Homemade Caramel Popcorn
10 cups popped popcorn
1/2 cup roasted peanuts
1/2 cup soy margarine (try Earth Balance)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
• Preheat the oven to 250˚F. Grease a large baking pan with a generous amount of margarine and set aside.
• In a large bowl or two, combine the popcorn and the peanuts and set aside.
• In a heavy saucepan, combine the margarine, brown sugar, and corn syrup and whisk over medium heat until the margarine melts. Bring to a boil and let cook, without stirring, for about 4 minutes, or until the mixture reaches 255˚F on a candy thermometer.
• Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, salt, and baking soda, then gradually pour over the popcorn and nuts, stirring to coat. Pour the popcorn into the baking pan and place in the oven.
• Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring often. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before storing.
Makes 10 cups