Why We Euthanize

Written by Ingrid Newkirk | March 21, 2013

In my first year working at a grossly substandard animal shelter in Maryland, I forced myself to go in early to euthanize dogs by holding them in my arms and gently helping them escape an uncaring world without trauma or pain and to spare them from being stabbed haphazardly—while they were fully conscious, terrified and aware—in the general vicinity of their hearts with needles blunt from reuse and left to thrash on the floor until they finally died by the callous people who would arrive later to do the job.

I always wonder how anyone cannot recognize that there is a world of difference between painlessly euthanizing animals out of compassion—aged, injured, sick, and dying animals whose guardians can’t afford euthanasia, for instance—as PETA does, and causing them to suffer terror, pain, and a prolonged death while struggling to survive on the streets, at the hands of untrained and uncaring “technicians,” or animal abusers.

Diamond was suffering from a painful facial tumor that was slowly eating away at his face
wound
Sasha had a severely infected bite wound
wound

It’s easy to point the finger at those who are forced to do the “dirty work” caused by a throwaway society’s casual acquisition and breeding of dogs and cats who end up homeless and unwanted, but at PETA, we will never turn our backs on neglected, unloved, and homeless animals—even if the best we can offer them is a painless release from a world that doesn’t have enough heart or homes with room for them. It makes it easy for people to throw stones at us, but we are against all needless killing: for hamburgers, fur collars, dissection, sport hunting, the works. PETA handled far more animals than 2,069 in 2012. In fact, we took in more than 10,000 dogs and cats and work very hard to persuade people to spay and neuter their animals and to commit to a lifetime of care and respect for them. We go so far as to transport animals to and from our spay/neuter clinics, where they are spayed or neutered and given vet care, often for free! Since 2001, PETA’s low- to no-cost spay-and-neuter mobile clinics, SNIP and ABC, have sterilized more than 50,000 animals, preventing hundreds of thousands of animals from being born, neglected, abandoned, abused, or euthanized when no one wanted them. And on a national level, PETA is focusing on the root of the problem through our Animal Birth Control (ABC) campaign.

Big Girl was still alive when a field worker found her
Still Alive

If anyone has a good home, love, and respect to offer, we beg them: Go to a shelter and take one or two animals home. The problem is that few people do that, choosing instead to go to a breeder or a pet shop and not “fixing” their dogs and cats, which contributes to the high euthanasia rate that animal shelters face. Most of the animals we took in and euthanized could hardly be called “pets,” as they had spent their lives chained up in the back yard, for instance. They were unsocialized, never having been inside a building of any kind or known a pat on the head. Others were indeed someone’s, but they were aged, sick, injured, dying, too aggressive to place, and the like, and PETA offered them a painless release from suffering, with no charge to their owners or custodians.

Every day, PETA’s fieldworkers help abused and neglected dogs—many of them pit bulls nowadays and many of them forced to live their lives on chains heavy enough to tow an 18-wheeler—by providing them with food; clean water; lightweight tie-outs; deworming medicine; flea, tick, and fly-strike prevention; free veterinary care; sturdy wooden doghouses stuffed with straw bedding; and love.

What we see is enough to make you lose faith in humanity. One pit bull we gained custody of, named Asia, looked like a skeleton covered with skin when PETA released her from the 15-pound chain she had been kept on for years. Asia suffered from three painful and deadly intestinal obstructions, which prevented her from keeping any food down. She faced an agonizing, lingering death, so our veterinarian recommended euthanasia to end her suffering. We pursued criminal charges against those responsible for her condition, leading to their conviction for cruelty to animals. That is just one of the dozens of cases we see every week.

The majority of adoptable dogs are never brought through our doors (we refer them to local adoption groups and walk-in animal shelters). Most of the animals we house, rescue, find homes for, or put out of their misery come from miserable conditions, which often lead to successful prosecution and the banning of animal abusers from ever owning or abusing animals again.

