Vegan Whoopie Pie
For the pie:
6 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar
5 Tbsp. cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. Egg Replacer
2 Tbsp. warm water
1 cup soy or rice milk, plain or vanilla
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt (any kind)
For the filling:
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup vegan Suzanne’s Ricemellow Crème (or other vegan marshmallow
- With a beater, cream the vegetable shortening, the sugar, and the cocoa.
- Mix and add the egg replacer and the warm water.
- Add the soy or rice milk, the vanilla extract, the flour, the baking soda, and the salt.
- Beat together.
- Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheet. The size of the spoonfuls depends on your preference for small (more) or large (fewer) whoopie pies. I usually use heaping tablespoons.
- Bake 10 minutes at 375°F.
- For the filling, mix the powdered sugar, the vegetable shortening, and the marshmallow crème fluff.
- Spread some filling on one cake and cover with another cake. Repeat.
Preparation time: 30 minutes Baking time: 10 minutes