‘Gorgonzola’ Arancini (Risotto Balls)
2 qts. vegetable stock
1 Tbsp. olive oil
½ medium yellow onion, diced
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 lb. arborio rice
1 oz. white wine
1/8 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
1/8 bunch thyme, chopped
1/8 bunch rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
½ cup soy Parmesan cheese
6 oz. soy gorgonzola-style cheese
1½ cups Egg Replacer(mix with 2 cups water until medium-thick)
2 cups bread crumbs
1 qt. canola or peanut oil for frying
• Simmer the vegetable stock over low heat.
• In a large-bottom pan (roundeaux or Dutch oven works best), heat the oil, add the onion, and sauté until slightly brown. Stir, add the garlic, and sauté for about 2 minutes.
• Add the rice, sauté about 1 minute, and stir constantly.
• Deglaze with the white wine, add 2 cups of the vegetable stock, reduce the heat to medium-high, and stir occasionally until the liquid is gone.
• Continue to add 1 to 2 cups of vegetable stock at a time until the rice is cooked and creamy and the liquid is gone. Add the chopped herbs and nondairy “Parmesan.” Spread the rice mixture on a cookie sheet and cool.
• While the rice is cooling, form the “gorgonzola” into little balls about the size of a ½ tsp.
• Mix the egg replacer with water.
• Form the risotto into 1-oz. balls, then put the “gorgonzola balls” in the center.
• Coat the balls with the egg replacer and coat again with the bread crumbs.
• Heat the canola or peanut oil in a deep pan to 350°F. Deep-fry the arancini until brown.
Makes approximately 55 balls