Santana had facial injuries so serious that his right eye was swollen shut and his jaw was ripped and hanging
Facial Injuries

This dog was suffering from advanced cancer
Cancer

As long as animals are still purposely bred and people aren’t spaying and neutering their companions, open-admission animal shelters and organizations like PETA must do society’s dirty work. Euthanasia is not a solution to overpopulation but rather a tragic necessity given the present crisis. PETA is proud to be a “shelter of last resort,” where animals who have no place to go or who are unwanted or suffering are welcomed with love and open arms.

Please, if you care about animals, help prevent more of them from being born only to end up chained and left to waste away in people’s back yards, suffering on mean streets where people kick at them or shoo them away like garbage, tortured at the hands of animal abusers, or, alas, euthanized in animal shelters for lack of a good home. If you want to save lives, always have your animals spayed or neutered.

See more about how PETA saves animals.

Comments

• Vera says:

I’ve been involved with rescue for 20+ years. i’ve seen the worst of the worst. We do what we can, but the reality is that there are too many animals and not enough good homes. Until mankind becomes more compassionate, euthanizing will be our reality. It sure beats the lives that so many of the rescues I’ve seen have endured in their short, miserable lives. Thanks to PETA the world has become more aware of human cruelty … now it’s up to the world to begin their more compassionate journey – including not eating the carcasses of tortured “food” animals.

• Steve A says:

I have been a member of PETA for more than 2 decades. However, I am saddened that PETA has taken on the No Kill movement when No Kill done properly, achieves incredible success. Breeds specific euthanasia is as well supported by PETA and I find that horrible as i have known many sweet Pit bulls.

• colleen says:

i truly cannot believe this. wow

• cat5305 says:

hi this is horrible

• colleen says:

ruffffff

• colleen says:

While I agree that PETA is working as hard as possible to help neglected and injured animals, I do not think that a surplus of animals needing care justifies putting down so many of them. I understand that PETA does not have the funds or labor force to care for all of the animals they find, but I do not think that the organization is doing enough to raise awareness about the issue. I have not heard anything in the news lately about PETA encouraging pet owners to adopt from shelters rather than get “designer pets” from pet shops and breeders. I think PETA should push for legislation that bans pet shops from selling pets or at least puts a limit on the number of pets they can breed and sell. If something as large as that cannot be done, I at least think that PETA owes it to the animals to advertise adopting from shelters more. Has PETA ever tried to enact legislation of this sort?

• Onaghini says:

the problem is not that there are too few homes and too many animals, but rather that humans are choosing to live in a way that bars the existence of any other beings. They pave everything with oil so their machines can rampage around to take them to be wage slaves for corporations. Living inside a person’s house is no life for an animal either. Trapped inside all the time/most all the time. It is not decent for any animal, including humans, but they can choose that. the problem is that the animal is forced. Not allowed to choose most times. Until humans stop destroying the environment, and then complaining there are too many animals, we are wasting our damn time. You people quit living like barbarians, you machine people that are killing the atmosphere, still driving cars, paying taxes, and pretending you don’t know what the damn problem is.

• Yogesh Khandke says:

Why not press for a ban on breeding and selling dogs, cats and other animals?

• LizSlater says:

I think ‘Sasha’ could still be alive today, was amputation an option? I feel like adopting every blind, deaf or 3 legged animal I see! I’m sure there are people that would love to adopt a special-needs cat or dog. I know lots of dogs and cats are put down that are perfectly healthy and fit for adoption.

• KatWrangler says:

I understand euthanasia when an animal is sick and suffering, but just because an animal is unwanted, surplus, or homeless does not make killing them right. Spay/neuter is the only way to go. In shelters cats are the mostlikely to be killed. I realize there are so many cats, but they do get short shrift in shelters. Dogs will be fostered and given a chance at life, but and I know this from personal experience, cats are considered 2nd class and not worthy of the time, effort or funds. So I stopped volunteering, and do not give anything but supplies to any group. This is sad but true, and needs to change, if we can really call ourselves animal lovers. If you’re an animal lover, work for ALL animals, not just those doggies.

