Cruelty-Free on a Budget

While I certainly enjoy the full spectrum of cruelty-free products, I appreciate the convenience and value that come from popping into my local 24-hour drugstore at 10 p.m. when I have run out of health and beauty items. Cruelty-free products are now easier to find than ever, and you don’t need to spend a fortune—after all, maybe you are saving up a bit to splurge on some Stella McCartney boots for the fall! These days, you can easily fill up your cart with shampoo, conditioner, body wash, bubble bath, laundry detergent, and lip gloss and still pay less than $10. The following are some of my favorite cruelty-free thrifty finds:

Sun Laundry Care: Has a full line of detergents and softeners that typically cost anywhere from $1 to $3.

Wet n Wild Cosmetics: Luscious lip glosses, eye shadows, liners, and more. Generally priced in the $1 to $3 range. Markwins, the company that owns Wet n Wild, also owns the Black Radiance and Tropez cosmetic lines.

Jane Cosmetics: Lots of deep pigment eye shadows, lip colors, mascaras, and super conveniently designed packages of mineral make-up. Jane products start at around $3.

Happy budgeting!

Commenting is closed.
  • ahtis_ausstellung says:

rent a car :D

• Adrienne says:

I have a question about Jane Cosmetics on here it says that its cruelty free but on other sites it says they just dont test on animals. Is it fully vegan? I just want to know before I go and buy it haha

-adrienne

• Holly says:

what about Alberto VO5 shampoo? It’s usually around $1 for a bottle. It says that it’s not tested on animals and I when I asked the company about it, they sent me a statement that they haven’t tested on animals since the 80s. But I noticed that they aren’t on Peta’s no-test list. Were they lying? Or are they under a parent company that is on the list?

• Ingrid says:

Mylie,
    Why hasn’t White Rain applied for the “Leaping Bunny” logo? That’s how I identify animal-cruelty free products when I’m shopping and don’t have my cruelty-free list with me.

• Erica says:

Marie and Amanda,

I have to be honest… I’m far to lazy to do the research on my own to find products that are not only cheap and cruelty-free, but ones that don’t cause cancer or harm the environment. If you have specific product suggestions, that would be really helpful. Otherwise I’ll just stick to these cruelty-free suggestions and hope they don’t give me cancer.

• Marie says:

It’s great that these companies don’t test on animals, but cheap products often have other costs… namely social, health and environmental costs. I agree with Amanda; it’s important that we use SLS-free products. It’s also important that we make sure we use biodegradeable products in recycleable packaging; in order to treat animals ethically, we have to respect and protect their natural environments. We should look for organic ingredients, also. Pesticides are bad for us and for animals. Yes, products that meet all of these requirements are usually more expensive… so maybe we should focus on using less stuff instead of buying cheaper stuff.

• Tahler says:

Thanks so much!

• jess says:

elf cosmetics!

ohhh mylie, you are soo amazing. please teach me your more-awesome-than-martha-stewart-ways. im so not even joking. what’s your secret?

• Kathleen W, says:

Affordable & cruelty free- that’s great!

• randi says:

amanda – honestly, Peta doesnt really research carcinogen-free personal care items. as long as there are no animal ingredients, we’re good.

• Serena says:

Girl, let me tell you something. The other day I was in my local dollar store and I found White Rain hair gel. The stuff is amazing, cheap and totally jazzz!!!

• Amanda says:

While I love the idea of suggesting brands that are animal friendly, I would also like to know if you can tell me of brands that also don’t contain SLS’s.

Sodium Laurel Sulphate, Sodium Laureth Sulphate as well as other sulphate agents are added to shampoos and soaps and even toothpastes and research has proven that these are carcinogens.

I have a great recipe for homemade soap that is animal friendly as well there is a company that sells shampoo called Mastey, and their shampoos are both animal friendly, as well as SLS free.

I would highly recomend to people to not only search for products that are cruelty free but also contain natural ingredients for their own safety, since after all, animals won’t get any help if those of us that want to help them die prematurely from cancer caused by the ingredients in our daily products.