Army to Investigate Sheep-beating Video

Written by PETA | January 26, 2012

Update: Thanks to an anonymous supporter, PETA is now offering $5,000 for information leading to the identification of the men responsible for this beating. The U.S. Army has now determined that the uniforms worn in the video belong to the U.S. Air Force, and the Air Force has launched its own investigation.

The following was originally posted on January 18, 2012:

Update: After much public outcry, Army investigators are looking into the video that depict soldiers beating a sheep with a baseball bat. “We are aware of a Live Leak video depicting the killing of a sheep,” an Army spokesman said. “The actions of those involved are not condoned or supported in any way. We are currently assessing the situation to determine more information.”

The following was originally posted January 13, 2012:

Last year, a scandalous video emerged of a U.S. marine throwing a puppy off a cliff. Now there is this video of a soldier repeatedly beating a sheep with a baseball bat to the whoops and laughter of other soldiers who are looking on. I would say “beating to death” because that is probably what happened, but we do not know the upshot. We only know, from watching the video and seeing the mood of the soldiers — and what appears to be a local lad who arrived with the animal — that the sheep could only have come to a very nasty end. He or she tries to rise several times but the soldier continues to thwack away amid the laughter.

PETA did what it always does when someone blows the whistle on these incidents of gratuitous cruelty: We wrote to Secretary of the Army John McHugh and then, when no answer was forthcoming, to other high-ranking officers, including Chief of Public Affairs General Stephen Lanza and Commanding General of the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command David E. Quantock. No one — not PETA and not the thousands of people who have seen this video and are rightly disturbed by it — has received any acknowledgment, not even a single comforting word, that an investigation has been started.

Click here to read the full article at Huffington Post

Written by Ingrid E. Newkirk

Comments

• Christina W says:

Those on here who are attempting to defend what this soldier did by saying we don’t know what they go through etc. is ridiculous. I have a family member who deployed twice to Irag (front lines) and now to Afghanistan..other family members who have served and were discharged at the end of their service or stayed on and eventually retired from the service. THOUSANDS of people in the military and not go through HORRIBLE things in their lives and do NOT beat animals to death or harm animals or other people. Personal tragedy is NOT an excuse or a license to be violent, criminal and hate filled toward any living creature. I would think too, someone who HAD suffered abuse would have more compassion for other living creatures – human and non-human than to do something like this. THERE IS NO EXCUSE for what this solider did. NONE. And if there were TRUE justice in this world, he would suffer the SAME THING that he did to the sheep, since there isn’t, I can only hope the ARMY will do what is morally and ethically right and punish him to the fullest extent allowed by military law.

• chris swartwout says:

I am ashamed that soldiers of my country did this, and thought it was hilarious fun in the action. Shame on our military leaders for trying to push this under the rug.

• donna m curcio says:

USACIDC must investigate and let the US citizens know the truth. Actually, what could there be to investigate; what could a goat have done to a callous hardened egotistical hateful maniac? What else is this man(men)capable? DISGRACEFUL!!!

• Rose says:

I couldn’t bring myself to watch the video, yet I cry for the loss of that innocent sheep. Maybe these soldiers saw horrible things, but its no excuse for animal cruelty. I hope there is a full investigation and those responsible are punished.

• Tisha says:

The behavior of these “pigs” (the soldiers) is DISGUSTING! It is people like this that make the world a bad place. I really hope that the sheep in the video gets some justice. These people need to be prosecuted. Why would they even think to do such a thing? Damn, it would be nice if what comes around goes around and the same thing happened to these soldiers. These guys aren’t heroes…they are idiots preying on poor animals that cannot defend themselves. If we don’t make these men accountable for their actions then the public is just as bad as the offenders. Don’t worry…no matter what happens…there is a place for them…and they will soon know that this place is eternal. Animal cruelty is a shame to mankind.

