundwater and surface water is filtered through bone charcoal filters. So, is a box of pasta that contains no animal products, but has transported to the store in a steel truck on rubber wheels and then cooked in boiling water at your home, vegan? Under a process-based definition, possibly not. But according to such a definition, it would be difficult to find any product in this country that is “vegan.”

lets not point fingers at Oreos and say your not vegan you contain refined sugar which may contain bone char filters while we take showers at home in tap water that has been filtered in bone char.

lets consintrate on more important things like not eating animals or wearing fur.

• Michelle says:

Jester- For the record, I see below someone says that Oreos contain Whey and no THEY DO NOT.

• dpriddle says:

Oreos in North America shouldn’t contain whey powder, although the refined sugar may or may not be vegan. Oreos in Europe and UK do contain whey powder.
    Red Bull IS vegan. The taurine in that (and many other energy drinks) is completely synthetic. Not exactly natural, but not from animals either.

• Matt says:

Cordon Bleu mushroom sauce appears to be vegan

• Kiri says:

Ah disappointed got super excited thinking Oreos were vegan

• DanaS says:

All these comments bashing this food list are not helping people who are trying to transition to a vegan lifestyle. Do the critics have a point? Yes, they do. But, I think it is sad that you are missing the bigger picture. If this list can help transition a person from eating about 31 animals per year to eating 1/4 of an animal in byproducts per year, don’t you think that’s a real improvement? Of course, in a perfect world, we would all just wake up one day and be 100% vegan, but it is not realistic when trying to get more people on board with cruelty free living.

As a vegan, I think, we need to be careful not to repel people with militant attitudes, who truly want to change their lifestyles. Our main focus should be to reduce the number of animals suffering and not competing to be the “best” vegan in the world.

• Veronica S. says:

How did Redbull make this list? Where does the taurine come from for that? Has anyone researched why it is called Redbull in the first place?

• Jester says:

I’d like to bring to your attention that Oreo’s and any Oreo’s product (right now[August 27,2012]) Is NOT Vegan. It contains Whey powder which is the by product of milk. Milk is a No-no.

• alaskanjosh says:

top ramen oriental flavor has milk in the seasoning packet.
    the noodles are vegan but the sauce isnt

• Bobbwa says:

It would be nice if everyone would have read

Before getting in an uproar about some of the items on the list.

• Kelsey says:

You may want to note that Arnold is known as Oroweat in some areas.

• mbhornback says:

I’m very confused A lot of the foods listed on this website (brand names) have dairy on thier package ! How can they be vegan if that is psoted on the packaging

• Ali, Dr. McDougall's Right Foods says:

Thanks for sharing! You can also find our vegan products at many stores throughout the country including Whole Foods, Albertson’s, Meijer, Safeway, Publix, Giant, and many many more!