Egg Replacer equivalent of 1 egg
2/3 cup plain soy milk
1 1/4 cup yellow corn meal
1/2 cup unbleached flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. sugar (try Florida Crystals brand)
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup minced yellow onion
1/2 cup whole kernel sweet corn
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 jalapeño, seeded and diced (optional)
1/2 cup soy cheddar cheese (optional)
Vegetable oil, for frying
• Mix the egg replacer with the soy milk in a large bowl.
• Add the yellow corn meal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and pepper to the egg replacer-soy milk mixture. Stir in the onion, corn, green onion, jalapeño, and soy cheese until combined. Form into balls.
• In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes, or until it is 375°F.
• Add 4 to 6 hushpuppies to the hot oil (you will need to cook them in several small batches). Cook until golden brown and firm.
• Cool on a paper towel. Serve warm.
Makes 6-8 servings