When temperatures rise in the summer, cooking gets complicated. Who wants to turn on the oven or stand over the stove?
With this recipe, problem solved. Whip up a batch of these spicy dill pickles, then leave them in the fridge for whenever you’re in the mood for a simple, cool, crunchy snack.
Spicy Dill Pickles
3/4 cup distilled vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. coriander
6 cloves garlic, halved
2 cups water
3 cucumbers, halved and then quartered lengthwise
2 long green chili peppers, halved
10 sprigs dill
- Combine the vinegar, salt, sugar, coriander, and garlic in a 1-qt. jar.
- Place a lid on the jar and shake it until the salt and sugar dissolve.
- In a pitcher, combine this brine with the water.
- Fill the jar with the cucumber spears.
- Slide the chili peppers and dill into the jar between the cucumber spears.
- Pour the brine mixture over the pickle spears until the jar is full to the top.
- Seal the jar and refrigerate for up to a month.
The longer the pickles sit, the more potent the dill and chili pepper flavors will be. For those with a low tolerance for spiciness, simply use 1 chili pepper instead of 2.
Makes one jar of 24 pickle spears.