• Joanne says:

In my book, the only time it’s acceptable to kill animals is the same as the only time it’s acceptable to kill people: when their illness is painful and terminal. Anything else is a speciesist double standard. As soon as I hear of a campaign to kill homeless people because it’s “more humane,” then I might consider it an acceptable option for homeless animals too.

• Lila says:

It is sad that euthanasia has to happen, but we know whose fault that is. A friend of mine went to volunteer at a cat rescue, which was really a room with about 40 cats in it. Not a great quality of life there. However there are some other great rescue groups who work hard to find homes for animals. I am with PETA, for now there are just too many animals and not enough homes.

• Hannah B says:

the animal shelter in the bordering county next to me (montgomery county animal shelter,nc) has a 99% kill rate because they do not have funding to feed the animals. its sad. my high school is trying to get donations of dog food but there is so many people who just dont care. its sad when animals arent given a chane because of money.

• Eddie says:

You mean to tell me that only 5% of the animals PETA takes in qualify to re-home? And that 95% deserve to be euthanized? It doesn’t add up. PETA is responsible for more animal deaths than a shelter is. Do your homework Sheeple. Look up “PETA euthanizes” and see the number of adoptable animals PETA puts down.

• Jeffery Parks says:

I believe all living beings have a basic right to life. We are not the God’s of every other life form on this planet and as such, we have no jurisdiction to put down any “unwanted” animal unless we are doing so in compassion because the animal is in pain and doing so will ameliorate this suffering. I’m all for sterilizing pet’s to control the dog & cat population and then, in the case of cat’s, releasing them from where they were found, unless they are severely malnourished and are apparently unable to fend for itself. The real problem are people owning and breeding animals. EVERY dog and cat should be sterilized just as we require every such animal to have up-to-date rabies vaccination. And people making a living off of the suffering of dogs and cats, well, these places should be shut down and their property confiscated just as if they were a part of the illegal drug trade. I’m not against loving familie’s breeding a litter or two, but ONLY if it can be proven that each animal has been adopted, being cared for, up-to-date with it’s vaccinations….in essence, the seller has a responsibility to follow-up and make sure that the animal’s he/she has allowed to be brought into this world are being humanely taken care of…in perpetuity. Plus, EVERY animal owner should be licensed to own such animal. Just like the state requiring a driver’s license in order to drive, a license in order to ensure that you are aware of how to take care of another living being should be mandatory….and if it’s found you’ve neglected your pet(s), your license is invalidated and then criminal and civil statutes kick in. We’ve got to get a control on the alarming and burdgeoning pet population explosion….and it’s a human created problem which requires a human created solution…..and SIMPLY PUTTING ALL THE UNWANTED ANIMALS TO DEATH IS NOT THE ANSWER. God put the animal’s on our planet for Man’s benefit and for us to care and respect, but I know He must be greatly saddened at our lack of respect for those living beings and the planet He created that we’re destroying….all Gifts from God.

• sarah says:

So sad to see what people can do to an animal, I’ve lost faith in humanity a long time ago, just nice to see that there are still some good people out there.

• Stephanie says:

As a new member to a community, and just seeing animals being given to the local police department for animal welfare to take over-I called the animal welfare in this community to see what the guidlines are for this particular county in OK. I find it horribly sad that people are cruel to animals in so many ways, only adopt animals from pounds…Well, this particular shelter does NOT allow people in their doors. Is that legal? I find that very odd that they do not let people have the chance to find their possible missing or for someone like me wanting to save the beautiful puppies that were outside of my work being taken to animal welfare.-and given their rules or policies I’m NOT able to save those particular puppies or any other animal(s) in that facility. Can someone fill me in if that is legal please? There is a humane society that is funded solely from donations that TRIES to save as many as they can hold-but it is indeed a very small facility. Please help me understand what I or anyone else can do so that animal shelters can save as many lost or abadoned animals as possible. I understand that some have to be put down but I am talking about “healthy” animals that are NOT getting a chance at being saved. Please give me advice…thank you ..

