Bush Pardons Bird Killer

Written by PETA | November 26, 2008
answeringingenesis / CC
Bald eagle

Sometimes the headlines I see are just too surreal. This AP story reports that President Bush, who has been notoriously stingy with pardons, yesterday granted pardons to a batch of 14 criminals—among them a man who entered a guilty plea for unlawfully killing three bald eagles in the state of Missouri.

Turns out the convicted criminal, Leslie Owen Collier, laced hamburger meat with pesticide in an attempt to kill coyotes. But, seeing as coyotes aren’t the only animals who eat (I think I read that in a book somewhere …), he ended up killing several other animals, including bald eagles. He was sentenced under the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act. Even though the deaths of the bald eagles might be considered accidental, it’s still pretty clear that Collier’s intention was to poison animals. That’s not so much OK in our book.

If we are so forgiving toward those who would wantonly kill wildlife, couldn’t we pardon a few more turkeys this year? Or hey, if that’s too radical—let’s just pardon the turkeys who haven’t violated the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, OK?

Written by Sean Conner

Comments

• Bill, Sask, Canada says:

Standing ovation to Jeremy Storly a man who lives in my region of North America. Sad to say but most blogs regarding wildlife are filled with frustrated hunters and some farmers who want to wipe out animals like wolves and coyotes.

• Elissa says:

maggy I don’t get it in your post to kurt on November 28 2008 0637 PM you wrote “People have overpopulated this countryjust one more reason for proabortion.” How can you support sucking out baby brains and preach animal rights?

• Wkm says:

I would love to see a bald eagle just once. This bozo creep has killed three of them.

• Christine, NY says:

Its definitely not okay but he did go to jail…for a while. This guy is locked up with rapists and murders people are VERY quick to judge others. Have you ever been to prison? Not a nice placeplus he is trying to elevate the already crowded prisons. Would you rather him let someone whos killed people out? Just a reminder he didnt get away scott free not only does he have a record and did serve some time. Perhaps instead of throwing them into prison PETA could set up some seminars on humane removal of pests from their crops fields and livestock. This guy is by no means a saint but in different regions people consider animals pests especially when their main source of income in their livestock crops or fields. If PETA would go out to some main farming areas and set up shop with the goal in to teach rather than teach theyd benefit their organization and the animals.

• Brien Comerford says:

George Bush personifies a Christian hypocrite who always invokes reverence for God while treating God’s creatures with ungodly and deadly irreverence.

• lynda downie says:

Maybe you’ve all heard this joke before but just on the off chance someone hasn’t here goes How many vegans does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Answer 2 one to screw in the lightbulb and the other to read the ingredients on the package. How many meateaters does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Answer None they want to remain in the dark.

• Maya, CVT says:

Thank you very much Elphaba. Yes is does seem like some people are here to bait others and I get really frustrated as well but maybe there are “lurkers” who will read the comments and learn something as well. I think Chris C. is still around occasionally. And I do wish there was some indication of who changes their behavior and who does not but it’s hard to say on this kind of forum.

• Kurt K says:

Elphaba and Maggy I don’t understand what was so bad about my statement. I wasn’t trying to pick a fight with anybody I just get really annoyed when people can say such bad things about a person without knowing all the facts. I am not defending the mans actions. It upsets me that a bald eagles had to die I think they are beautiful representation of our country. I am not defending the man for killing coyotes. If it was not necesity to kill these animals then I think the man was wrong. Having said that I believe a person is innocent until proven guilty however on this blog everybody is guilty if they are not alligned with PETA’s philosophy. If I was on the blog to pick fights you would see me commenting on every post. I don’t because sometimes I actually agree with some of the things you are fighting for. Sometimes I feel I have to comment on some of the crap that is posted. All I wanted to know was why did this man posion the coyotes? Maybe he did try other solutions that didn’t work and maybe he didn’t. My point was we should find out before we crucify this man.

• Frank says:

Well that’s just another one of the outstanding decisions of the Bush administration isn’t it? Not that Bush gives a rat’s ass about the idiot who thought that poisoning animals was a great idea no doubt a family tradition and wasn’t bright enough to consider the consequences. Any of the Bush administrations support for environmental animal rights and human rights criminals is a conscious kick in the face of the people who try to reverse what is wrong with the planet. It’s his way of saying ‘you will never succeed there is always going to be someone in power who can make a parody of all your efforts and any progress.’ That idiot should have thrown his poisoned hamburger on the grill instead at least he wouldn’t have threatened any endangered species.

• maggy says:

Kurt You suggested that someone movewell why don’t you just stay off boards like this? Stick to to your hunting boards. People have overpopulated this countryjust one more reason for proabortion. We have turned this beautiful country into a stinking cesspool and people like you want to kill off what is left of the animals instead of trying to get along with them. They are either a nuisance to you or you just want to kill them so you can brag about it. You people are just sick! Bush is an idiot and so are you. This killer of bald eagles should go back to jail!

• Maya, CVT says:

Thank you so much Carla! Have a beautiful and blessed holiday!!

• Elphaba says:

Kurt why are you here? You seem more interested in picking fights with animal rights advocates than learning about animal rights. Loathed though he was I miss Dr. Cochran. He at least asked good questions and initiated discussion about animal issuesand discussion about animal issues between the various viewpoints is very importantwhile you only seem to want to bait people Kurt. I think we should all ignore Kurt. I do think it was noble of you Maya to have responded so politely and brought the point back around to the animals and I’m glad there is a nice little summary that lots of people will see there but Kurt does not seem to want explanations. He seems to want to fight and I just think advocates have better things to do with our energy than argue and I hate it when people like this are successful at diverting it. Grr Kurt K grr. Dr. Cochran are you still out there?

