VICTORY: Utah Hospital Halts Cruel Cat Lab!

Written by PETA | February 9, 2011
muffet/cc by 2.0

We are very happy to report that as a result of pressure from PETA and more than 25,000 of our supporters, Utah’s Primary Children’s Medical Center (PCMC) has announced that it is canceling plans to torment cats in a cruel and archaic training exercise!

As it had in previous years, PCMC planned to offer this animal lab as part of an annual conference that is co-sponsored by the University of Utah. The cats—who would have been purchased from a local animal shelter—were slated to have hard plastic tubes forced down their windpipes and likely would have suffered bleeding, swelling, scarring, and even collapsed lungs. But thanks to the efforts of PETA supporters who took part in a short but vigorous campaign, the cats will now be spared this trauma, and the conference will only use modern simulators for the training.

Since last week, tens of thousands of compassionate people responded to PETA’s e-mail action alert targeting PCMC, and hundreds posted comments on PCMC’s wall on Facebook (prompting the hospital to shut down the page entirely).  The owner of Salt Lake City’s all-vegan Cakewalk Baking Company even made and hand-delivered a cake to PCMC’s CEO in protest of the inhumane exercise.

This morning, we asked supporters to call PCMC and urge officials to do the right thing by calling off this exercise. Hundreds did just that, and some of you may have heard the news directly that PCMC was scrapping plans for this cruel laboratory.

While we are thrilled to celebrate this important victory for animals, we ask that you please take a moment to speak out against the cruel actions of North Utah Valley Animal Shelter (NUVAS)—the last shelter in Utah that continues to sell animals for experiments and the facility that would have provided cats to PCMC. PETA’s successes depend on your willingness to take action. Let’s keep the momentum going!

Written by Jeremy Beckham

Comments

• Jewel girl says:

PETA is awesome! This is great news! We must always speak up for animals, our angels with fur!

• Nancy D. says:

Excellent news! Peta gets things done and now these cats will be spared this suffering. Amazing how the company ”magically” found a HUMANE alternative isn’t it?

• Angelica Monteiro says:

A dor e o sofrimento ultrapassam barreiras raciais . Não importa se é um ser racional ou não,todos sentem da mesma maneira/intensidade. Respeito é a única saída para que os animais sejam protegidos de atitudes cruéis.

• loneguitar says:

Outstanding work on all involved. It sickened me to see what they were doing to those poor animals. No one has the right to hurt anyone else or to God’s creatures. Bless you PETA for your diligence in their rights.

• Francoise S says:

Thank you Peta and all the supporters! It was so a cruelty, so a torture for these sensitive little animals, and quite unnecessary, as if it had been just for fun, for human sadism!

• Crystal says:

I emailed them and posted on their facebook. Thank you PETA, Cakewalk baking company and all supporters who made this happen!! Thank you PCMC for doing the right thing! :)

• 4mula1 says:

how 2 WIN when righting letters to labs, shelters, charities, friends, ect.. visit MRMCMED.ORG also, over 95% of u.s. medical schools no longer offer animal lab (pcrm.org).

• martie says:

This is fantastic news!!!!

• Sherri Vartanian says:

The “people” who think up and carry out this cruelty should be the ones tested on. These animals did nothing to harm anyone. Animals are innocent, people are not. The human race can be embarrassing, and to do this to animals is unconscionable! GO Peta!

• Dr.John Alley says:

Bravo.All of God’s creatures need our support.PETA, keep up the good work.

• Melmac says:

I have a feeling that it is again because of budget cuts and the like, but still, it’s good to know that there is at least a reduction if not entire stoppage of the testing at the lab.

• Sue Pateracki says:

It is absolutely sickening when Animal Shelters sell pets to Laboratories to use for testing. These pets have been abandoned by their family and Animal Shelters that allow this to happen are horribly cruel and cold and obviously looking for a way to make money using these poor innocent abandoned pets. Any Shelter that does this should be penalized and shut down for such horrible unacceptable acts.

• Supporter says:

Great job PETA!!! I love great news like this. Keep up the good work PETA and Supporters!

• Marita says:

Wery Good job Peta! Plase help our wolves in Sweden from cruel hunting!

• Joelle Fraser says:

Phone calls and emails work! Excellent job. Teaching through cruelty is disturbing–there are other methods!

• Joelle Porter says:

Our phone calls and emails work! Public outcry is a wonderful tool–Excellent job everyone!!!

• Kate Cassidy says:

Thias is such good news….shouls never have happened in the first place…..Thanks PETA !!!

• Ted says:

Thank you everyone. I called and got the word out on Facebook. I am so incredibly relieved. PETA is awesome. Thank you Jeremy for all of your efforts!

• Josh says:

I’m so glad! I opened my e-mail and saw this article and it put a smile on my face. Great job PETA (and supporters)!!!

• Kim Young says:

That’s one for the good guys! I hope the cats that were going to be used for this awful demonstration will now find loving, forever homes.

• Glen says:

That’s welcome news!

