My Beauty Bunny’s Favorite Products

The following is a guest article written by Jen Mathews, editor in chief of My Beauty Bunny, a cruelty-free beauty blog for stylish ladies and gents.

As the editor-in-chief of a cruelty-free beauty blog, people often ask me which products are the best. Of course, that depends on your skin type, hair type, and personal preferences. And it’s amazing how one product will totally FAIL for me and then someone else I know will absolutely LOVE it!

That being said, I would like to share with you a few of my favorite cruelty-free products. I hope you’ll love them as much as I do.

Alba Pineapple Enzyme Facial Cleanser is the best cleanser! For reference, I have sensitive, combination skin with frequent breakouts. A good friend recommended this to me—she has extremely sensitive skin (more sensitive than mine), and she also loves Alba’s facial cleanser. It has enzymes to remove dead skin and dirt, but it doesn’t dry out your skin at all. It makes your skin feel super soft without leaving any residue! You can buy it in drugstores. It’s a definite must-try!

L’uvalla Balancing Day/Night Cream is a fairly thick cream that manages to go on smooth and leave no greasy residue! It’s perfect for my combination skin. It has essential oils (lotus flower, thyme, rosemary, clove, etc.) to treat acne and natural oils (such as argan oil and hazel seed oil) to nourish the skin and heal acne.

bareMinerals Matte mineral foundation] gives me a shine-free finish (which lasts almost all day on my shiny areas), minimizes my pores, evens out my skin tone and protects my skin from sun damage (SPF 15). It is designed to be worn alone, but I usually layer it over liquid foundation for more coverage.

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion is a cult favorite for a reason. Put it on your eyelids, let it dry, and then apply your favorite eye shadow (M.A.C. is my fave). The primer creates a smooth base, makes the colors pop, and, most importantly, keeps your eye shadow from creasing! It stays on all day—really! The only possible drawback is that you have less opportunity to blend because the eye shadow stays where you put it. So just make sure you stay in the lines!

What are your favorite cruelty-free products?

Commenting is closed.
  • Mary flavin says:

I have always bought make-up that’s not tested on animals but lately it seems that they all do. I had to stop using Estée Lauder & now I hear urban decay isn’t safe anymore either! Can u please let me know what make up I can buy here in Ireland that is cruelty free? I often look up PETA to see what products ye suggest but never seem to recognise any as Irish sellers. Please help.

• Niamh says:

Urban Decay are still actually Cruelty Free because they decided in the end not to sell to China, because after further talks they decided that it went against their core values. Lets hope many other companies overturn their decisions too. It is quite scary that even though Europe has a ban on animal testing, that with it’s citizens’ new spending powers, China can change so many companies policies.

• Lauren says:

Check out lush fresh handmade cosmetics. It’s company that is not only against animal testing but fighting it. They often have petitions even in the store. They do not test on animals or buy from anyone that tests on animals and so on all the way to the original source. Fair trade & organic. Helps local communities. Over a great company.

• Marissa says:

*Sigh* Urban Decay as of 2012 tests on animals because they sell in China. Bare Escentials is owned by Sheseido which is NOTORIOUS for animal testing.
    MAC and Chanel are huge offenders- MAC didn’t use to be.
    And Loreal is also a huge offender right up there with Este Lauder.
    You can’t trust them when they say their “products aren’t tested on animals” because they can test the ingredients. You can’t trust them when they say “against animal testing” because that doesn’t mean they don’t do it, and you can’t trust when they say “we do not test on animals” because they can pay another company to do it. Uncaged and BUAV are much better resources than PETA because they include the companies that don’t test that have been bought by huge corporations that do (Burt’s Bees, Tom’s)

• Marissa says:

MAC and Chanel are huge offenders- MAC didn’t use to be.
    And Loreal is also a huge offender right up there with Este Lauder.

• VeganLifer says:

Response from Bath and Body Works question, “does your company have any vegan products?”

August 6, 2012:
    “In answer to your question, at this time none of our products are made to be classified as Vegan or Kosher; however, we certainly welcome you to review the product ingredients to determine whether or not they are fitting for you.”

• Daryl says:

I can’t find out if most of the make up I like is not tested on animals like I saw Lancome on the list but when I contacted them they said they were not testing on animals.

I would also like to know if Channel, or Laurea Mercier is on the list I couldn’t find either of them but I would like to know for sure.

• Erin says:

Hey y’all, just wanted to give you a heads up; Urban Decay recently disclosed that their Eyeshadow Primer Potions actually are not vegan. If you go to their website, you’ll see that they are no longer on the “Vegan” cosmetics list. Boo! The only vegan eye primer I am aware of is Fyrinnae’s Pixie Epoxy.

• dawn w says:

You can also check the cruelty-free lists on aavs.org & navs.org. By the way,what happened to Hard Candy? Wasn’t that a high-end brand?Now it’s sold at Wal-Mart (where I refuse to shop for ethical reasons).

• Ashley-P says:

Hi Vanessa, Limited Brands (parent co of Victoria’s Secret, Bath and Body Works, etc) is cruelty-free and Victoria’s Secret has been on our list for 2 decades.

• Vanessa says:

Victorias secret does test on animals…look at their parent company!! PETA has them as cruelty free. PETA can be misinformed as well, so please do not rely on this site alone. They even have some “vegan” foods wrong…oy

• Vicki1234 says:

Arbonne. My mother sells it. It is all plant based products. And they have everything. Not just makeup. They also carry skin care products. Like anti aging, and acne sets, and other things. They also have stuff for baby’s. Like hair and body wash, body lotion, diaper rash cream, baby oil. They also have many different things for tanning. And very good sunscreen. I absolutely love Arbonne. And the makeup they have is crazy beautiful. They also have a website, where you can order anything you want.

