Macadamia-Encrusted Seitan With Mango Broccoli Slaw
1/4 cup macadamia nuts
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 lb. seitan or faux chicken strips
1 cup soy milk
Mango Broccoli Slaw:
1 fresh mango
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. brown mustard
1 bag broccoli slaw (usually found near the cole slaw in the produce section)
2 tsp. minced shallot
1 Tbsp. grated ginger
Sea salt, to taste
Cayenne pepper, to taste
• Warm the oven to 400°F. Toast the macadamia nuts on a baking sheet for 10 to 15 minutes, until browned. Cool.
• In a coffee grinder or food processor, grind the nuts.
• Mix the nuts with the flour and season with salt and pepper.
• Moisten the seitan in the soy milk, then dredge in the nut mixture.
• Pan-fry on both sides until golden and crispy.
• Meanwhile, peel and cut the mango into 1/4-inch cubes.
• Wisk together the orange juice, vinegar, sesame oil, and mustard.
• In a large bowl, combine the broccoli slaw, shallot, and ginger, mix in the dressing, and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir in the cubed mango and season with salt and cayenne.
• Top with the pan-fried seitan.
Makes 4 servings