Former UW Vet Says Lab Violated the Law

Written by Michelle Kretzer | October 12, 2012

The University of Wisconsin–Madison (UW) should be cited for violating the Animal Welfare Act. That’s the verdict of the veterinarian who oversaw the treatment of Double Trouble and other cats who were subjected to cruel brain experiments at UW. Attending veterinarian Dr. Richard “Jim” Brown agrees with PETA’s allegations that laboratory staff failed to give cats proper anesthesia during surgery, failed to effectively address cats’ chronic head wound infections, and allowed other serious health problems to go untreated—all of which, Brown wrote, “expos[ed] the animals to unnecessary pain.” He explains how the intentional starving of the cats by experimenters in order to force them to cooperate caused severe weight loss and may have compromised their immune systems so that they couldn’t stave off infection.

Vet to USDA: Reopen the Case

Now, Dr. Brown has written to the Inspector General of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) expressing his disappointment that the agency did not cite UW after PETA filed an extensive complaint based on internal UW documents. He is also urging the agency to reopen its investigation.

I saw this research firsthand. Many of these cats suffered unnecessarily, and I made my concerns known to the principal investigator, colleagues and the UW-School of Medicine and Public Health [animal experimentation oversight committee] at the time. … I’m confident a second, focused review of the surgical records by [the USDA] would show the same concerns the veterinary staff observed during my time at Wisconsin, and during my later review of these medical records.

‘I Quit!’

You may recall that Brown resigned in 2010 after his concerns about the welfare of the animals were not properly addressed by UW faculty and staff. But even though he is no longer employed by the university, he is still speaking up for animals used in UW’s laboratories and demanding justice for the cats who were victims of the school’s alleged negligence and abuse.

What You Can Do

While PETA and Dr. Brown work to hold UW accountable, you can help ensure that no more cats suffer like Double Trouble did by asking the National Institutes of Health to cut its funding for UW’s cruel brain experiments.

Comments

• pamela says:

A sick lot of humans.

• Anne Grice says:

Inflicting the most horrific cruelty on these cats for nonsensical senseless tests is sickening and violates every laws for animal protection and yet this University continued with its atrocities without a shred of decency or feelings for these cats. How could any Vet allow such barbaric cruelty to continue without forcibly removing the cats is unconscionable and unforgivable. These inhumane cruel people overstep their boundaries and yet were allowed to continue is a disgrace to every dept who are responsible for animal welfare in this country. there is no excuse just condemnation and ridicule for your senseless cruelty to these cats and for that your department should be shut down for good so that no one could every torture and kill innocent animals again at this unethical inhumane University.

• 4mula1 says:

please visit, facebook.com/garyfair96 animal research has never been validated (pcrm.org). and much MUCH more!…

• Ian McShane says:

You can judge a society by the way it treats its animals. – Gandhi Mankind’s true moral test, its fundamental test,which lies deeply buried from view, consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy: animals.~Milan Kundera ,The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1984) pt 7 ch.2 What does it say about American society and its so called scientist? You are abomination on the face of the earth. If you want to experiment, practice on your children and yourself. No one should go through this, but you should. You will be judged by the GOD. What you have done to those poor animals will come around and dejavu in internal hell for you.

• BareFacts says:

The UW research is not worth a c–p. Someone should seek the results of this research. If necessary, use the Freedom of Information Act. If the research is worthless, then sue everyone possible. Fire tenured professors for their involvement. University researchers propose projects for funding. The ultimate goal is to have projects and get money. I suspect this research is worthless and heavily fabricated in order to claim useful results. The procedures described are too crude to represent scientific research. I recently came upon stories, going back several decades, where humans were subjected to such horrors. The Canadian and US governments settled out of court. I pray much more these days. I pray that God and concerned souls will reverse this culture’s trend toward depravity, cruelty, seared conscience, greed, and narcissism. God help the animals. God help all of us. Animals experience no less pain than any of us. Just because they can’t communicate with words, is no reason to ignore cruelty. How many cats have they killed? May some of these phony researchers infect themselves with incurable disease. End.

• Talei Sinclair says:

sickening. absolutely sickening. we have to make this stop. we have to stop buying products that are tested on animals and influence others to follow suit.

• etienne says:

National Institute is nothing else but awful, wondering if they are evil sadists who still using animals in research. They do not follow the developments in the world to end with animals, it is a closed chapter long time ago !!!

