It’s a Vegan ‘Oprah Winfrey Show’!

Written by PETA | January 31, 2011

Set your TiVo now because you won’t want to miss the stunning and articulate Kathy Freston talking to Oprah Winfrey and her legions of fans about living a cruelty-free, healthy vegan lifestyle. Kathy will appear on Oprah tomorrow as part of an hour-long show on being vegan. The last time that Kathy appeared on Oprah, she convinced the talk-show host to try the 21-day vegan cleanse that’s included in Kathy’s groundbreaking book Quantum Wellness: A Practical and Spiritual Guide to Health and Happiness, so there’s no telling what kind of meatless magic Freston will work this time. Maybe Oprah will let her audience members be the first to grab a copy of Kathy’s new book, Veganist, which comes out the same day.

The full title of the book describes Kathy’s life philosophy: Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the WorldThe best-selling author provides the keys to effortless weight loss, saving money, feeding the hungry, reducing climate change, and ending animal suffering. U2 frontman and humanitarian Bono says of Veganist, “Kathy Freston writes so beautifully and convincingly that even this most carnivorous of rock stars finds himself staring at his bleeding protein with new eyes.”

Written by Michelle Sherrow

Comments

• Natalie says:

This Oprah show was a huge disappointment, it made me angry! How would any vegan endorse any type of slaughtering!? I couldn’t believe it when Kathy said it is okay to eat meat/animal products if they come a humane place. I could go on with the things about this show that were a disgrace to what vegetarianism stands for.

• Zenna says:

I started watching the episode with great expectations but was soon sorely disappointed. Now people are going to think that’s what goes on anywhere animals are killed for food. What a joke. I guess people can now eat meat without their consciences bugging them. *sighs* Also, that author was pissing me off the way he kept interjecting to say that it’s ok to eat meat.

• John says:

I tuned in to this episode was VERY disappointed.  Was she trying to be fair and balanced?  Was she afarid of being sued again by the beef industry?  I was offended that she kept emphasizing that after Ling’s tour of the slughterhouse she still eats meat.  Her other guest said that animals only have one really bad day.  Really?  Oprah missed her chance to make the world a better place.

• goodharba says:

I have to agree with Meghandove and Nancy. Cargill put on a great show trying to convince people what a caring slaughterhouse they are. When their spokesperson stated they wanted to honor the animals by giving them a quick death and using as much of the animal as possible I wanted to throwup. If it wasn’t for groups like Peta, they would still be running those poor terrified animals into the slaughterhouse where the stunning success rate was questionable. Many people don’t realize these animals are not dead when they cut their throats. I’m not an Oprah fan but I saw the promo for this show and was not at all surprised how Oprahized it was. Well if one person changes, her sanitized show will have been worth it.

• Amy says:

I agree with others.  When i heard about the topic of her show today, i thought “YES thank you Oprah” because she has such HUGE influence over viewers opinions and this could help animals everywhere. UNTIL …..she had the slaughterhouse woman go on and on lying about how the “bolt renders the animal unconscious and they feel no pain”….that was about the part of the show when i found myself yelling at my tv ..SO upsetting that her and the guy on the show lied several times making it appear that more farms than not treat animals with dignity and slaughter them humanely when that JUST ISN’T TRUE!!! So disappointing that those lies were permitted on the show..

• zambi44 says:

Oprah has the power to reach millions of people with a powerful message that could end the atrocities that occur in factory farms every minute of every day.   The rep from Carhill was very polished and I think that what the general public will take from this show is that factory farming is humane, clean and orderly.  I only wish that people will take it upon themselves to look at youtube videos that show typical factory farms and how animals are abused and tortured.

• skippya says:

i saw it love it :)

• NANCY says:

Everything great until Oprah declared ” The animals DON”T suffer”. Doesn’t she understand that of course the slaughterhouse will be on its best behaviour when it is featured on the Oprah show? What about the other slaughterhouses that refused to allow cameras in? Does that raise a red flag for you Oprah?

• MeghanDove says:

THAT WAS A JOKE! Oprah said the factory farmed animals do not suffer. Where does she get that from? B/c of what Carhill showed us? That is not a NORMAL factory farm and that was a well announced visit by the Oprah show. One they no doubt prepared for. The American public after watching this episode still has NO IDEA what kind of atrocities face those animals. You could NEVER show it on TV. Where was Jonathon Foer? They also barely touched on the environmental impact. Most people seemed most interested in losing weight. Oprah had a chance to do something big. That was such a disappointment and such a watered down version of the true issues at hand.

• Dark Cinderalla says:

Awesome! Anything on Oprah, or that Oprah says, goes with so many people. She has so much influence. I do hope that some day she becomes vegan like Bill Clinton. She’s so influential that she could make a major difference. Oprah for President? Well, maybe! Wouldn’t a vegan President change the world? I’d really vote for her if she was, just like I voted for Representative Kuchinich (sp?), who is a vegan. I believe that vegans are more responsive to humanitarian AND animals issues in the world, and I’m looking for an activist President. All aboard?