• Minnie says:

But no matter what we should never never give up trying in every way we can…50 years ago in this country there were “colored water” fountains and today we have just elected a Black President…there is hope!! Yes we can be so thankful that there is hope and we can change.

• Carla says:

Well put Maya!! All your posts are refreshing to read!!

• Blu says:

Kurt I can AND will jump down anyone’s throat who choses to poison an animal instead of going a more humane route most poisons don’t work right they don’t kill instantly it isn’t humane at all!. And I didn’t chose to move into the wilderness. I live in apartment complex that has poisonous snakes huge spidersincluding Black Widows and Brown Recluses ducks and tons of birds. We also get rats and mice in the area not to mention TONS of squirrels. Sometimes these animals make it into our abodes. We chose to live here so we don’t poison or kill them. They get released back outside REGARDLESS of their natureyes even the insects and arachnids. I’m sure he wasn’t living in an apartment complex he was out in the woods. My point is that there is NEVER a reason someone HAS to poison an animal. It was a stupid decision that had big consequences and one he should of had to pay more for. Contacting your local wildlife resources center can provide tons of help in any situation regarding local wildlife in your area. They can even help relocate wildlife out of newly developed land to help protect children livestock AND the local wildlife! . Hopefully he learned his lesson but pardoning is another word for forgivingexcusing. Telling someone it’s ok…. and I’m most sorry but it is NOT. I think Bush was wrong to pardon this person. Sorry if my opinion upset you

• kelly says:

Hey Everyone!! Your tax dollars are at work POISONING WILDLIFE PETS thanks to the sleazy livestock industry and our government working together httpwww.predatordefense.orgUSDA.htm httpwww.hsus.orgwildlifewildlifenewswildlifeservicesslethalplanisnothingtocrowabout.html httpwww.npr.orgtemplatesstorystory.php?storyId9453867

• Jeremy Storly says:

Like many Ricky has apparently been raised to fear wildlife rather than live in peace with it. Coyotes are generally harmless. In the 1800s cattle herders would even allow coyotes to run with their herds. It is a very modern notion to actually fear predators like coyotes. I live in South Dakota where I peacefully coexist with many animals including badgers foxes and skunks. I have encountered these animals regularly yet have never been attacked bitten or sprayed. The myth of “Us vs. Them” is a lie perpetrated by hunters and other special interests. Fear of these creatures is always based on ignorance and it is therefore difficult to explain the truth to those who have accepted these lies as the truth for their entire lives. Living in harmony is letting go not controlling admiring not destroying. Letting go and accepting nature as she is takes courage destroying and poisoning is the act of a coward.

• Shari says:

OH BELIEVE YOU ME BUSH CHENEY have MORE IN STORE for ‘the sheeple’ of this country before 12009 you just WAIT and see KEEP your eyes ears OPEN for the signs! NOW do you REALLY think the DEVIANT DUO are willing JUST YET to give up their power that easily? The ‘orchestrated’ financial crisis is JUST the beginning of what’s to come! LOL apparently life’s lessons were NOT learned by past history’s MOST DEVASTATING mistakes! If you don’t believe me DO your homework! Forget ALL distractions NOT relevant to survival! Peace Love TRUTH

• vegancoin says:

And the sweettalking “nuclear” neocon xtian cowboy from texas has spoken. absolutely nothing GWBush says or does surprises me anymore. this is like a scene out of a bad movie. We are living in the macho man dark ages as far as commonsense and living a compassionate and cruelty free lifestyle is concerned.

• Maya, CVT says:

Kurk hi friend! Long time no see! Sadly coyotes and other wildlife that appear in our back yard have no where else to go because their habitat has been replaced by concrete development Walmart apartment complexes etc. They have no where else to go. It’s so sad people buy a house in the middle of the country and then God forbid they should see a wild animal. And even in the most remote areas of America it is exceedingly rare that a child is killed by a coyote. Cats that are kept indoors and dogs who are watched carefully are also extremely safe from coyotes. If this man bought land out in the middle of nowhere it’s not all Bambi and Thumper. All kinds of wild animals live and raise young across our great nation. They depend on us to act reasonably. Anyone who fears that a wild animal will harm them can EASILY find hundreds of large cities where seeing a carnivorous wild animal is less likely than seeing the Loch Ness Monster. If the man wanted to live free of coyotes he can move to the city. Peace be with you Kurt I hope you have a nice holiday!

• ratking says:

i don’t pardon bush!

• Kurt K says:

Blu Why don’t you move then I’m sure wherever you live animals had an ancestral claim to you home too. The question that needs to be asked is why did this guy have to poison these coyotes? He may have done so to protect his children pets livestock etc. Let us first get the full story before we jump down this guys throat.

• Ricky says:

Bush not only is guilty of crimes against humanity but all life all sentient and nonsentient life. Only hope is that the pres elect can truely change the course we are on.

• Blu says:

Doesn’t surprise me. I swear our planet will continue backsliding into the freaking dark ages until we collectively understand and act on the fact that ALL life is equal. Poisoning ANY animal is a cowardly act. Can you not run outside and scare the animal away? Will you not look intimidating to another being half your size? Can you not build a fence or improve your land to prevent unwelcome guests? Then FREAKING MOVE. Don’t poison an animal who’s family probably staked their claim to that land generations ago. It is too often us as the intruders who seem to think we are in the right. “To insult someone we call him “bestial.” For deliberate cruelty and nature “human” might be the greater insult.” Isaac Asimov Isaac Asimov’s Book of Science and Nature Quotations 1988