• PAPPAPUMPED says:

I believe in uthanizing an animal if the animal is suffering from illness injuries,etc.But these sheleters slaughter millions of Cats dogs every year for nothing.I mean healthy animals.This is not acceptable in my opinion,no kill shelters are the thing of the future.There are over 200 no-kill shelters in North America,they are having great success.Think it is time for all sheleters to move in this direction.Spay/neuturing programs are a must.Come on animal lovers/activists lets wake up & stand up; no-kill shelter.KILLING! is wrong,I live across the road from a Humane Society/animal shelter,they killed over 200,000 animals in a 10 year period,30 too 40 or more cats are murdered eveyday,not too mention dogs & other animals.We are working @ present too try & convert this slaughter house into a NO-KILL!,we have a fight on our hands but we will win!

• Elizabeth says:

The saddest thing is how so much could be prevented by simply spaying and neutering your pets…when I grew up, we took countless kittens and cats to the shelter. It sickens me now. Everybody in my house is spayed or neutered. Don’t want that on my conscience! Too much sadness already. AND, teach your children well! If that type of cruelty is accepted in your eyes, how can your children know better? Show your animals love, kindness and concern, respect and they will too!

• chris mac says:

Thank goodness there are people like yourselves out there ! I do my best to help all & any animal & if I were rich I would open my own animal care facility, I would spay animals for free, to hopefully reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies in animals that are already dealing with a terrible life. But people like yourselves are the bravest of all, you understand when the saddest things have to be done & do it, in the interest of the creatures, bless you all ! And may your good & humane behaviour touch some of those who would never think twice about an animal as anything more than a whipping post. There is so much sadness for creatures in this world, it truly makes you ask about the quality of ‘human’ out there !! Merry Christmas to you all !!!!

• carmen cru says:

This is simply compassion. No one could accept that an animal suffers this without helping to pass in peace and painless sourround. PETA is barely known in Europe and nearly not at all in France where I live and speak about every day, I’m proud to belong and know we’ll succeed, even if it takes time. My baby grandson will grow up in a better animal friendly world because of people like you. Thanks.

• Ellesar says:

CHOOK and anyone else who has to give up their companion animal for whatever reason – The chances are that the animal WILL be euthanised. The shelter cannot keep them long to find them a good home, and the numbers of animals far outweigh the adopters. CHOOK – I think it would have been better if you had tried to find a home for your cat yourself, as the reality is that she is probably dead now. Sorry to sound harsh, but you did a cop out there – leaving the decision to someone else and not feel yo have blood on your hands cos you don’t know for sure.

• Chook says:

This is very sad. I just had to take my cat to the animal shelter today because I just moved house and unfortunately could not look after her. It was very sad to give her up and I am hoping that she will be able to go up for adoption. I was quite upset when the lady behind the desk had told us that if my cat does not pass for a behaviour test and health test that she would be put to sleep. My fiancé had told her that kitty (our cat) had recently been traumatised when she went roaming outside (as she is an indoor cat) and now she can be a bit shy and takes a bit to warm up to people. She then made sure to tell us that this behaviour will go against her in the behaviour test because people want friendly pets. I was quite upset to hear her say that because I know with the right owner, she will be the most loving pet. I just hope she can be put up for adoption.

• Breezypony says:

My dog died of none cancer last year she had a tumor so we took her the the vet so he amputized her front leg and she did fine for a month but the cancer spread and we had to put her down but I remember all the good times we had with her the first day after the surgery she was p and walking around I remember how if you walked out of the room and came back shed be like woah who are you and she’d chase you I miss my baby girl do much RIP Patches :( <3

• Maggie T. says:

this is really sad… it’s breaking my heart to see all this, but is true, I know that we have to work hart to let everybody knows that this animals need help, they can not talk, but peopple like us we can do it for them, please continue supporting this cause.

