17 Vegan Makeup Brushes for a Kinder Makeup Bag
Did you know that some makeup brushes are made with real animal hair? It’s true, and the animals didn’t give up their hair willingly—they were either farmed and killed in a slaughterhouse or trapped. The good news is that brushes made with high-tech synthetic fibers perform just as well (or even better!), without harming a hair on an animal’s head.
Here are just some of the benefits of using a synthetic brush over one made with animal hair:
- They’re easier to clean.
- They repel bacteria and dirt better than animal hair does.
- Many people have allergies to animal hair.
- They shed less, if at all.
- They work with both cream and powder makeup products.
There’s simply no reason to use animal-hair brushes, especially when there are so many high-quality synthetic brushes available. Check out these companies’ luxurious offerings:
1. wet n wild recently made a decision that will send a positive message to cosmetics companies around the world: It’s dropping all animal hair from its makeup brushes and going vegan!
2. Too Faced Cosmetics carries cruelty-free brushes and a brush set that’s made from “‘Teddy Bear Hair’ that feels identical to the soft and silky smooth hair of real animals without the cruelty involved in making traditional ‘animal hair’ brushes.”
3. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics is 100 percent vegan and specializes in bold, wild colors. The company is famous for its Lip Tar, which you can apply with its professional-quality synthetic makeup brushes.
4. INIKA’s brushes are all vegan, and it offers a set that includes eight different brushes—perfect for the makeup artist in your life.
5. Aveda’s brushes are made of taklon, and some have a flax-infused, recycled-resin handle. They’re animal- and eco-friendly!
6. The Body Shop knows that if you wouldn’t apply makeup using your cat’s tail, you wouldn’t want to use any other animal’s tail, either: Its brushes never contain animal hair.
7. Ecco Bella has a range of animal-free brushes that complement its cruelty-free cosmetics. Try its vegan brow brush for a perfect application every time.
8. EcoTools’ makeup brushes are made with cruelty-free taklon bristles, sustainable bamboo handles, and other natural and recyclable materials to keep you andthe Earth looking beautiful. Alicia Silverstone is a fan of these luxurious yet affordable brushes, which can be found in many drugstores.
9. Origins Natural Resources’ brushes are super-soft and cruelty-free—just like the rest of its personal-care products.
10. Urban Decay’s Good Karma brushes tickle your face with synthetic taklon. They’re perfect for applying eye shadow and under-eye concealer.
11. Branded J Collections knows that animal-hair brushes are bad not only for animals but also your skin. Unlike animal-hair brushes—which are loaded with preservatives that can cause your skin to break out and collect dead skin cells and bacteria—Branded J’s collection of custom-cut taklon brushes is animal-friendly, anti-bacterial, and great for applying makeup.
12. Alima Pure is another company that recognizes the benefits of soft, synthetic taklon fiber. It offers a wide variety of brushes to make all of your makeup dreams come true.
13. Nanshy uses only super-soft synthetic “hair” in its lush vegan brushes—which are famous for their durability, flexibility, and easy maintenance.
14. W3LL PEOPLE was founded, in part, by a cosmetic dermatologist and a self-described “treehugger,” who state that they use only natural and organic ingredients “not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because they’re better.”
15. Valana Minerals knows that there’s no need to sacrifice quality or animals in the pursuit of beauty. Its luxurious synthetic makeup brushes are perfect for applying its cruelty-free vegan powder, foundation, blush, bronzer, and eye color.
16. Afterglow Cosmetics’ brushes are uniquely designed to give you a beautiful flawless finish. Handmade with taklon, they’re super-soft and ideal for applying lipstick evenly.
17. 100% Pure wants you to “[b]rush away all other products that aren’t cruelty-free and get yourself something from our vegan line of organic makeup brushes now!” We couldn’t have said it better ourselves.
Search here for cruelty-free cosmetics to use with your new brushes.