13 Eye-Opening Photos of Animals in Labs

Written by Vanessa Cunningham | April 23, 2013

The pain that animals face every day for product testing, crude curiosity-driven experiments, and deadly medical training exercises are completely horrifying and indefensible. Animals are not disposable laboratory tools, they are individuals just like us who want to be free and don’t want to be forced to endure lives of pain and terror. Take a look at the faces of animal testing and see why we should end experimentation on animals.

Rats are not even considered animals under the federal Animal Welfare Act, even though rats and mice make up approximately 95 percent of the animals suffering in labs.

This dog, named Brock, was purchased from a local shelter by the University of Utah to be used in experiments.

This rabbit was tormented and mutilated by an experimenter at the University of Utah who attaches devices to the bones of rabbits and sheep.

These two young chimpanzees were confined at SEMA, a notoriously cruel Maryland laboratory that PETA helped expose a quarter-century ago.

This cat, named Double Trouble, endured invasive surgeries on her brain, ears, and skull at the University of Wisconsin–Madison.

NJ, like Double Trouble, also had holes drilled into her head, a post screwed to her skull, and metal coils stitched to her eyes.

These terrified monkeys are having experimental chemicals forced up their noses by employees at Covance, a private laboratory that other companies pay to conduct tests on animals.

In a crude experiment at the University of Utah, this cat, named Robert, had an electrode implanted into his brain. Following PETA’s shocking undercover investigation at the school, Robert was released.

This rabbit had chemicals dripped into her eyes and rubbed on her bare skin in cruel product tests at a Biosearch laboratory.

These monkeys are a few of the thousands of monkeys imprisoned at the Oregon National Primate Research Center, which was the subject of a PETA undercover investigation.

YOU can help stop this cruelty. Take action to help end experimentation on animals TODAY!

Commenting is closed.
  • patricia champine says:

this is discusting they are not even using things that would be sone to humans in there reserch why would a human need chemicles shoved up there nose very disturbing these places need to be monatored betterr discusting crewl in humane stop stop stop them now

• debbie says:

this is horrible it has to STOP

• Suzanne Vivenzio says:

Animals in labs are upsetting and pointless. I STRONGLY support any and ALL things necessary to end this NEEDLESS practice of absolute inhumanity!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sonny Derr says:

There is a GOD and this use of these animals was not his intention.

• dore elisabeth says:

ces experiences sont inutiles il serait temps de les arreter

• MARIBEL GARCIA says:

This is very inhuman. How they can make this to this vulnerable and lovely? This actions need to end and the responsibles deserve to be punished with all the weight of the Law.

• Kathy Paolellla says:

These are really some sick people that can do this to any animal. You are some truly barbaric individuals and I hope that you rot in ____!!!!!

• Debbie Stone says:

It must take some horribly insensitive human to do such things to any of these animals. I truly hope that they all rot in _ell! You will get your turn in the end. Sick,sick humans!!!!

• Diane says:

Please stop this torturing of animals.

• Lavonda Morris says:

stop all animal testing…we have other ways of doing tests..this is barbaric

• Katrin Büttne says:

PLEASE STOP THIS CRUELTY! No more animal abuse! I can´t stand to see all this animals suffering for product testing! Please stop this horrible cruelty!

• Raj Maru says:

Please stop all these cruel experiments on animals. Those speechless creatures can’t even express their pain in words. And using them in experiments just to make a women beautiful, or a men stylish, is just inhuman. Stop this all non sense please. :’(

• Maya says:

awful!!!! cant believe this.

• Varsha Shandilya says:

dats tooo horrible..we MUST FIGHT AGAINST DIS!!

• Emily Klonaris says:

It really saddens me to see such cruelty inflicted on innocent animals. Please reconsider and put an end to this cruelty lets remember these poor creatures feel pain like we do they feel sadness , happiness and love Please reconsider

• Brian Davison says:

How can they let this cruelty go on hope my little bit help can go somewhere to stop this please

• Matt Williams says:

Please stop testing on animals! It is cruel and it takes them away from their natural habitat. I presume that these tests are mainly for human benefit, for example cancer cures etc, but using animals for these tests is wrong! Please do not use animals for these tests. It is pathetic that humans use animals in this way. Let them go free, please.

• elie khoury says:

Vivisection must be stopped right away instead there should alternative way to do the test.stop testing on poor animals.

• Tricia says:

How anybody can treat animals this way is beyond my comprehension. Vivisectors are a sick, sadistic bunch. It would be bad enough if vivisection produced anything, but most of it is a repetitive, nightmarish waste.

• Isa says:

Humans are so selfish. :( Only thinks about what can ” benefit” them. Thanks for your beautiful work PETA.

• charu says:

It makes us cry,it really does. I cannot even imagine these type of things are done on living animals and we are not considering for their lives. It is making me feel that something is really wrong with the human race.

• Lourdes says:

… And the world was shocked with the news about what NAZI doctors did with the jewish people in the concentration camps. These acts are the same… so much cruelty… Hope that the people who do that on animals get the same KARMA on the final judgement by GOD! Animals have the same right to live and enjoy their lives in the EARTH as the human beings. We are not superior to them in that right.