• Chelsea says:

I sell an Ultra-Premium Swiss Formulated kin care & cosmetics range called Arbonne which I am proud to promote we are “Vegan Certified” as our whole range does not contain any animal products or by-products and we have never tested on animals!!
    I love to educate people on the importance of safe skin care and learn how important it is for us to know what we are putting on our skins and how it can affect us.

• Vegan4Life says:

I love Alba products! My mom has been using their products for years. Their body butters are also amazing, the smells remind me of the beach. They are animals friendly and cheap!

• NeverShoutSarah says:

Hard Candy and Bath and Body Works

• THE GRINNING DOGGY says:

I like NYX cosmetics and agree they are a very inexpensive choice to go with, when one prefers to save money by not purchasing from certain high end brand cosmetic companies.

There are lots of colors to choose from- especially when it comes to their large and reasonably priced eye make up line.

(IMPORTANT: While NYX cosmetics are deemed cruelty free;their cosmetic brushes made from animal hair are not.
    This would apply to any company that makes cosmetic brushes from animal hair. Go for SYNTHETIC COSMETIC BRUSHES!)

Also ECOTOOLS has make up application tools that take into consideration our environment, as well as keeping products cruelty free.
    *NOTE*- People are under the assumption that mineral make up is good for their skin. Not all mineral make up is healthy. If the word MICRO is in the list- avoid. Check out the safe cosmetics database from EWG.org to find out if your make up is safe and if it is cruelty free.

• sandrad says:

Trying to find out if benefit cosmetics test on animals. I know they are not on PETA’s list but not all cruelty free companies are. I have emailed them and got some pretty interesting answers. most people would read it and say they DON’T test but I am very critical about it. I am copying my emails and their responses.. would love to get feedback. In my opinion they never actually state that they don’t test formulations on animals and they never state that their manufacturers/suppliers don’t test… take a look
    (My email)
    I wanted to let you (the company) know that I have been purchasing benefit products for a couple of years and love them; however, I just found out that you test on animals. Being an animal lover and activist I am sad by this information. I will no longer purchase any items from benefit. I encourage you to change your policy on testing to include no animal testing on any ingredients, formulations or finished products. I hope that one day this change is made so that I may buy benefit products again as I do think they are the best around. Until then I will only purchase products and encourage others to purchase products from the list of companies that are vegan/cruelty free off of PETA’s website.

(response)
    thank you for your inquiry regarding this very important issue.

Benefit Cosmetics does not perform or allow animal testing on bulk or finished products. In addition, Benefit Cosmetics does not request that its product manufacturers test on animals. However, we do not make any claims to be vegan. We try to formulate all products without animal derived materials–however, since there may be elements or trace elements of animal derived materials somewhere in the chain of materials used, we cannot say that our products do not contain any animal derived ingredients/materials, as we cannot guarantee this 100% throughout all products as a blanket statement.

In conformity with European rules, tests on ingredients are not done on animals when other methods exist to ensure the safety of those ingredients. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thanks for your interest in this matter and for shopping with Benefit Cosmetics.

Sarah S.
    Benefit Cosmetics Customer Service

(my email)
    Hi, Thank you for the quick response to my email;however, I am wondering what ‘bulk’ means when you wrote that none of your bulk or finished products are tested on animals…
    I am also wary about 2 statements made which were 1. we don’t request our manufacturers to test on animals and 2. the part about European rules and using different methods of testing if they are available. These two statements can be deceiving. Can you simply state specifically that you do not test any ingredients or formulations on animals? Do you know 100% that your manufacturers or suppliers do not test ingredients, etc on animals?

(response)
    Hello Sandra,

Thanks for writing to Benefit Cosmetics.

Once the ingredients arrive at Benefit they are not tested on animals, the finish product are not tested on animals either. We do not claim to be vegan free since we get out ingredients from other manufactures. We do not request that they test the products on animals before they are sent to us. We cannot say that our products do not contain any animal derived ingredients/materials, as we cannot guarantee this 100% throughout all products as a blanket statement.

Samantha B.
    Benefit Cosmetics Customer Service

• Lydia says:

The best site for checking out beauty products is safecosmetics.org. Either put in the brand or search for products that are carcinogen free, etc. I even printed off their 15-page list of companies that have signed their treaty. Btw, MAC is NOT on the list, as were several others that I’ve used for years but did not know they continue to put poisons/animal products in their cosmetics!

• stella says:

NYX is the best ever they have fn colors and great makeup that dose not kill animals. (NYX is way better than MAC)

• Anastashia says:

I just recently discovered that NYX Cosmetics is also Cruelty free which is displayed on the bottom of their webpage!!! They’re like the cheaper version of MAC.

• Losveganos says:

Keys sum block is super yummy and good for everyday.
    Mineral fusion compact powders available at whole foods.
    And hemp lipstick.
    For clothes, sweetskins hemp and check out more trees hemp clothes, owned by vegans.

• embracedangel says:

Mine is bareMinerals, and hard candy…which from what I hear is the cheaper version of Urban decay.

• Losveganos says:

Can u write something about vegan fillers that would replace bottom??
    I read that restalyne may not be vegan.

• Aneliese says: