Smoked Gouda ‘Cheese’ SaucePrint
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in warm water for at least 1 hour and drained, water reserved
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. white soy miso (or chickpea miso)
- 1 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
- Combine the cashews, 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the reserved soaking water, the lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and miso in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add up to 2/3 cup (160 ml) more Add 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder.
- Transfer the cheese to a small pot and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes, until it’s thickened but still drips slowly off a spoon. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Makes 6 servings
Recipe from But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan!: 125 Recipes to Win Everyone Over © Kristy Turner, 2016. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com
Try this “cheese” on Kristy Turner’s French Onion Soup!