• PRITHA GHOSH says:

I can’t even express how I actually felt when I go through this article. How can one do like this with an animal as they can’t even express their feelings to us!!!!! Yes I do agree that testings are required but when it turns a torture to them, I want to say ” Just STOP it” immediately. I hate to buy products from such co’s who test their products on animals.

• Dawna amadasu says:

What are we doing in the name of experiment’s?
    I read the bible and I don’t remember seeing
    Anything that says animals were put here for us
    To torment & mutilate.
    I read the
    Anything that says animals were put here for us
    To torment & mutilate. pain they suffer.
    This must stop.
    What I don’t get is how we humans claim to be so advanced
    In this day & age. Built & manufactured all the material items
    Yet succumb to mutilating & torturing those who can’t fend
    For themselves, not to mention increasing the distinction toll
    Rather than manufacturing experiment alternative’s.

• IanG says:

Yet again I’m astonished that people who act out these experiments clearly have a lack of basic human emotions. It’s horrible that these things still happen.

• Jannette Hofmann says:

Please stop this stupid Experiments !!!!!! please stop it!

• Rosheni says:

take action to help experimentation on animals

• Linda says:

Oh my gad..:(
    “In schools and university”??? What the hell..
    This needs too stop!!!!
    Poor animals..

• Nan says:

This should stop. Look at the animals’ eyes, so much fear and sorrow.

• Jasmin Torres says:

This is horrible. Please stop animal testing. Enough already. If you want to do testing, do it on yourself, or a human that is willing.

• Kris says:

This is so disgusting and unnecessary it makes me ill. How can the people doing this live with themselves?

• Tess Middleton says:

I have started Make Up Free May – go without makeup for a month to raise funds and awareness of this horrific practice.

• Dolores says:

Since it looks like most of these experiments are from Universities and Laboratories, can’t this be stopped by some type of investigations to these places and also punishment to these people and places who are performing these cruel acts on animals?? Or has something already beenn done to these certain places performing these on animals.

• Barbara says:

Please let’s end this cruelty once and for all! We are supposed to be compassionate animals and yet we are the most dangerous. Why are God’s creatures tortured like this? They do not need to use animals in scientific experiments anymore. Only the sadists do. I wish upon these monsters that called themselves scientists , to have pain inflicted on themselves. all the torment they have given should come back to them. karma all the way!

• Elaine Lazar says:

Stop this torture right here and now! Don’t you have a consciounse? I probably spelled that wrong because I’m so enraged! Remember karma…what comes around goes around!

• Karelia Lujan Repetto says:

DISGUSTING

• Joya says:

This is horrifying. How can anyone do this to poor, innocent, terrified, mistreated animals? There are more efficient, safer, and overall much better ways to do the exact same thing. Would you tolerate, say, a cat drilling holes into your skull with no anesthetic? Would you like a rabbit to drop hazardous chemicals into your eyes and skin? If the answer is no, DO NOT HARM AND EXPERIMENT ON ANIMALS.

• Nancy Lindsey says:

STOP torturing defenseless animals in the name of science.

• Toril Øvregaard Kvæv says:

Something must be very wrong in your heads when you can do this to poor animals! Do you like to be cruel? You should never be given the chance to take care of my children or my animals. The nazist- doctors thought it was OK to experiment in cruel ways with human beings! I cannot see the difference between you and them when it comes to being the opposite of compassionate.

• Animallover101 says:

This is terribly wrong what these careless people do. It terrifies me to se such harm done to animals! It kills me to see animals treated this way! It needs to stop because I am over here bawling my eyes out over something that doesn’t have to be going on. I love animals and I only want what’s best for them. The word needs to get out about this more. I am only saying what I believe is true. I always get cruelty free products whenever I get makeup, which you’ll probably thank me and be proud of me for. Beauty Without Bunnies all the way! Please put an end to this inhumane treatment of animals. Poor, innocent, loving animals. I want this to end and it needs to end. Thanks for letting me voice my opinion on this topic!

• Animallover101 says:

• Animallover101 says:

• roei cohen says:

this is unacceptable i pledge from this day on unless i know a product is cruelty free i will not buy it!!!!!!!!!

• Deb Kubla says:

There are certainly others ways to test products without using animals. Why are these experiments being repeated, weren’t the results the first hundred times good enough.

• Monica Ohlsson says:

Shocking pictures. This has to stop!

• Brenda L. Ingraham says:

Please stop this senseless cruelty, imagine if this was happening to you or a family member. There is no need for this, these animals are suffering horribly. I ask you to please have some compassion and stop hurting animals.

Sincerely, Brenda L. Ingraham

• Peg says:

Stop This!!

• beth says:

Stop using animals in experiments, think of the pain they suffer. You would not like it done to you!!!

• Cynthia Panacci says:

STOP THIS! FREE THEM!!

• Miguel f says:

Inflict pain is already bad but on the ones that cannot defend them selfes is everything you already know… why keep on !?
    Why put terror in animals life??? for a greater good??? That´s just to much ambition and litle heart!