16 Things You Need to Know Before Buying That Sweater

Written by Liam Cronin | September 25, 2013

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IMAGES ARE GRAPHIC (NSFW) AND WILL MAKE YOU REFUSE TO WEAR WOOL EVER AGAIN.

1. About 25 percent of the world’s wool comes from Australia.

2. Young lambs’ ears are hole-punched, their tails are chopped off, and the males are castrated, all usually without anesthetics or pain relief.

3. It is considered “normal” in the Australian wool industry for approximately 3 million young lambs to die every spring.

4. Lambs sometimes die because of poor nutrition.

5. This wound is the result of a process called “mulesing,” and it’s standard practice in the industry.

6. During “mulesing,” workers carve huge strips of skin off the backs of lambs’ legs and around their tails.

7. Or workers attach vise-like clamps to their flesh until it dies and sloughs off.

8. In the rush to produce more wool, many sheep die from exposure after premature shearing.

9. An unnatural overload of wool also causes animals to die of heat exhaustion during hot months.

10. During shearing, sheep can sustain anything from nicks to complete amputations of their udders, ears, penises, and other body parts.

11. Eyewitness: “I have seen shearers punch sheep with their shears or their fists until the sheep’s nose bled. I have seen sheep with half their faces shorn off.”

12. During auction, the pens are crowded and sheep may die because of injuries or stress.

13. When sheep age and their wool production declines, they are sent to slaughter.

14. Millions of live sheep are shipped from Australia to the Middle East and North Africa every year.

15. A 2005 report stated that about 38,000 sheep died in transit. In most cases, their carcasses were thrown overboard.

16. In New Zealand, methane emissions from enteric fermentation, coming mostly from sheep, make up more than 90 percent of the nation’s greenhouse-gas emissions.

Don’t support an industry that treats sheep as disposable and not as the smart, sensitive, dignified animals they are. Sheep deserve better. Pledge never to wear wool now!

Commenting is closed.
  • Arthur in the Garden! says:

Disgusting.

• Rhonda says:

How can human beings be so cruel? I don’t wear wool or eat meat and try to contribute to the suffering of any living creature…This torture of animals Has to stop…Sharing…

• MyLadyAlexis says:

I don’t have to worry about wearing wool because I’m highly allergic to it and am I ever glad I am.

• Lea says:

This is such terrible behaviour of mankind! This is called a holocaust! So many lovely kind and friendly sheeps, who do no harm to humans, are slaughtered in this way. How can we call ourselfs kind when we, as humans, treat mother nature in this way! Stop this evil, do not eat meat, do not buy wool! Give money to support all animal protecting activities!

• Karen a killeen says:

I am sickened by the trance state of us humans. This is outright infliction of immense and horrific suffeting that humanity accepts as normal. WAKE UP FROM THE TRANCE NOW!! we are all connected ad living beings with hearts and faces. WE MUST STOP THIS HORRIFIC MURDERING OF LIFE!!

• Linda Witt says:

We live pretty cushy lives, there is no need for this cruelty. But how to convince our fellow humans that we are not shepherding but destroying? I receive so many sneers. Oh well, keep up the good fight!

• Richard B says:

There is currently an on-going attempt to close down the Australian Australian Wool Industry. This petition is by PETA (or ‘others’ not wanting Australian competition perhaps?) but it fails to mention that the UNITED STATES is also a major wool producer and has similar practices. This petition contains misinformation as it also confuses fat lamb (live exports) with wool producing sheep. Wool sheep just produce wool. Mulesing is practiced by some but many within the sheep industry want it banned. Shearer who punch sheep or cause serious blade injury get sacked – who wants to employ them? Rubber rings on tails cause little problems after the first hour or two and the alternative of deadly fly strike. Sheep are herded and shorn once a year and spend the rest of it eating, drinking & sleeping. The wool industry is one of the least cruel industries. Wool is natural, synthetics are from non-renewable resources. Room for improvement in the industry?Yes! But you should do your own research before signing petitions…I do now.

• jimmy says:

just reading and seeing this makes me ashame to be human ! this is just disgusting !

• Carlos Acosta says:

New Zealanders should be ashamed of this. I thought it was a peaceful, green and respectful country aware of animal abuse. I made a mistake

• Mimi says:

That is not right.Thank you so much for this report. As an animal lover, I know how hard it was to witness any cruelties to animals. Because of PETA, I decided to buy only vegan clothes and food. Thank you!!!

• adriana gabril says:

Stop this gruel things! It is embarrassing to be called a human.

• Donna Carignan says:

Don’t buy wool save the sheep from horrific treatment. To cruel. Its not worth it. Save the sheep of the world.