• Dani says:

Literally cried after the first second of this video what these men did is deplorable

• Melinda says:

For God’s sake – this is so disturbing and disgusting. I made myself watch this short video and have a true disgust and hatred for the young men who participated in the filming and the beating. They must all be terribly mentally disturbed. And the fact that they represent this country is very, very wrong. Shame on them – what goes around, comes around young men. You will be punished for torturing, beating and harming this innocent animal. God’s animal. Something is truly wrong with all of you. God forgive you. I will not.

• DLS says:

Wow! It is ridiculous how Frank could side with a soldier who knows right from wrong and still chooses to beat a defenseless animal. Next, that soldier will be beating another human being, possibly a child. There is NO EXCUSE!!!! Soldiers, Airmen, Marines, Seamen…anyone with PTSD have plenty of resources to get help these days. Let’s put these soldiers in the right place for doing the unthinkable.

• Toni says:

What happened to that sheep, horrible. Disgusting. On that I will agree. Frank, sorry but I disagree with you when you say that they have been through things and we shouldn’t judge. My husband was there, a few times. He would NEVER do what happened here. Don’t use war as an excuse to be inhumane. No animal deserves that treatment. NONE. I hope that who ever did it, gets what is coming to them. I do have two things I want to say though … Lisa I am sorry that you were harassed. But to clear something up, Marines are Marines, soldiers are Army. They are two seperate branches of service, much like your British Army and British Royal Marines. :) And Kim, you’re right, generlizing is wrong. Not everyone in the military does what these guys are being accused of. That’s like saying all parents are bad because some abuse their kids. All police are bad because some abuse their authority. I could go on and on, but I won’t. I am very proud of our American Armed Forces and they should not be judged by the act of the ignorant ones. My heart hurts for that sheep, Karma will find them abusers and they will get what comes to them.

• reena says:

It saddens me to know that some of the men protecting this fine country have this type of a violent streak and such disregard for the pain and suffering of an animal. Animal torture is an innapropriate venue for letting off steam. There are many better ways to deal with the horrors of war. I cant imagine that anyone would feel safer being protected by such a group of individuals. I sincerely hope that each member of this group has now thought about their actions and understand the pain they’ve caused to many, and I truly hope they can become advocates for animals by speaking about why they did it, and how to better deal with the pain of war, then by beating a defenceless animal.

• Frank Ise says:

I’m an Army veteran and up to now proud of it. I am employed by the Depatment of Defense enlisting young people into the military. This episode, however makes me ashamed to have ever been associated with the U.S. military. I’m sure this will be swept under the rug and people will forget all about it in a short time. However it remains a total disgrace to our country and the Army. Frank Ise, M.D.

• Smiley says:

Frank, you make no sense, granted that soldiers do go through things we wouldn’t understand but how does that justify the despicable behavior seen in this video??and on top of that everyone is laughing and having a good time…they go to war to do specific orders, and I don’t think bashing a sheeps head in was one of them,,,this is wat makes me mad,,, the fact that you will not see a soldier bashing their enemies head in, but will have no remorse if it were an animal, n I think it’s because animals do not have a voice and therefore people do not care… There is never an excuse for an innocent animal getting abused.. This world is so corrupt that there’s no saving it. But just trying to make it better.

• Jerimin says:

Frank you just don’t get it, war effect these soldiers in many way, there is no doubt about that, people living in this country are effected by many things that they see on a daily basis. I grew up in the ghetto, where i saw violence all the time, people getting shot, stabbed, most of my friends did not even make it to their 18th birthday, but that never gave me the right to hurt some innocent person, or animal that had nothing to do with my problems. So, you can not make excuses for these soldiers, if anything they should be the first to know better. I know it could affect a person’s mentally, but it is wrong.

• Christine says:

i agree with Rita. i mean i fully support our troops, but thats one persons doing and its wrong. unless he was forced(?) do to something like that there is just no excuse.

