Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger Ban Angora

Written by PETA | December 16, 2013

After discussions with PETA, PVH Corp.—the parent company of Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, IZOD, ARROW, Van Heusen, and other brands—has confirmed that it’s pulling from its shelves and banning any products made with angora. The announcement follows the release of video footage—shot by a PETA Asia investigator in China, the source of 90 percent of the world’s angora fur—that shows workers violently ripping the fur from the bodies of screaming rabbits who have been tied by all four legs and stretched across a board or even suspended in the air.

By pulling all angora products from its international websites and shelves, PVH has done the right thing for animals and consumers. Angora production is cruel, and PETA urges all retailers to follow PVH’s example and show that cruelty to animals has no place in their stores.

Angora rabbit in cage 1

There are no penalties for animal abuse on rabbit farms in China and no standards that regulate the treatment of animals. PETA Asia’s investigator documented rabbits, who are highly sensitive and social animals, lying in shock and isolation inside tiny, filthy cages after having had their fur ripped out. This process is repeated every three months for up to five years before the rabbits’ throats are slit and they’re replaced by new rabbits, who will endure the same grim fate.

Other top companies—including H&M, Topshop, and Esprit—have halted production but have not committed to a ban and have chosen to squeeze every last dime out of these rabbits by continuing to sell off their current stocks of cruelly produced angora. Companies that are truly committed to ethical and responsible business would act swiftly and with pride and remove any angora from their inventories, just as Perrier did when it pulled its water from shelves worldwide after some of it was thought to be contaminated.

What You Can Do

You can help animals by banning angora wool (and other cruelly produced fashions) from your closet. For help putting together a fabulous, animal-friendly wardrobe, check out PETA’s How to Wear Vegan shopping site.

Comments

• Lesley says:

I am horrified by the barbaric treatment that these rabbits endure to provide angora. It is barbaric and unbelievably cruel. Is there a list of shops who stock angora products so that we ensure that we boycott them all.

• I have always been in love with animals. I get way more emotional over them then I do with other humans. Judge me or don’t. But, animals are HELPLESS. Watching only the first 5 seconds of one of those videos of the rabbits fur being ripped off, then turning the video off and crying about it, is what made me join PETA today so I can help stop this ridiculous, immoral, unethical, and absurd actions for those poor, helpless adorable rabbits.

• Linda Waters says:

Horrific..Barbaric..Shameful, all for the greed of man!

• Ashley says:

Forever21 also has angora products. :(

• Esmeralda mancini says:

Totally support stop sales of angora wool , will share this site with everyone for more support. So cruel should not be happening . Wish the right person would act and do something about this cruelty .

• Yamilex Hernandez says:

;0…. I think I’m gonna cry. T-T We’ve got to help these poor bunnies!!! MOX!!!

• Kara says:

Unbelieveable.

• Kara says:

This is unbelieveably, ridiculously, incredibly CRUEL, to say the least. What I don’t understand is how someone can be so oblivious to the screams of pain and terror coming from the animal. When I hear something like that, I just about burst into tears. It’s crazy how one person can just ignore something that will likely haunt them later on. But if someone can be so heartless, what will stop someone else from doing it? 55 million people commenting and posting online just isn’t enough. Sure you can spread awareness by using your fingers to type, but the thing that people really respond to is a voice. Something that can be heard. Some people are too lazy to write, go online, or read. We want to make sure that EVERYONE is aware. We need to speak for these animals who don’t have a voice. So raise yours. Raise your voice! Let people know what’s happening is wrong! Don’t go out and start spitting out things if you don’t know whether they are true or not, but make sure it’s heard wherever you are!

• I am appaled by this! I will never by another Gap product again!
    Please stop the needless suffering, of these innocent little creatures. :(

• Siri Sture says:

I watched the video and it brought tears in my eyes. I will definitely work more to get this type of activity to stop soon.

• Rena Lee says:

I just watched your video about the furs being ripped off of angora rabbits and was horrified. Thank you for making me aware of this cruelty.

• Jo Wiest says:

Stop the torture of rabbits. Stop selling rabbits.

• Theresa Couto says:

I will not shop at the GAP or anywhere else that sells angora fur products. I’ve posted your video on Face Book to all my friends and encouraged them to so the same.

• Nichole says:

I can’t believe The Gap! I wouldn’t expect this from them.

• Hit them in the pocketbook…refuse to shop at the Gap Inc.,

• beagomez2013 says:

I will not buy anything on GAP anymore!!

• Lore Harmison says:

When will Humans ever stop degrading, hurting and killing our Animals.

• Carol Batten says:

I’ll will be spreading the word.

• camilla jones says:

Its terribly sad with what is happening to these poor animals globally. One would think that the fashion and cosmetic industry would have more empathy for these animals, but then, it is the people buying the stuff that is more infuriating.

• DrBen says:

Angora is nice stuff for girls, but we stopped buying any of it since we found out and saw the video. A lot of products are derived from animals but this stuff is just too cruel.

• Azita-Amirebrahimi says:

Stop fur production Please,,, harm to animals prohibited Please…