11 Things That Crystal the Monkey Would Rather Be Doing

Written by Vanessa Cunningham | October 10, 2012

UPDATE: After immense pressure from PETA, advertisers, and supporters like you, NBC has made the decision to pull Animal Practice from its fall lineup.

Crystal, who plays a veterinarian’s “pet” on Animal Practice, is a capuchin monkey who has been exploited in numerous commercials, TV shows, and movies. What might she be doing if she were allowed to live her life as nature intended instead of being forced to perform on a sitcom?

1. Taking a nap

2. Shakin’ her tail feathers

And wavin’ her tail in the air like she just don’t care.

3. Skipping rocks

4. Getting a piggyback ride

I could get used to this.

5. Playing hide and seek

6. Grubbing on some fruit

7. Exploring her inner yogi

My cat pose still needs a little work.

8. Climbing a tree

9. Preparing for the Capuch-a-lympics

10. Monkeying around with her family

jehb | cc 2.0

11. Having a best friend she can relate to—not a Hollywood producer or a human actor but a fellow monkey whom she can spend her days and nights playing, climbing, foraging, and being free with

Kyle May | cc 2.0

razvan.orendovici | cc 2.0

Commenting is closed.
  • American says:

I have to disagree with this. Maybe when Crystal was younger she would’ve wanted to be with other monkeys but now that she is 18 years old and has spent nearly all her life with humans it would be even more unethical to try and release her to be with other monkeys. She wouldn’t be able to survive, unless you think she should be in a zoo which is even more hypocritical. And while no animals are not our playthings, we are the dominant species and you can look it up but humans aren’t the creatures to take “pets”. Also I think that while that while Crystal may be doing a lot, she always has food, shelter, and protection something that she wouldn’t have in the wild.

• chander kumar soni says:

i love these creatures.

• iza says:

Iwas dismayed to hear about this poor monkey. I hope it’s possible to reach the people responsible for the show and urge to stop using harmless and innocent animals for sick entertainment!

• Aviles says:

Excellent article! We are linking to this great content on our website.
    Keep up the good writing.

• Marler says:

Incredible quest there. What happened after? Thanks!

• Blankenship says:

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for
    animal practice monkey

• Salcedo says:

Hi there! I hope you do not mind but I decided to publish your web site: http:
    //www.peta.org/living/Animal-Friendly-Fun/11-things-that-crystal-the-monkey-would-rather-be-doing.

aspx to my on-line directory. I used, ” 11 Things That Crystal the Monkey Would Rather Be Doing | PETA.org”
    as your blog headline. I hope this is fine with you.
    If perhaps you’d like me to change the title or remove it entirely, contact me at tristansalcedo@inbox.com. Thanks for your time.

• Millard says:

Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your post. I like to write a little
    comment to support you.

• Shuvi says:

Wish there was something we (I) could do about it. I hate seeing animals on TV.

• nicola says:

im with michael peyper!! animals are NOT our playthings!! stop using them as if they wer ours to do with as we please!!!!

• stephanie Loreto says:

This is shameful …. you would not take a child away from their mother so I dont understand why it is ok.
    We say Monkeys are so much like humans but we still think we are so superior to them and all animals.
    Cancel this show or remove the poor animals you are imprisoning

• Billie Kaine says:

Simple you IDIOTS. Leave them alone. Imagine one of yours being used for this, you would be outraged. Animals do have rights and yet you continue with no care. Have any of you actually thought how unhappy she is. Let her be with her own. Please

• Alexandra Dedic says:

Stop animal performances. This goes against nature ! I would never come to one of your sick shows and my friends and family neither ! You have lost a HUGE customer base, with just one person spreading negative word of mouth ! You could do things without animals, and more people would attend your shows.

• Amani says:

I disapprove the use of wild animals in entertainment. Please stop using them. They deserve to be in their natural habitat

• Pauline Hulspas says:

Please cancel Animal Practice since wild animals should not be used and abused as entertainment toys!

Best regards

• sneha says:

Stop animal practice.

• Makiko Fujji says:

VEGAN IS SO NATURAL It’s Love ANIMAL’s

• Michael Peyper says:

I do NOT approve of animals (monkeys) used for entertainment. People/Companies like you disgust me!!

• Mandy says:

This breaks my heart. I hope this show and shows of this nature do not continue.