Man Leaves Kids in Car, Parties With Strippers…

Written by PETA | August 28, 2009
ocpets.freedomblogging / CC
hot day

… and, elsewhere, another dog cooks to death in a hot car.

Common sense steers most adults clear of certain threats, like smoking in bed, eating rancid leftovers, and leaving the kiddies in the car while you chug beers and ogle strippers. A man in Florida apparently didn’t get the memo on that last one.

Yes, we’re disgusted. But are we surprised? Not really, because PETA and KIDS AND CARS, an organization we teamed up with last year, both receive countless complaints regarding dogs and children who are left unattended in hot cars.

According to KIDS AND CARS, hyperthermia—a rapid and often fatal rise in body temperature—is the third-leading cause of death in children in vehicular incidents that are unrelated to traffic.

And PETA receives alarming reports of dogs who succumb to heatstroke within minutes when people fail to realize how little time it takes for a car interior to heat up. On a 78-degree day, the temperature inside a car can climb to 97 degrees in just 10 minutes. Dogs can only cool themselves by panting, so they can quickly succumb to heatstroke and suffer brain damage or death.

Rolling down the car windows slightly does not offer adequate relief.

Please remind everyone you know that it’s always best to leave the children and the dogs at home with the A/C (and a sitter) on “errand days” as well as “stripper nights.”

Written by Karin Bennett

Comments

• paul says:

man please you seem more concerned about the dogs more than the children and hypothermia is when your core body temperature drops ok

• Moriah says:

Hey Ron Rafaelli I hope you were joking. It sounds like you mean kids don’t matter bc they’re just future animal abusers. Kids are taught compassion. Anyway the loser who leaves zer companion animals or kids in the car should try it out to see how much “fun” it is to sit in the car bored and quickly overheated. I mean hasn’t there been all kinds of commercials and TV shows talking about the dangers of leaving dependents in the car?!

• Amanda says:

It is not concerning we are talking about pets and not children. Because most of us think of our animals as our children. So please don’t be concerned. It is so disgusting this father left his children in the car he will have to live with that immoral decision for the rest of his life! Strippers!?! What a complete loser!

• Ron Rafaelli says:

Edward this is the PETA site. Of course the comments are more concerned about animals than kids. Kids are just potential future animal abusers.

• Edward says:

When people roll down their windows slightly they are thinking more about a lack oxygen not heat. Cars can even get to temperatures over 130 degrees. And isn’t there anyone here concerned about the kid? Anyone? Most of these comments are about pets which is concerning.

• brittany says:

What the hell was he thinking

• matt says:

sorry to have to say this….but mots people like dogs a nd cats should be FIXED.

• June Marie says:

I confront ANYONE with animals in a car no matter if I just got there and have no clue how long that animal was there or not. Many wave me off saying “the windows are open” to which I tell them to sit “their” asses in car for 5 mins “5 mins. I repeat that’s all! within no time they are trying to intimidate me saying the animal is “theirs’” “mind my own business” and to which I make sure everyone listening and watching can hear “Animal “abuse” is EVERYONE’S business”. Also reporting their license plate to the store manager and informing him ? it’s illegal for them to do this gets them paged to front.

• Jessica says:

wow i know that they have been having a bunch of differnt adds and stuff so i was hoping that people were getting the message but its not surpising that they dont. i am in the middle of a move and have had to travel back and forth between houses and if we stay at one we have to bring them with us we always have them in the car with us and if we need food we get fast food! Brooke Zornes that is sooo sad what happened to your hampster! putting any animal specially a small one for a long trip is crazy! i would go crazy if someone tried that with my rats!

• Rachel P says:

What actions are we allowed to take if we see a pet suffering in a hot car?

• sanjuro says:

There’s been another story this week about a dog dying in a locked car and the owner was the CEO of a society for the prevention of cruelty to animals… talk about a paradox.

• Bluebell says:

I cannot believe people are still stupid enough to leave their animalschildren cooped up in cars purely because it’s more convenient for them. You only have to spend a short time with a dog or child in a car even with the windows down to realise how warm it can get and how quickly.

• Kristina says:

I had my mom a friend help me move once they put my cat in the car but my poor hamster in the bed of the truck of course they took country roads between the two towns to make sure the hamster kitty were safe not thinking it was over 100 degrees out that day!!! The bed of the truck acted like an oven my poor little Hamster had a heat stroke she was only a year old. I had to take her to the vet have her put to sleep. I cried for days it probably didn’t help that I was pregnant at the time but it still upset me that they were so careless with my pet. I specifically asked them to make sure both pets were in the car with the AC. It was very sad.

• Brooke Zornes says:

so sad that you have to have a license to drive a car but not one to have children!