While students are sitting in classrooms, animals are being abused in the name of science—often on the taxpayer’s dime. Learn about the horrors being carried out by the companies and universities listed below, and speak up! Let them know that testing on animals is cruel and bad science and that modern non-animal methods exist.
- Bio Corporation drowned birds, injected crayfish with chemicals, and reportedly froze turtles to death. The bodies of these animals were then sold to schools for classroom dissection. Urge school districts to stop cutting up dead bodies and instead to use superior and humane teaching methods.
- Bird killer Christine Lattin trapped wild songbirds, put them in a cloth bag, disoriented and terrified them by rolling them around on a cart, and restrained them for 30 minutes at a time, four times a day. Some birds were fed crude oil, and others’ legs were wounded without any pain relief. After weeks and sometimes months of repeated abuse, they were then killed. Previously at Yale University, Lattin now works at Louisiana State University (LSU), where she plans to resume her hideous experiments on birds. Text FLY to 73822* to tell LSU not to allow her to continue to torture songbirds.
- Experimenters at Duke University deliberately kept 10 macaque monkeys thirsty–—probably for days—in order to coerce them into cooperating in an experiment on sex and power in advertising. They made the monkeys use computer touch screens to select brand logos—such as those of Pizza Hut and Nike—based on their pairings with pictures of a dominant male monkey, a subordinate male, or the hindquarters of a sexually receptive female. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) paid for this ridiculous experiment with taxpayer money, doling out more than $650,000 in 2018 alone.
- The University of Delaware’s Tania Roth claims to be studying child abuse by torturing rats. She has forced alcohol down their throats, injected them with opioids, electrically shocked them, and even taken newborns away from their mothers and given them to other rats who were unable to care for them. Roth has received $1.8 million in public funding to abuse these animals. Text TERROR to 73822* to urge the University of Delaware to stop funding these experiments now.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqCKPbsQnds
- Experimenters at Texas A&M University (TAMU) have bred dogs to develop a canine form of muscular dystrophy. This disease ravages their bodies, causing progressive muscle wasting and weakness. Video footage shows thin dogs who were caged in barren metal cells in the lab struggling to swallow thin gruel—the only food that they could manage to swallow. To gauge just how much a dog’s muscles have deteriorated, experimenters use a crude technique that could pass for medieval torture: They repeatedly stretch them with a motorized lever in order to cause muscle tears. Text PUPPY to 73822* to tell TAMU to close the dog lab NOW.
Want to do more? Call TAMU President Michael K. Young at 979-845-2217, and politely ask him to end these experiments and place the dogs up for adoption.