1/2 lb. tempeh, sliced into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tsp. black pepper
1 garlic clove, sliced
1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 tsp. crushed garlic
3-4 fresh chili peppers, seeded and minced
1 tsp. lime zest
2 Tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 cup fresh basil
• Combine the tempeh, broth, black pepper, and sliced garlic in a small stockpot. Simmer over medium-low heat for 45 minutes. Remove from the heat.
• Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the tempeh for 5 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Remove and place on paper towels.
• Stir-fry the carrots for 3 to 4 minutes, or until softened but still crisp. Add the crushed garlic, chilies, and lime zest and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
• Mix in the soy sauce and sugar and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
• Stir in the basil and serve immediately with rice.
Makes 4 servings