Vegan Shoe of the Month: Combat Boots

The following is a guest post by PETA staffer Royale.

Who is the vegan vixen?

She is strong, but compassionate; she is a lover and a fighter; and she is down for the cause and for causing a scene. In a word, she’s a trooper. And this trooper is all about wearing her heart on her feet.

The lace-up combat boot is the perfect look for enemy-engaging, animal-defending dames. It’s coming in hot this fall, and with plenty of vegan options, there’s no excuse for animal casualties. Mid-calf or knee-high or buckled, zipped, or laced, each pair comes with a personality all its own. Just add activist.

So lace up, it’s time to kick some fur-wearing, animal-experimenting, meat-eating derrière, ladies. Don’t like our style, Nuclear Wintour? Tough chic.

And just so you know, the vegan versions are signified by the pink heart!

Kors Michael Kors Joplin Boot: $395

Be all you can be in boots that are cute and cruelty-free!

Forward march in fashion-forward footwear!

Robert Clergerie Astor: $795

Rough-and-tumble reaches new heights … of compassion!

Joie Tall Lace-Up Boot: $535

So which pair will you be giving cruelty the boot in? Tell me in the comment section below.

Commenting is closed.
  • shelby gaitan says:

The $80 Aldo Galuski creme colored clogs are sinfully glamorous. The rest are ALL also hot, but that one pair… oooh la la.

• Krisa says:

I love the white and the tan! Great prices as well!

• Renita says:

I like the Newport News Clog, because of the stitching down the front. Can you please tell me what they are made of, thanks:)

• Jamie Damico says:

Love the Forever 21’s, don’t know if I can handle that much heel though. Hope you write on other types of shoes soon!

• Kendra says:

I like the newport news ones.

• Rebecca says:

Love the Forever 21 Biker Babe Blogs cant get the link to work tho :) cant find them on Forever 21 either maybe they’ve sold out :)

• Lauren says:

tres chic!

• Robin M. says:

I’m usually not a fan of clogs… But I love these! I want a pair… I might need a retail therapy day and buy some….. :)

• Casey says:

I love the ones from forever 21, i saw them a few days ago. I don’t think i’m going to buy them but they are cute. :)

• Rachel says:

I LOVE the dark brown ones!! So cute!! :)

• Heather McKnight says:

I love them all!!!! They are all so amazing.

• jacqueline Saint John says:

This is fabulous! I won’t wear leather period! I would rather look hideous than torture an animal. However; what a treat to find an inexpensive company that had attractive shoes that are vegan~God Bless you~

• Rubi says:

I love Danica Braided Chain Sandals ♥ ♥ ♥
    but where can I find them in Mexico?¿?

• Kelly Patchett says:

I LOVE THEM ALL!

• Lillian says:

Thanks to Cassandra for clearing up the stuff about synthetic vs. leather as regards eco impact. That is great info for when people, in real life situations, get critical about your vegan choices; it helps to give an informative reply and then let it go at that.

As regards the comment about the cruelty of gladiator fights, I think it is important to remember that the gladiator sandal is already in style (I saw them all over Milan), and these are the vegan alternatives to the leather ones. I actually never knew the gladiators of ancient Rome were vegan. Yet another awesome tidbit to put out there the next time someone says that you can’t be athletic/muscular and vegan!

Yes, the ancient gladiators had to engage in cruel animal fights. They were slaves! There was rampant animal and human cruelty in ancient Rome. Just watch that Ridley Scott film, Gladiator, with Joaquin Phoenix. He’s a vegan too. But not in the film. In the film he is a sick, sick man.

Great movie, though. And yes, Katelyn, the Anya T-Strap Wedges are swwwwwwwwwweeeet!

• Katelyn says:

I looove the Anya T-Strap Wedges, the perfect edgy vegan accessory!!!

• kay says:

Lovely but a little too expensive for the average worker, wages would need to be high to purchase these.

• Meliana says:

Gorgeous!!! :D

• Living // How to Survive (and Enjoy) a Nonvegan BBQ! // PETA says:

[…] And remember, the Fourth of July is a celebration, so try to keep it positive. Believe me: The delicious vegan food that you take to the party will speak volumes about why people should go vegan. But if someone gets up in your grill about what you’re putting on the grill, you have our permission to get as sassy as those cute leather-free sandals that you’re wearing. […]

• hans says:

give us some sandals for men, please! And: isn’t it slightly bizarre to mention something as cruel as gladiator fights so specifically when talking about cruelty free shoes?

• cynthia says:

where can i get them ? i live in the netherlands

• Christina Brown says:

LOVE THEM!

• Georgi says:

I really like the Montana by Cleopatra… but I’m an 11W ! Cruelty fashions that fit my feet please.

• Mandi says:

Peta states that the shoes with a pink heart next to them are the vegan versions of the leather shoes. The steve madden shoes are stated above as not being vegan.

• Megan says:

love the Danica Braided Chain Sandals by Forever 21. so pretty!

