Noodleless Vegetable Lasagne (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
When I found out a few months ago that I was gluten-intolerant, I thought that I’d never get to taste lasagne again. I’d pretty much come to terms with this disappointing turn of events, but then I realized that noodles aren’t what I love most about lasagne. I love the fresh vegetables, creamy tofu ricotta, pungent garlic, and savory marinara sauce. Who needs noodles when you can revel in all that?!
Thanks to this recipe, I can enjoy all the flavors that I love without worrying about getting sick. So if you’re looking for a hearty meal that’s dairy-free, egg-free, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, or all the above, this is the recipe for you!
Noodleless Vegetable Lasagne
1 16-oz. package firm tofu
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 26-oz. jar prepared marinara sauce
3 medium zucchini, sliced
2 medium squash, sliced
3 cups sliced mushrooms
3 cups chopped spinach
1 cup shredded mozzarella-style vegan cheese (optional)
2 Tbsp. vegan Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Combine the tofu, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, basil, oregano, and garlic in a blender or food processor. Pulse until well blended and creamy. This is your tofu ricotta!
- Cover the bottom of a large baking dish with a thin layer of marinara sauce, then a layer of zucchini. Follow with a thin layer of tofu ricotta, and top with a layer of marinara sauce.
- Add a layer of squash, followed by a layer of tofu ricotta, then top with marinara sauce.
- Add the mushrooms, spreading evenly, followed by a layer of tofu ricotta, then top with marinara sauce. Repeat with the spinach, tofu ricotta, and marinara sauce.
- End with a layer of the remaining zucchini and squash, then top with the remaining marinara sauce.
- Cover with the shredded cheese, then sprinkle the Parmesan over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Makes 8 to 10 servings