• rachel marie says:

Great news! I had nightmares about this all week! Thank G-d these people came to their senses!!

• Debbie says:

PETA and its amazing, compassionate supporters – thank you for this wonderful victory for these poor, innocent animals!! I will never understand how any human being can be so cruel and inhumane to any animal!! It breaks my heart! NUVAS – how can you continue to keep your doors open and be able to sleep at night??? Shelters are meant to protect, care for, and find loving, nurturing homes for these innocent animals – not to sell them to be tormented and used in experiments! Shame on all who are involved in the cruel and inhumane acts forced upon innocent, living, breathing animals!!!

• Joan says:

I called yesterday I saw the toll free number and I told it wasn’t nice. I told them its Valentines Day its for love. I told them there are prisioners they can use as guinea pigs.

• Brian Schiavo says:

You guys rock. Thank you for the opportunity to help end these terrible practices!

• Patricia Stanley says:

this is wonderful news. thank GOD they listened to the public. thank you from the bottom of my heart.now if we could get every lab and hospital to stop doing this and selling animals to labs this would be a wonderful accomplishment. and save many animals lives.

• tiff11278 says:

This made me cry!! I live 20 min from PCMC & attended the University of Utah! I did what you asked but honestly thought it would be a cold day in hell before the hospital halted this lab. As the day grew closer I honestly felt nauseous- & on Valentine’s Day! My daughter did her school essay on NUVAS & the cruelty there- I pray they follow suit! This may be a small step in the medical community, but it is a step nonetheless! Thank you PETA!!!!

• Marla Hargrove says:

That is wonderful news!!! There are so many sad stories out there re. cruelty to animals.. not to mention what else is going on in the world that it does my heart good to hear some good news for a change.

• Wendy Cayias says:

Great job!! Good for you – PCMC! Welcome to the new cruel free world! Yeah…!:)

• Jaimi says:

Thanks Jeremy for the great article. I sent emails and made phone calls, too. This is a small but important victory!

• anju mehta says:

Stop this cruelty. We can find better ways to do this.

• melbob says:

Please stop selling animals to labs to have invasive, painful and unnecessary experiments performed. Animals feel pain and there is no reason why they should suffer needlessly when other HUMANE options do exist. Please advance with society to a place where advancements in technology prove animal testing is outdated, unnecessary, inhumane and painful. May God have mercy on you as you continue to advance the suffering of His creatures.

• CHANDER KUMAR SONI says:

STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

• Claudine Erlandson says:

Congratulations! Terrific news for the Kitties! Thank you and indeed let’s keep on fighting other horrible labs!

• Subhor Dubey says:

gud job … well done supporters! hope the NUVAS stops selling animals for experimentation too..

• Peggy Ellison says:

Stop pretending that you are a shelter—you are in the business of animal trafficking, and killing. Close your doors now.

• Sue says:

Please replace the use of animals at this conference with one of the many effective, non-animal training methods that are available.

• Robin Bush says:

ROCK ON PETA AND TO ALL OF US WHO SUPPORTED THIS LAB TESTING. THERE IS A GOD…………… ROCK ON I AM SO HAPPY THIS HAS ENDED….

• chiara albero says:

STOP CRUELTY ON ANIMALS!

• mister jingles says:

thank you PETA and the 25’000 supporters! you are real angels for having prevented this other horrific animal abuse!!!

• W illetta says:

I am so glad I have no children for I would never want them to know that animals suffered the way you make them suffer , there are more humane ways to do things than to ABUSE ANIMALS THE WAY YOU ARE DOING! STOP THE INSANITY !!!

• tom moore says:

NUVAS please stop selling animals for experimental use.

• Eva @ Four Leaf Clover says:

That’s so fantastic! Thanks for the awesome news, PETA! Keep it coming. : )

• patricia palacios says:

felicitaciones por tan importante logro. me gusto mucho ayudar en su oportunidad y ahora estoy muy contenta de haberlo hecho. continuen con tan loable tarea. un saludo desde Argentina.

• busschots says:

quel bonheur de pouvoir lire d’aussi bonnes nouvelles,,,, mais surtout qu’une signature a son poid !!! donc surtout continuer encore et encore pour les autres,,,, c’est super encourageant ,,, merci !

• Samuela says:

An epic journey is made of many little steps.

• ANNA PARELLO says:

HOW CAN ANYONE CALL THEMSELVES AN “ANIMAL SHELTER” WHEN ANIMALS ARE SOLD TO BE TORTURED? HOW DARE ANYONE HAVE THE RIGHT TO PUT SUFFERING ON INNOCENT ANIMALS. WHAT MAKES US THINK WE ARE SO DAMN SUPERIOR? INFLICTING PAIN ON ANY LIVING THING IS BARBARIC AND IT NEEDS TO STOP NOW!!!

• ANNA PARELLO says:

• Judy Stepeck says:

Way to go PETA!!!

• Katie says:

I want a free vegan cake hand delivered to me lol