• Catherine K says:

I couldn’t read the article because the pictures were too disturbing and I had to scroll down as quickly as possible to avoid seeing them.

• Karen Barry says:

Death is bad enough maybe, but life is much more horrific and painful, for these beautiful animals, unattended and left to die a heinous death, through neglect, and total indifference for any life.!!!! MAY THEY SUFFER, THE WORSE DEATH POSSIBLE, THESE PERPS AND DEMONS, THAT AFFLICT THIS ON ANIMALS.!!!! NO EXCUSES.!!!!!!

• Lida says:

I agree that it is both necessary and tragic that you must Euthanize animals, particularly when they have injuries &/or disease which makes every second on this planet a dreadful torture. Naturally, the sheer volume of animals received by well, most Shelters unfortunately means that a “No Kill” Policy is not a realistic way to provide care for those most likely to have a good outcome re adoption etc. I find it hard to believe that people can be so callous as to let their so-called “companion” animals get into such appalling states such as in the photos in this article. A few years ago, my beloved cat of 12 years (rescued as a kitten) suddenly became EXTREMELY ill over the space of about a week. I knew it was cruel to keep him alive in the state he was in as I suspected his organs were going into shutdown – but I had to seek the advice of no fewer than FIVE Vets before I found one both sensible and compassionate enough not to insist on keeping my poor cat alive for another week to conduct unnecessary tests ($4000 worth and invasive) in a cage in a Vet. Hospital before he released him from his suffering. Being in that room and holding my cat’s paw as he was put to sleep was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done – but I think it was infinitely better than watching him suffer any longer.

• Sharon says:

I would much rather see an animal painlessly euthanized than suffer from illness, or worse, be subjected to torture at labs and schools in the name of science. If u had the choice of being tormented in those awful experiments day after day or a painless death, which would you choose?

• Boxing For The Cause says:

Such a depressing thing to see a poor dog that has done nothing wrong have half of his face torn off. I cry every time i see anything related to animal abuse.

• Rachida says:

Peta you’re doing what you can, i have confiance in your work, i’m very happy that you do what you do, i’ve a whole lot off respect for your work,i understand the need of ABC,we should learn kids and adults the importance of ABC, or thaking a shelter dog, instead spend a lot of money buying a pedigree dog,or worse buying from bad breeders for less money, or buying in store’s, i think that the goverment must forbid animal store’s, we need some rules if we like to keep an animal, rules like chip every animal so owner can be found, castrating/sterilyse if you’re not a certifyd breeder, maby that is possible? I can’t understand that some people are so cruel/heartless to hurt or mal treed an animal, and if i only look how consumption animals are treaded, then i’m a schamed to be from the human race, i’ve made faults to in the past, i bought 3 times dog’s in a store not realising that the came from falsebreeders,who breed only for the money, and that the motherdogs were only breedmachines, in dark stables, thats why i think of education people, so they’re more aware! I would i could do something to make a better world, but i’m ill and paralysed, i love to donate but i need the little money i have tho take care of my own animals, thats why i’m so happy that people from PETA exist!!! Please keep up the good work, and the people who say bad things or trow stones, think then that those poor fools are unknown! Thank YOU FOR WHAT YOU’RE DOING, and know that my heart is broken too, by al the painfull causes i see,reed and receive. sincerely Rachida.

• Woof Woof says:

when i was 10, I found my Rottwieler Greatdane cross in a bin, i brought him to the vet and they had to take his left eye and his extra left eye (He had three eyes, probably why he was abanodoned) now, Im 13 and Orion is now estimated to be 4. now Orion look happy, looks like he’s having a great time in the park and enjoys his swim. but is it cruel to leave him with one eye or is it okay, my sister has a grey hound who was born with no eyes and he seems perfectly happy, he’s 4 months old and he plays like a normle dog and he plays with Orion.