• Rita says:

No, you’re wrong Frank. War might be hell, but it doesn’t give people an excuse to be sadistic monsters towards innocent creatures. You might think it does, but I’m sorry, it doesn’t. What if one of those soldiers came home and snapped and beat a child to death? Would you say not to judge them then? That sheep did nothing wrong, and its life might not be important to you, but I’m sure it was important to the sheep. So yes, I’m going to judge those soldiers

• Liz Glazier says:

This is hardly surprising considering what these soldiers have done to fellow humans.

• Kim says:

I partly have to agree with Frank here. Most of us will never understand what a soldier goes through at war. They see horrible things, things we could never begin to imagine. However this does not give them the right to disgustingly hurt an animal who evidently had nothing to do with the hardships they have gone through. I cannot feel proud of the people serving the United States when they are capable of such violent acts of pure hatred. I know not to generalise, but it only takes one person to make you doubt all the rest. Soldier or not, this is unacceptable and it should be punishable in the same way. Animal crulty is animal crulty whatever the situation may be.

• Shelly says:

I couldn’t even watch 2 seconds of it after the first hit. I am utterly ashamed of the men in this video. How would they like having that done to their sorry butts? I hope the Army will investigate and punish everyone in the video.

• Jessica says:

Completely agree with KarmasAB*, I certainly hope it happens sooner rather than later. That is pitiful and something needs be done! Just because it is an animal does NOT mean they do not feel pain just like we do!

• lisa says:

I watched this video last year around October time on youtube, i made a comment of disgust and had reply’s mainly from americans calling me dumb, another was it was a way to let off steam because they are under fire everyday, im stupid because im British and the American army are far superior to the British Army, the list go’s on to the number of abusive emails i got, one i got back said it was not marines that did this or were in the video and would not behave like this he said it was soldiers, whats the difference?? they are all part of the army arn’t they?? Of Course the army received the complaints and it was not just PETA supporters that commented it was people all over the world that did.

• P says:

This is disturbing and shameful, not only what they are doing to the animal but also that they are doing this in front of a child. I shudder to think what prompted all this to even happen.

• Frank says:

War is hell that people who haven’t experienced cannot begin to comprehend. It does things to the human phsyce that regular people cannot imagine. Quit judging people who have been through things you cannot begin to imagine in order that you can live in peace. While sheep’s rights may be important there are much more important things you should be worrying about

• Finnley Taylor says:

This is exactly why we have so many issues with the current Military. The standards were lowered and these are today’s soldiers. These soldiers are an embarrassment and have no integrity, morals or values. Dignity is a foreign work to them. I really do miss the “old Army” times, when you were actually punished for doing wrong. I am sick to my stomach watching this and we are a military family!

• Tacoma says:

I understand not all soldiers do this. But as for the ones in the video these are the ones we thank and say we are proud of. I hate being a human and I have being from somewhere thats laughs when this happens

• Celeste Nieves says:

This is disgusting – those men are alittle more than animals themselves – if this is what they call “funny”, I wonder what else they’re doing to innocent, unable to defend themselves animals/people?

• Emerson says:

If they don´t respect human beings how can they respect animal rights? This video is very disgusting.

• Celeste says:

Que vergonhoso!!! Quanta covardia!!! E ainda dizem que os EUA formam um país de primeiro mundo. Que atraso!!! E o que fazem as autoridades incompetentes e responsáveis por esses sádicos que praticaram essa barbárie contra a ovelha???

• DWD says:

So these are the men we call our heros? This is disgusting and there is no excuse for such behavior. My heart breaks for this poor animal and all the ones suffering at these men’s hands that we know nothing about

• carmen says:

i cant believe there so called “people” do this things to helpless animals :(

• KarmasAB* says:

It certainly appears to be US Soldiers..I overall support our troops, but this is shameful and disgusting. The fact that all of them found it amusing, rather than manning up and telling him to stop it makes it even more shameful.

