Manchurian Vegetable Balls
For the Balls:
1/2 cup grated cabbage
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup grated cauliflower
1/2 cup finely chopped spring onions
1/2 cup finely chopped green peppers
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. corn flour
1 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp. green chili paste
1/2 tsp. black pepper
Oil for deep-frying
• In a large bowl, mix all the vegetables with the salt. Set aside for 30 minutes.
• Using your hands, squeeze the moisture out of the vegetables.
• Mix the remaining ingredients, except the oil for deep-frying, with the vegetables and form into balls.
• Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Fry the balls for 5 to 8 minutes, until golden brown.
For the Sauce:
1 Tbsp. oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp. minced ginger
1 tsp. minced green chilies
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1 Tbsp. chili sauce
1 Tbsp. corn flour, mixed with 1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp. minced spring onions
• In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic, ginger, and green chilies and sauté for 1 minute.
• Add the remaining ingredients, except the spring onions, mixing well. Bring to a boil.
• Remove from the heat and stir in the spring onions and fried balls.
• Serve hot with steamed rice.
Makes 4 servings