• Traude Fauner says:

For these poor animals death is a relief if nothing else can be done for them. Hope my dog will still be with me for several years, it’s 6 years old now. I thank God for this compagnon

• Theresa says:

These pictures just break my heart. I dont work in a shelter but i do foster dogs and I feel that the breeders need to totally stop breeding. There are so many perfect animals being put down in our shelters and these morons keep bring in more unwanted Dogs. I am only one person but I will do all that I can do to help eithere it be by my fostering and by spreading the word. I dont like humas to much after seeing these pictures, how can they let there pets get this way

• Meira says:

As a long-time pet own and foster parent of many cats and dogs, I’ve been holding the animal during quite a few euthanisations, both in a vet’s office, an SPCA, and a super busy (30k+/yr) city shelter. I feel the need to speak up for the shelter employees in my city, as I routinely witnessed them acting with incredible compassion. – the dog behaviorist, who spent weeks calming a violent court case dog so that when the court case was finally settled, the dog wouldn’t have to be muzzled, etc. The horrifically deformed litter of puppies aborted during a spay, and the mom’s whole uterus went to the euth room and each puppy was removed from the placenta and euth’d individually, so that they wouldn’t suffocate slowly. And the tragic anxiety-ridden foster girlie of mine, who was terrified of people unless they were reaching over a fence — it was a 20-something shelter worker, someone you’d probably judge if he drove past your house, who slid the needle in her vein so precisely that she was free from fear in literally 10 seconds. I’m sure there are plenty of people who work in shelters who are cruel and heartless, but that’s not true of all of them. Please don’t act as if it is.

• Amy Johnson says:

it’s not awesome to euthanize animals but it’s the less of two evils. In such a messed up world we can only do our best to help animals, sometimes we need to choose the less of two evils. It’s not fun and it’s not nice but what else can be done when the world is still so messed up!

• MakKemp says:

Please don’t put “technicians” in a negative light. As a Vet tech I have euthanized ferret babies and birds in the beginning of my career as well as dogs and cats later on. Not all of us are uncaring or unsympathetic.

• Barb says:

To Oledihard. Do not think that all animal shelters will do the right thing and immediately put the animal out of its suffering. There is a shelter near me that no matter what, holds the animal for 5 days (waiting for the owner to claim it), and in that time, there is NO medical treatment or even being seen by a vet. THEN…the animal still does not see a vet until someone pays money to adopt it. I adopted one that looked sick to me, and before the vet saw the dog, it died in its run. That poor dog had been suffering for 10 days before it died, and never seen by a vet.

• Monica says:

I work at an animal shelter that provides more than just the basic care. We have large kennels for the dogs as well as outside pens (every dog gets multiple chances to go outside during the day) and we have plenty of space for cats – including 2 rooms where there are able to roam freely. Unfortunetly, sometimes we get animals that are just not “adoptable” (meaning their aggressive or very unsocialized) and are euthanized. It’s a completely sucky situation because 99% of the time it is preventable. People need to do their part and raise their puppies or kittens – planned or unplanned – so that they are well socialized…and of course, get your pets spayed and neutered!!

• Heidi says:

I agree with Mica above that NO healthy animal should be euthanized unless he/she is physically compromised, irreversible pain or beyond hope as far as restoring any reasonable quality of life. I do commend PETA for its remarkable work in its activism, educating the public against animal abuse, promoting vegetarianism. Wake up, America! We are considered one of, if not THE, most prolific, wealthy, advanced, and civilized nation in the world. Is this the way to treat our best friend/s? Allow the slaughterhouse conditions to continue? No home for a dog, pet, bird, etc., etc? Just send him/her to the pound to put him/her “to sleep”. No homes or shelters? Maybe the good old USA can take some of those BILLIONS of dollars going toward useless programs that benefit nobody (too numerous to mention) … maybe take a “penny on the dollar” out of that money & throw Fido a bone, as well.