• Jennifer says:

I watched this earlier today and have had a sick feeling ever since. I think to say that someone dressed in camo and shot this is naive. Let me remind you that a marine was disciplined for throwing a puppy from a cliff while on duty. Another video surfaced of marines eating and tormenting starving children. Let’s quit making excuses and admit this is WRONG, and demand something be done to stop this….

• Marin says:

I like how some people are saying, “Oh no it can’t POSSIBLY be the Marines! I’m sure some people must have bought camo clothing and got a little boy to bring a sheep into the room! Clearly that’s what happened”. I’m more inclined to believe Marines did this than a random group of people.

• Kevin says:

What can we do to help? Who can we write to so this video gets the attention it deserves?

• ZACH says:

steve u have no idea if these are actual US soldiers or not. Anyone can buy digital camo. How dare you stereotype most marines like this. Sure if they are marines there may be a small percentage but quite frankly your pathetic.

• Jj says:

Why doesn’t this get sent to news channels and shown?!

• Cheryl says:

I couldn’t watch the video, reading about this abuse was terrible enough. Why doesn’t Peta put a form letter together like they do sometimes so that we can forward our discust to the top ranking officer who could take action against these so called “soldiers”. To me, they are weak, brainless and heartless to have either participated or stood by and watched and laughed at such torture. My father always taught me you get as good as you give, so I hope there will be “justice” so they will receive the hurt they put on this poor sheep (one of God’s creatures that man was supposed to be a “Good Shepherd over”…..One day they will ALL be judged by our Creator and I’m sure they won’t be laughing THEN).

• MsValentine says:

…..I am heartbroken right now. I am not an activist or vegetarian and really don’t know alot about the movement but this is ABSOLUTELY OUT OF LINE!!! I can’t believe this happened. WHY??? I have never seen anything like this, I cried two seconds into it. I know that all of those people will definitely be judged for this one day. What a f’n shame.

• Christine says:

Corona, thats really good to hear, there should be more people that believe like that.

• Erika says:

Is there a petition yet, demanding investigation of this?

• Dave says:

Very disturbing video. Cruel and unnecessary behaviour such as this indicates a lack of discipline and leadership. Such activity should be properly investigated at the highest levels.

• Marin says:

And people wonder why I don’t support the army.

• raquelwdc says:

I don’t know why I even clicked the video-this stuff makes me cry. This is so upsetting.

• Melissa says:

I am in tears as Im watching this horrible human act towards a poor animal. Not only the SCUM who beat the sheep should be punished. but all the pathetic excuse of a human who are cheering as you can clearly hear the sheep crying for help. I am so angry , I just dont understand all these heartless, sick people.. I dont understand why, why do they think hurting animals are ok.

• Ana A.Garcia says:

this is disgusting! I didn’t watch it becuse I wil have nightmares all night. this video needs to go viral.

• melissam says:

This is disgusting. I am disapointed that not even one of the onlookers decided to speak out against this cruelty and take a moral stand.

• Corona says:

Wow, I’m not a vegiterian or a animal rights activis,and i’ll flat out say it; I’m a hunter and a fisherman. But when i take the life of one of God’s creations,I do it humanly(quick and painless), leaving the animal diginity,and it does not die without my gratitude. Many may find this unusual, but I’m also working towards my Veterinarian degree. I’m not sure why ANYONE would do this, but i can’t bring myself to believe that US marines would be doing this. My guess; A bunch of sick anti-army nut jobs dressing up in digital camo in the middle of mexico trying to smear the name of US soldiers. I will never condone animal cruelty, PETA has my full support towards it’s notions…

• Isabel says:

My heart bleeds for the poor creature tortured to death. God will punish these monsters.

• Jeremy says:

This makes me so angry!!! These people should be focused on protecting our country not beating on a poor helpless animals.

• steve says:

sick and twisted individuals, they should be sacked and never get a job again. this is typical of american marines, hence why most people hate the army. this is not acceptable

• Christine says:

i just cant even begin to understand how people could do this.