• Lisa White says:

I HAD NO IDEA ! NO MORE WOOL >>>>>>>> EVER !

• Tallie Jones says:

I don’t support. Don’t wear wool don’t eat them ether.

• Jacob says:

The first point about Australia is confusing (“About 25 percent of the world’s wool comes from Australia.” — so…?). What’s wrong with Australia? Why should that fact lead anyone to stay away from wool?

I think some clarification is necessary.

(e.g. As a vegan, I eat lots of Vegemite, which also comes from Australia. So should I avoid that?

• Sidney Kafker says:

When will we be a civilization that practices compassion toward all earth’s creatures? I read this and wept.

• Rosland Sherrod says:

In the end, man will be judged harshly by their mistreatment of Gods true ANGELS in this world!

• Christine Fowler says:

How can governments let this atrocity go on??? God gave us this creatures, and would be disgusted in the inhumane way they are treated. They feel pain, love, anxiety….I will never buy anything wool, EVER!!!

• sonia says:

ES UNA ATROCIDAD LO QUE ESTAN HACIENDO
    ES UNA PRACTICA BARBARIE

• Jessica says:

That is very sad!!! If they just treated them right and slowed down people could enjoy the warmth. But of course their is always some uncaring gready bastarded!!!

• Rachel Jones says:

heart breaking! people have no idea!!
    The only way is to go VEGAN!!
    RIP all animals who are used, abused then murdered! Their life is as important to them as your and mine….. :-(

• titti Divìccar says:

I’m human,what a shame!

• Siri Valdman says:

We MUST move from Human to Kind. As it is now; “HumanKind” do not deserve that description!

• sofia12 says:

Why don’t animal cruelty laws apply here? Is it because Austrailia doesn’t have them or because they are exempt? I know the same type cruelty happens in the US so thinking they are exempt and don’t understand why.

This should not be legal regardless of whether it’s a business or an individual

• Marian & Ron Glass says:

GROSS!!!!

• Seher says:

BAN THE WOOL INDUSSTRY THE FUR INDUSTRY & THE MEAT INDUSTRY !!

• Rebecca Marsh says:

I am crying.

• vanesa says:

oh god

• Ceyda says:

Hayvan ölümlerine hayır….

• Danielle says:

je ne peux accepter toute cette cruauté envers nos petites bêtes, j’espère que vous vous réussirez

• HARI says:

very disgusting ,

• Daniel Jones says:

You don’t take a life or hurt, just for money. God knows, when you do!

• James Brown says:

Humans are the cruelest creatures on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• goritcheva says:

Arrete!

• Anne Vevers says:

Ashamed to be human, how can these people sleep peacefully when they have torch armed so many innocents?!

• Jörgen Har says:

Människa är den vidrigaste varelse som finns som kan göra så mot andra varelser.
    I grunden så ligger det som vanligt ekonomi,girighet !

• hashimoto koichi says:

I LOVE PEACE

• arpita-mariam says:

Thats really disgusting…people should be sooo ashamed about doing this cruelity to animals!!!

• joelle says:

i would like to address this comment to all the industries who use animals for the products : animals are living souls, just like babies and humans, if you want to make wool sweaters, you still can but cruelty free!!! how hard is that???? to respect a living soul!!!! sheep are giving us their coat to protect us from the cold…why cant we take it peacefully without hurting them???? its a way to tell them thank you for this warm shelter!!!! Please stopppppp animal cruelty!!!!!!!

• Kristie says:

Farming is barbaric in great numbers.

• Jk Torres says:

I think sheeps are one of the most lovable and unharmful animals…why dont we give them respect and proper treatment the way we treat our family,friends and love ones considering the fact that they are not doing anything wrong to us human beings

• Rinki Dahiya says:

why do they remove these sheep’s tail with flesh ?

• Helen says:

Made me physically sick…. I am appalled at the amount of cruelty performed on animals. It’s time for ACTION all animal welfare groups must unite to become ONE STRONG VOICE. While they concentrate on their own agendas MORE animals are SUFFERING. Identify one issue at a time a combined effort will produce RESULTS which will reduce animal cruelty.

• Imran Haider Thaheem says:

Humanitarians should stand against this act of brutality worldwide, so that governments make necessary arrangements against this cruel acts.

• helen says:

disgusting – didn’t know Australia was a 1/3 world country!!!

• ORN says:

What the hell is wrong with this world ?

• advaita says:

what happened to humanity? never have and never will buy wool.

• Marilyn Capps says:

This is just TERRIBLE there is NO reason to treat the sheep this way. Will not buy any wool products. EVER

• Cy Capacillo says:

Good thing I live in a tropical country so I dont have to wear wool. Is there any petitions for this case so we can help out?