• Natalie says:

These photos are a painful reminder of reality. My heart hurts for each and every animal. I pray for them every night, that God will please numb each animal and take them home. PETA is a blessing and necessary to help balance the evil to good ratio. We all must do our part, every initiative to correct the wrongs goes a long way.

• Mica says:

Only animals who are suffering and in real pain should be put to sleep.I know the world is in a mess with so many homeless animals but am against a healthy animal being put to sleep.The animals who should be put to sleep are in China where the majority meet a wicked cruel end and so many are on the steets suffering and being abused.There has to be a Law wherby anyone obtaining a kitten or puppy has to have the animal speyed and puppy mills and all kind of breeders should be banned.Why the hell did this happen in the first place.Anyone who has a puppy/kitten and does not have the animal speyed should be put down themselves.Unfortunately this will go on and on because there are too many selfish greedy people in this world who dont really give a damn or consideration to the animal.Even in these hard times if you have a pet and finding it hard to keep there are cheaper brans of food and always charities out there to help with vet fees rather than throw the animal out on to the streets un/neutered.Please people in the world DO not be cruel to an animal, there is no need for being cruel, if you are, what is it with that brain of yours in that head? Neuter your pets and if you dont intend to for Gods sake do not have the animal in the first place!Simple common sence really.

• willy v says:

vet charged me $435. to euthanize my wonderful 12 year old shepherd.

• Mary says:

We put down millions of healthy animals each year. Its nice to give an abused animal a second chance, but sometimes the suffering must be put to an end. FOR the animal.

• Holly says:

I have had many a discussion with PETA detractors who are screaming about PETA killing animals in their kill, no kill shelters. I don’t understandy why those self rightous do-gooders don’t have any compassion regarding quality of life issues; as such *all* of PETA’s euthanisias are about helping those animals who’s quality of life is such that euthanasia is the kinder, gentler and most compassionate way to help them out of horrific pain. If these animals had the option they would have called Dr. Kavorkian(sp, RIP). But they cannot, so I thank God that PETA, as always, will do the painful work on behalf of all animals. And by doing so, they hasten the pets’ return home to God and a life free from torture and pain and to my mother, also Up There who I’m sure is holding all of them dear and near to her.

• Colleen Bainbridge says:

I live in Lancaster county where there is no PETA organization. We have a trap/neuter/release program through the local Humane League but, the demand is so high and waiting list so long it is sorely in need of help. How can I begin a PETA chapter here to help the animals that the Humane League can’t?

• Rachida says:

I’m behind you PETA! KEEP ON YOUR GOOD WORK, i agree don’t let those poor anymals suffer, And i fully spporting your action the sterilese/castrating animals, all owner must to that, there are already so much homeless and abandoneted animals in the world,why can’t people understand that it’s truly neccesary, the help your cat or dog, it’isn anylonger nice tho make a litter the and up on the street or schelter if they’re lucky, i have a lot of animals but they all “fixed”, no little ones, and the stay with us tell they die, they are like family, i love them so much and they love me back! We’re so happy together!! Keep on show the world these horrible picture of the sufferings of animals who are abused the homeless who are sick, only then people are going to understand why the must adopt en fix there animals to prevend to get little puppy’s/kittens/horses! Thank you for what you’re doing your GREAT, love you all Rachida!!!

• Kris says:

Thank you for all you do. I don’t understand why God does this to animals. I’m going to ask him when I get there. Humans can go to the doctor but animals can’t unless we help them. This is the saddest thing I’ve ever seen.

• Kathryn says:

I agree. It is wonderful to know that PETA and others realize that euthanasia is sometimes necessary. We just don’t have enough homes for the millions of cats and dogs without homes. At least let them have a merciful end. Thank you.