• misis ransom says:

love these with golden top ;DD

• Cassandra says:

Responding to Ariel’s comment which i find interesting. I don’t work for any shoe manufacturer but have long looked at the benefits of wearing man made vs genuine leather and i am beginning to think the latter is less impactful to earth. Many people always think man made material is polluting becoz it uses petrochemicals and genuine leather is not but the fact of it is, genuine leather is just as polluting. To stabilize skin, you need at least 200 over chemicals such as chromium, formaldehyde and a range of acids to ensure that what is biodegradable becomes non biodegradable. The toxic chemicals then pollute the water nearby the tanneries and also cause many ailments to the workers as well as the people and wildlife living nearby. Also, in order to breed animals for slaugther, rainforests have to be cleared to make the farms. Massive deforestation means extinction of wildlife and global warming. Farms produce 15 – 25% of greenhouse gas in the form of methane, which is more toxic then carbon dioxide. So, at the end of the day, i can say that there is no product, be it made of synthetic materials or genuine leather that is not polluting and 100% sustainable. That is living in a dream. Even if the company does take stringent controls of ensuring they use water based glue, recyclable materials, recycle their waste, etc, it will still contribute to some form of pollution – with the use of electricity, vehicle pollution (their staffs won’t be coming to work in hybrid cars would they, do you?), etc etc. So, at the end of the day, nothing is really eco friendly. Manmade material is 1)polluting and 2)harms the earth. Genuine leather 1)kills animals (and this is not just about leather, this is also about killing exotic animals like phytons, lizards, crocs), 2)is just as polluting and 3)harms the earth.Even tho companies like Steve Madden don’t fully make vegan shoes, i applaud them from introducing man made alternatives so that animal lovers can choose. Stop pointing finger at Peta who is only trying to spotlight these alternatives.

• Claudia says:

I like the 3rd pair best but why are they so hard to find in england?

• Fred says:

Sorry ladies but i think this is BS!!!! how come they do all these awesome deals and stuff for yall and not for guys!!! i guess guys cant be vegans after all if we dont have any incentives… just putting it out there!!! let me know what yall think :P

• Georgie Dicks says:

I like the Anya 11 T strapped wedge from Miss Me. X

• Diane Bird says:

Okay, now I feel bad for splurging. Katie, Ariel, and Melissa all make very good points. Next time I really a pair of shoes I’m looking for a vegan company like Pangea. They don’t use sweatshops, and maybe they will have some of those shoes made from recycled material.

• Sa'Misty says:

the Sysco Gladiator Sandal by Steve Madden are the cutest things I’ve ever seen!

• Danielle says:

Danica braided chain sandals from Forever 21 are soooo cute!!! And they’re cheap too!

• Magdalena says:

Miss Me Women’s Anya-11 T-Strap Wedge – definitely!

• valerie says:

according to the steve madden website the shoe: Chainge is made with leather upper? why was it added to this fab list?

• Kelsy says:

The Sysco sandals are simple, yet cute!

• Emily Hunt says:

Montana Black Stitched and Studded Cuffed Thong by Cleopatra, they are super nice! Thanks :)

• Dani says:

I definitely like the braided ones the best… which is funny ’cause they have my name in the style! :P

• melissa says:

I never see you guys do reviews on shoes made by vegan shoe companies who built their companies around animal rights and social responsibility. Steven Madden, Seychelles and some of the other brands you review do tons of leather shoes and non leather is a small percentage of their business. I think they can care less for animal rights.

• Ariel says:

I agree with Katie. Why is PETA promoting the use of petrochemicals when the oil industry is causing more destruction to animal habitat than leather shoes ever will? Just look at this recent BP oil spill and all the death and destruction resulting from that, and now you want me to buy these synthetic shoes and support that industry?! No thank you. You all need to wake up and organize your priorities.

• Harmony Idleburg says:

i LOVE the Keziah knotted sandals! they’re sooo cute!

• Victoria says:

I really like the Sysco Gladiator by Steve Madden!

• FINA says:

Chainge by Steve Madden is my favorite.

• jennifer says:

The sandals look great but, for me the price is high. I can wish for a pair but, that is all I get for now!!!

• Kari Walbert says:

I LIKE THE SYSCO GLADIATOR SANDALS!

• Diane Bird says:

I linked to the website to look at the Anya-11 by Miss Me and ended up buying another vegan pair. It was the Kiki-16 Gladiator Sandal. The website, Endless.com is not vegan, so you have to read carefully. (I did NOT need another pair of shoes! PETA lead me into temptation).

• Pippa Dean says:

I am loving them all but, in particular, the Danica Braided Chain.

• Ivy says:

The Danica Braided chain is my favorite!

• Renata Marquez says:

I loved the Keziah Knotted Sandals by Forever 21, I will wear them all the time and the price its really convinient and plus, they are crueltly free :)

• Nancy Worsham says:

What a terrific alternative to leather! I like the first and the last pairs!