• monica says:

Chega de torturas , kd a justiça ……….

• yara mª duarte says:

Não maltratem os animais do mundo, não firam corações que foram gerados para serem pontes de harmonia com toda a natureza.

• solange says:

Me da nojo em saber que um ser que se diz HUMANO e RACIONAL faz isso com um pobre anjo INDEFESO e INOFENSIVO !! CRUEL!!

• Maria says:

isso é insanidade !!!!!!!

• Neusa Romano says:

No Coments.

• aysablue says:

these people deserve the same treatment – and worse. who the hell are they to treat another creature of this earth like that??? this just sickens me. i hope the karma train crushes their skulls~~~

• bonnie carlson says:

What are they trying to learn from all these screws in the cat’s head and coils in their eyes and ears?

• Terrie C. says:

To all who participated in this scenario: find forever homes for these cats and pray for forgiveness for what you have done. FYI: As a Speech Pathologist, I do not recommend the hearing implant that is at the center of this controversy. Far more successful, are a wide variety of augmentative communication devices that are not tested on animals.

• karen h. says:

no one luvs animals more than I.i understand donations help.i understand signing petitions help.however,why not go to the SOURCE.OBAMA.We have no money,yet we give to people to watch and document how flowers grow,to build a fast subway,and numorous other stupid wasteless ideas.who has ever said..LET’S HELP OUR ANIMALS WHO CAN’T SPEAK OR HELP THEMSELVES.WE PUT THEM ASIDE BECAUSE THEY ARE SILENT?DO THEY NOT DESERVE TO LIVE A NORMAL LIFE? HOW WOULD ALL THOSE “IMPORTANT PEOPLE”ON THE HILL” WITH PETS FEEL IF THEIR ANIMALS WERE PERHAPS STOLEN AND USED FOR EXPERIMENTAL PURPOSES.I BET IT WOULD BE ON THE NEWS.THEY NEED TO BE CORNERED AND ASKED THESE QUESTIONS. I WISH WHEN OBAMA HAS ONE OF HIS “LET ME SHINE” MOMENTS ON T.V.,A NEWSPERSON WOULD BRING UP THE SUBJECT. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR HIS RESPONSE.NO TELEPROMPTER OR NOTES TO LOOK AT FOR THAT ONE.

• Crystal Elston says:

I couldn’t bring myself to look at the video, just the stories and pictures, which almost made me throw up. I have been crying hysterically ever since and cannot understand this world we live in and how people justify this. If I could sacrifice my own life to stop this from every happening again, I would – happily. If I saw my own cat on this table, I would probably be in jail for the rest of my life for avenging such horrific pain, torture, and incomprehensible barbarism. I cannot wrap my mind around this. I really hope and pray Karma exists in this world and these people eventually get everything the deserve. If their beings became conscious and aware of what they have done and feel what we feel and what those poor cats and countless other animals have felt.

• Kim Lausman Diedrich says:

The school is antiquated and out of touch with reality. The school should be brought up on charges of severe animal cruelty and other charges. The school should be Boy-cotted by High School Counselors and applicants until it totally stops this type of experimentation and severe cruelty. Bless the beasts and the children for they have no voice, they have no choice. Invade this campus with educational material to get the word out and get the ball rolling. This is totally disgusting.

• zoe clarke says:

i HATE all the people who did this they are not normal and are so ignorant and thick for doing this to these poor animals your a waste of oxygen and do us all a favour hold your breath and save the oxygen for people that deserve it please !!!! its an embarrassing to be a human at times with the way some people carry on !!!

• zoe says:

this is a disgrace these people are not human there a waste of oxygen and i hope what goes around comes back around is true and something awful happens to the people well scum that did this to animals in my opinion are better than all of them SHAME ON THEM !!!!!!!

• morticia says:

The number on the ear shows that this animal is just property. I have never gotten this! These animals are helpless sweet victims but we go out of our way to hurt them for money, fame and recognition.

• Emily S. says:

I have never been so sad and heartbroken. That video was one of the most gut-wrenching things I’ve ever seen. This must stop.

• verena wazlawik says:

ich fordere Sie auf solche grausamen versuche an katzen (tieren allgemein ) sofort einzustellen !! was für bestien in menschengestalt seid ihr eigentlich !???? eine schande im jahr 2012

• Merryla Fidler says:

This cruel practice of laboratory testing is most cruel+useless+must stop now. Thank you so much.